News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some ancient artifacts

Hello to all,

Eric is right, any cleaning of coins is a serious matter, specially when dealing with base metal. As Dan mentions, patinas are desirable. It is such a theme that in my decades collecting Roman coins I still prefer not to manipulate them. I rather leave that job to profesionals.

Dan, to scan the coins you normally have to play with the ilumination. There are so many Roman coins dealing with the military history of the empire and before the Empire. Here I just post a denary of the Imperatorial period (between the Republic and the Empire or Civil Wars Period) This coins was issued by Marc Antony (43-28 BC) and there is one for each legion. The coin here presented is of the 5th Legion as can be seen under the standarts and eagle LEG V. The other side presents a sailing Galley.

It is possible to have a Military History of Rome just from its coins. The weapons is just one of the subjects.

Eduardo

Hi Eduardo,

Emails sent. :D So many beautiful pieces and so much history in such small packages! It will never cease to amaze me. If only these small objects could talk... but of course that goes for so much of what we collect. One can only imagine the soldiers, merchants, politicians and rich and poor folk alike who all handled such coins and used them in everyday commerce. And they are also miniature works of art as well. An awful lot in such a small piece of metal.

Love the one you posted last... have seen several on Ebay but generally they're fairly worn down. There's one particular one I have been dying to get an example of... but I'll have to find an example to show you. The Emperor might have been Vespacian but on the reverse is an eagle which is very similar to that used on our Washington Quarter all these years... well at least before the state quarters altered the reverse design.

Dan :cheers:

• Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Dan, I guess you refer to this Vespasian Denary. The example in my collection is not of the best but you can get the idea. As you say, the Roman coins, as so many of the items in our collections, encase so much history: military, political, artistic and you mention it. I have a special passion for Roman coins. If you want to see some more pieces of the Flavian Dinasty have a look here: http://www.grifomultimedia.it/adg/monrom/flavia.htm#

Eduardo

Hello Dan, I guess you refer to this Vespasian Denary. The example in my collection is not of the best but you can get the idea. As you say, the Roman coins, as so many of the items in our collections, encase so much history: military, political, artistic and you mention it. I have a special passion for Roman coins. If you want to see some more pieces of the Flavian Dinasty have a look here: http://www.grifomultimedia.it/adg/monrom/flavia.htm#

Eduardo

Hi Eduardo,

Terrific site! :jumping::jumping: I'll be going through it in more detail later. Very enlightening and well laid out. :beer: And oh how I love the eagle on your coin! That is a beautiful piece! :jumping::love:

Many thanks for posting both. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

To all interested in military history and Roman coins.

I have just found this 10 years old web site that is fantastic. Not only deals with Roman coins related to military history: Legions, battles, warriors, but even has a section on the bricks made by the specialized personel traaveling with the legions and weapons. I have not gone through all the site but wanted to share this "discovery" with the friends in the GMIC.

http://www.romancoins.info/Content.html

Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo

• 9 months later...

Hi :jumping:

I really like this thread. I only have a few roman coins, but nothing like what you have in your collections. Isn't it fascinating to be able to hold something thats nearly 2000 years old? It really gets my imagination going. Excellent spear and arrow head you have there, Paul.

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

Hi :jumping:

I really like this thread. I only have a few roman coins, but nothing like what you have in your collections. Isn't it fascinating to be able to hold something thats nearly 2000 years old? It really gets my imagination going. Excellent spear and arrow head you have there, Paul.

Snoopy

Hello!

I agree with you. :jumping:

Regards

Nesredep

• 11 months later...

Here are some items that are not German or LW related. The first is an old iron spear head. I was informed that it was Roman. Can someone give me a time era?

I collect artifacts too this is a Saxon buckle fit for a king my favorite in my collection, Nice piece I have a few myself like this.

• 3 years later...