News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FW190 found in Russia!

Remarkable!

Judging by the condition of the aircraft, the pilot might have walked away from the wreckage, if he didn't bale out.

The trees are not very old and the plane may have landed in open countryside, which might explain why it seems to be so intact.

Does anyone know when and where the plane was found and how old the film clip is? Has the wreck already been "recovered"?

Hallo Gents, :beer:

seems the film crew were not the first to locate it as evident from some of the missing dials in the cockpit, still now we must wait and see when it will be offered on Ebay :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Yeah looks like a few instruments are missing although I believe it was standing orders for the pilot to remove the clock if at all possible so that might count for one instrument gone.

What a find!! O' to be the one that came across that one!

I take it that Russians aren't big hikers?

John,

No kidding! At least it would appear to be soon in German hands for a full restoration. I would say that the Russians are to some extent immune to exitement we feel when something like this is found. This kind of "junk" has littered the fields and forests of eastern Russia since the war. More than likely the locals find it, say "what's here that I can use?", take what they want and leave the rest. Then some foreigner comes along asking about this type of thing and the locals tell him "there's a tank in that river" or "there's a plane in the woods over there". The really hard part is then arranging with the government to be able to recover it, getting the permits to export it and the actual recovery operation. In a situation like this, God only knows how far back in the forest / swamp the plane is and the recovery will be extremely difficult. Definitely possible though. Thankfully no one stripped the insignia off it......yet.

Dan

I would absolutely love to be part of a restoration of this plane. I've always appreciated those who restore vintage aircraft. A friend of mine in California has a P-51D Mustang that he flies regularly as well as an all "silver" aluminum Cessna that he flies. I'd love to at least see it restored for a museum of flight.

:beer: Doc

That clip dates to the early 90's, and the FW belonged to JG 54 and was lost on a mission from Siverskaja airfield. Apparently there is alot of controversy about the restoration of this plane, with one group wanting it left in "as is" condition, while the other group supports the complete restoration which has been ongoing with this aircraft. Also, the remains of the pilot were supposedly found in the cockpit, and the bones were buried nearby, while personal effects were removed by local people.

Apparently there is alot of controversy about the restoration of this plane, with one group wanting it left in "as is" condition, while the other group supports the complete restoration which has been ongoing with this aircraft.

From a historical standpoint, restoration is the way to go. Otherwise it will just sit and decay until some later restorer has that much more work to do when it finally is restored. Whether it will be restored to flying condition and flown again depends on how bad it all is when they get it apart. I say restore it to flying condition, take a spin and then park it in a museum. I just hope they keep the same paint sceme and markings. If you find out any more about the plane, I would enjoy hearing about it.

Dan

Nevermind. Here is the link.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=109936

Edited by Daniel Murphy

That clip dates to the early 90's,

That is also about the time I saw this clip (on vhs) as well, there was more on the tape as well a friend at the time bought a SS helmet and dog tag which was pictured in the same video, as I remember it the russians also were digging up munitions and destroying them, will have to ask him actually is he still has that vid.

cheers

Gary