News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Best?

I know there are some here who collect various U.S. military categories, so my question to everyone is:

"If you could have any piece of United States militaria, in any condition, from any branch or period, what would it be and in what condition?"

For me, I'd have to say it would be a toss-up between a named 82nd Pathfinder uniform (complete with M2 helmet, fiber para liner, weapon, and web gear), and a C.S.A./U.S.A. setup from one of my 12 ancestors who fought in the War Between the States.

Let's hear it!

Capstone

Edited by The Capstone

Guest paracollector

A named, and documentable Uniform, complete with full rig, from either the 1st or 3rd Ranger Bns.

Guest Rick Research

We all tend to think of souvenirs as "other people's 'stuff,' " but I would agree that as far as AMERICAN items go, I would wish to have something from one of my own ancestors--

my double 10th great grandfather Nathaniel Merriman (born Tenterden, Kent 1614, died Wallingford, CT 1694)--

a private in the Pequot War of 1636-37, veteran of long decades of now utterly forgotten border "incidents" with the Dutch across what is now the New York state line, and Captain of Wallingford Dragoons past retirement (60) age, because Connecticut could muster so few experienced soldiers--

his sword or powder horn would be my most valued treasure, sigh.

He took part in the equally now forgotten, biggest, and almost FINAL battle of English New England, the "Great Swamp Fight" at what is now North Kingston, Rhode Island on December 19, 1675.

Reversing the usual "cowboys and Indians" stereotype, English forces from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut infiltrated a frozen swamp to escalade a Narragansett Indian stockaded, bastioned FORT and in hellacious fighting managed to lose 1 in 8 adult male European New England settlers, a huge proportion of those in "friendly fire" incidents. Another 10X great grandfather died there, as did Nathaniel's son Nathaniel-- or in the ignominious rout (I wonder how many of the English "dead" were wounded left to freeze to death overnight???) that came with the fall of darkness as the slaughter-stunned English attackers fled in panic, fearing ambush in the dark. If the Narragansetts (who were minding their own business, seeking only to ride out the storm in their hideaway, and had nothing to do with Metacomet's "revolt" known as "King Philip's War") had turned to lash back, rather than save their escaping women and children

English settlement north of Virginia would have FAILED. Boston, thronged with the refugees of massacred, burned out interior towns was ready to GO "HOME." There would have been no other European settlement south of French Canada.

And where oh where would the U.S. of A. have come out after THAT blood soaked fiery hell day in an icy swamp?

Fascinating story, Rick.

Do you conduct family tree research? It seems you know quite a bit about your ancestors' history, and I applaud you for that.

Unfortunately, the records of many C.S.A enlisted men are lost or never existed. I too agree that anything from an ancestor would be a possession to be prized: especially if one knew the story behind the item. Regrettably, the items that came home with my family members so long ago has found residence with other members of the family. They do not have much interest in history unfortunately, so maybe the items will find a good home one day, even if that is not with me.

Capstone

Guest Rick Research

I am blessed with being part of a family that never went 100 miles in the last 370 years. RECORDS are the key.

CSA grave records are just now STARTING to be put together to go online.

Thinking of that, here I am in Red Sox Land and yet... and yet...

The original Mrs King of THE King Ranch empire in Texas... one of my kin.

Quintessential "Southern" author Thomas Lanier "Tennessee" Williams (1911-1983), ol' "Streetcar Named Desire," "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" himself was a shared ohmy.gif Yankee origins cousin-- twice.

The once famous-- "war poetess of the Confederacy" Mary (Mollie) Evelyn Moore Davis-- well known to my home town's genealogist when they were both alive in 1892, she born in Cherokee/Talledega, AL 1844 (NOT her later "cheat age" 1852 mindlessly copied in encyclopedias and "Women Writers" tomes rolleyes.gifspeechless.gif) died New Orleans 1909-- whose fiery lines in the Tyler, Texas newspaper got her published across the South... yup. Cousin of mine, her grandma buried not 5 minutes from my house. Mollie went on to marry the editor of the New Orleans "Daily Picayune" and set up literary parlor for late Victorian Southern authors and my favorite ghost story writer, Lafcardio Hearn.

Two brothers from up the hill from me went west in the 1850s-- one to Michigan infantry, the other to Texas cavalry, CSA (his Yankee accent must have made him a high risk on night patrols!!!)

And our first West Point graduate, Class of 1853, Lucius Loomis Rich, was mortally wounded as Colonel of the 1st Missouri Infantry, CSA, at Shiloh, April 6, 1862. Took until August 9 to die of his wounds, at Okolona, Mississippi. His wife (the Southern Belle he WENT "Confederate" for) came north to sulk with her Yankee in laws at Fort Leavenworth-- their only son died as a young teen abandoned by his mamma. And Colonel Rich? Buried, of all places, August 12, 1862 in Magnolia Cemetery (Lot 17, Square 5) Mobile, Alabama.

I hope the Daughters of Confederate Veterans look after his grave, because none of his/my blood has ever been there. No descendants, all alone since 1862! sad.gif

Gone, but NOT forgotten.

So my ancestors may never have left Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, but like most American families, their descendants are EVERYWHERE. Even records are no longer the dead end they once were, especially down south:

We're in the early stages of a DNA project that has already confirmed "Yankee" lines, PLACED a mysterious "lost tribe" and... actually seems to be including the main Southern (Virginia) line with our as yet un-traced English common ancestors. The Virginia line seems where many paperless strays in the Carolinas and further southwest came from

so we ARE all One Big Happy Family

once you start rooting! I cannot encourage enough "same name" family groups down South to start DNA surveys-- once you know where to look, everything falls into place! cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Named and numbered carbine from the 7th cavalry,taken at the Little Bighorn in June, 1876...or, one of the Winchesters used by the Sioux that day.

Any CSA Jr. officers uniform from the Army of Northern Va. from 1865.

Or...an original Cinncinatus medal....or an as yet undiscovered photo of Confederate troops in the field-on parade @ 1864-1865, or one of the CSS Virginia firing at the Merrimac.

Anything from the tomb of Alexander the Great when they discover it?? haha..

Actually, I think the best thing I could think of for myself is an M1 lid and a photo of the soldier wearing it during the war... That would make my day... Of course, I'd have to have it handed to me by eith er him or his family haha.. These Ebay stories can only go so far...

J

• 1 year later...

I'll take a SPAD XIII and a named pilot's uniform from the 94th squadron during WWI, particularly Eddie Rickenbacker. Not that any of that will ever happen, of course. :banger: After that, I want a ride in the aurora. LOL ;)

Edited by yank44

Mine is simple... a medic's jump kit from the 82nd Airborne, obtained from the vet who jumped on D-Day!

Paul

With Luftwaffe Collar Tabs cut from the uniform and stuffed in the kit? :rolleyes:

all joking aside - I would (and I am looking for) like to get an 88th ID Sgt tunic with 1 years worht of service stripes and Company D collar devices - Great grandfather

A bullion 10th AF four pocket captains dress uniform with 1 year overseas stripes and the CBI SSI that match the ones of my grandfather - (or the moths who ate the original thing back in the 1960's so I can stomp on them!)

or the Brig General tunic (freshly converted from his original Col uniform) of my great great great uncle CSA Brig Gen John T Hughes...

Chances are better on the first two.....

One of Ike's uniforms. That's about as good as it gets in my book.

A Marshall, Bradley or Patton uniform would be nice if I couldn't have my first choice though. :P

Luckily, I have a personal hero that fought in WW2 and earned the Navy Cross. I never met him but I have met his family. I currently own all of his uniforms. So, of the ones that I could realistically own, I own them already (now if I could just get the medals from the family....nah...) :love:

On a personal note, I would really love to have my great uncle's AAF Colonel's uniforms, but he tossed everything when he retired as a general in the USAF in the 60s. :angry:

If one could only dream.....

Dave

With Luftwaffe Collar Tabs cut from the uniform and stuffed in the kit? :rolleyes:

Well, that goes without saying!! The pockets would have to be full of cut off HG tabs and cuff titles!

LOL

Steve,

I have such a tigerstripe garment I picked up at a GI surplus store about 22 years ago. I think I paid five dollars for it(I have no idea what they are worth now). I used to wear it to school. it is in my old boxes of stuff in Texas! Maybe we could work something out when I go home!(I have not been south in over 10 years).

Regards

Paul