News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identification of hesse-Darmstadt medal bar

Gentlemen:

I would apprecciate any information about the attached medal bar which I was able to buy last weekend in a small German antique auction. The medals:

1. Hesse-Darmstadt, Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen 1894 - 1918 "F?r Kriegsverdienst", real silver, awarded until 1917

2. Hesse-Darmstadt, Dienstehrenzeichen f?r h?here Hofchargen f?r 25 Dienstjahre in Gold, awarded 1897 - 1918

3. Hesse-Darmstadt, Hochzeitserinnerungsmedaille 1905

4. Saxon Dutchies, Ernestinischer Hausorden, Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse, solid gold

5. Hesse-Darmstadt, Ehrenzeichen f?r Kriegsf?rsorge, awarded 1915 - 1918. This medal is not affixed to the medal bar.

My questions:

-Is there any information, how many awards of # 2 were made and who got these?

-Is there a chance to trace the medal bar and find out the person?

Thank you!

The first and last medal are wartime and will not help with the ID. The middle three should make it possible to ID. What is the middle medal for? It is a beautifull bar. Great find.

The middle medal was given to all guests and officers in charge at the wedding ceremony of the Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt Febr. 18th 1905. I would guess that a maximum of 200 - 300 was awarded.

I bet when you contact the Staatsarchiv in Darmstadt, they would be able to trace your man through the Staatshandb?cher. Could you post a close-up of that middle medal, I would love to examine it more closely!!

:love::love::love:

Thanks

David

Edited by David M

I THINK with a Hessen court and state handbook will be a good chance.

Ernestinian knight 1st class means at least a Captains / Majors level civilian Beamter.

Hessen War time Medal (given to all ranks) plus the Jubillee plus a Hessen long service and NOHessen order makes me think he might have a Hessen Philipp as Officers pinback or Commander.

Best regards

Daniel

I THINK with a Hessen court and state handbook will be a good chance.

Ernestinian knight 1st class means at least a Captains / Majors level civilian Beamter.

Hessen War time Medal (given to all ranks) plus the Jubillee plus a Hessen long service and NOHessen order makes me think he might have a Hessen Philipp as Officers pinback or Commander.

Best regards

Daniel

Makes sense! At the same auction a Phillis order commanders set 2nd class, a Hesse Brabant order commanders set 2nd class and a Hesse key for Kammerherren were offered. And all the items came from one familiy, so all the stuff might have belonged to the owner of my medal bar.

Identifications and information transfer by PM? After having asked publically for an ID? We surely have become very secretive all of a sudden.

:(

I agree Ed. What?s going on here? :rolleyes:

I took some time to try, with my limited resources, to find this recipient; but came up empty. I am not well educated in the fine art of researching and identifying group recipients; but I am trying to learn. I would like to have known who the recipient is so that I can go back and see if I missed him (and how or why), or if he just wasn?t there in my material.

Value? Believe me, if value is to be an issue (and I fully understand this issue), don?t post it in the first place.

Bad Form! :angry:

Many thanks, I will go to the archive in Darmstadt and hope to find out more there!

militaria0815,

Which archives are there in Darmstadt?

I thought that the medal rolls and records had been destroyed during World War 2. Do you have any archive contact information for military records kept until 1918?

Many thanks in advance,

David