News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trenches: A picture worth a thousand words....

Gents,

One of my passions is collecting German Trench Photos. I look at their facial expressions and contemplate what they must have been thinking. Trying to put their minds in a better place of being home with their friends and family or are they trying to forget the horror and carnage of a War thought to end all Wars....

Cheers,

Joel

Guest Rick Research

The Feldwebel in charge of the regimental laundry takes time out for an overview of the 6th Guard Infantry Regiment's sector at Dombras in the Bois de Caures, 6 May 1916:

I'm not sure if this photo is staged or not, but it is interesting. I suppose the lack of helmets would indicate either a posed photo or a picture taken during a training session where you try to fire while wearing your mask.

Chip

Hi,

Excellent photos. It's interesting to try and get a feel for what these men were going through/thinking at the time they were photographed.

Regards,

Sam

P.S. Those "pork pie" hats were just awful looking. I understand they were not real popular with the troops either. Another benefit of making NCO; get a visor for your mutze :D

Edited by sambolini

• 2 weeks later...

Guy's,

Here is another picture that came in the mailbox. Not exactly in the Trenches. However, I love the barbed wire in the background and as well as, the amount of soldier's who earned their Iron Crosses.....

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

• 2 weeks later...