News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear forumites,

I was going through the WAF forum and I just found a photo of a High Officer with a medal bar sold a couple of years ago on a Thies auction. I really think it's the same bar! I like when I can find stuff like these...

Ciao,

Claudio

Guest Rick Research

UNFORTUNATELY, in typical Thies-fashion :banger::banger::banger: he got the identification completely WRONG.

That is ACTUALLY Frithjof Freiherr von Hammerstein-Gesmold, who received the PLM in the literal last week of the war while commanding Inf Rgt 146 on the collapsed Palestine-Syria front.

That was one of the very few bars I ever surprised George on, since he had never checked and hadn't realized ol' Frithjof was a Blue Max winner.

Who ended up with the medal bar? All I've got is a 30 year old xerox of it and Protestant Field Bishop Schlegel's medal bar, which George must have gotten at the same time.

Who ended up with the medal bar? All I've got is a 30 year old xerox of it and Protestant Field Bishop Schlegel's medal bar, which George must have gotten at the same time.

No idea. I wanted my father to buy it, but it got to expensive for us ... :(

I love ANY bar with Z?hringer and something exotic like Siam, even without a Pour le Merite. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity WHAT did Eschwege actualy receive? I think it would be an intersting comparision to the the actual bar pictured of von Hammerstein-Gesmold. We're they that close? or way off.

Dan

Guest Rick Research

No-- you misunderstand. Thies did NOT "identify" ANY of the groups he sold. What he did was bungle George's identification notes on a scale that would have shamed even Manion.

OTL aD von Eschwege of Dragoner Regiment 19 held KO4, JO, 1897, AB3b, MG3, OV3b, and SA3b before the war. During the war he added an HSH3aX from Coburg (Rolls awaiting publication).

Aside from the 1897 medal and the universal EK2 and XXV, no "match" whatsoever. :banger:

Just for your information I didn't purchase the medal bar. It was only interesting for me to notice that I saw the original bar being worn on a picture from another forum with another officer's name (the correct one given here by Rick L.).

I don't find serious for an auctioneer to put the wrong name on a medal bar... that's it! It would have been better no name at all. What I find also bad is that miniatures or ribbon bars belonging to identified medal bars are not even offered in the auction but splitted and diluted in several different auctions with no reference saying that ribbon bar belongs to that specific medal bar.

Just my 2 cents.

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Guest Rick Research

It will be possible to correctly RE-identify some, but many (like the two with Royal Victorian Orders) are "lost" forever now-- because I simply cannot remember them all after 30 years' times.

I would check the name and awards of any medal bar that is offered for sale at an auction or elsewhere! I would not take anyones word. It is not that I do not trust but they could have made an honest mistake. With medal bar costing so much money you have to do your homework and research. That is why I have a ranklist library of over 50 books.