News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I adopted two American wwII graves

I adopted two American wwII graves on the Dutch Margraten war cemetry. I plan on visiting these graves next week and to lay flowers.

I would like to find more info about these two persons. This is what I know:

John E. B. L. Tompkins

Rank Technician Fifth Class, U.S. Army

Service number # 33597026

Regiment 784th Tank Battalion

Entered the Service from Pennsylvania

County

Place of enlistment Philadelphia

Date of enlistment 30-03-1943

Term of enlistment Enlistment for the duration of the War or other

emergency, plus six months, subject to the

discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Year of Birth 1923

Nativity Virginia

Race and Citizenship Negro citizen

Education Grammar school

Civilian occupation Tractor ? truck driver

Marital status Single, with dependents

Died 03-03-1945

Buried at Plot C Row 3 Grave 21

Netherlands American Cemetery

Margraten, Netherlands

Awards Purple Heart

Carl F. Danajovits

Rank Private First Class, U.S. Army

Service number # 42134462

Regiment 334th Infantry Regiment

Division 84th Infantry Division

Entered the Service from 23 New York

County Bronx

Place of enlistment CP Upton Yaphank

Date of enlistment 16-05-1944

Term of enlistment Enlistment for the duration of the War or other

emergency, plus six months, subject to the

discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Year of Birth 1924

Nativity New York

Race and Citizenship White citizen

Education 2 years of high school

Civilian occupation Automobile Serviceman

Marital status Single, without dependents

Died 26-02-1945

Buried at Plot C Row 15 Grave 23

Netherlands American Cemetery

Margraten, Netherlands

Awards Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster

Tec Tompkins would have been a combat soldier. The 784th was one of a handful of African-American armored units that saw serious action in the latter stages of the war in Europe. With experience as a driver before the war, he would almost certainly have been a prime candidate for tanks.

A book has been published titled "The 784th Tank Battalion in World War II History of an African American Armored Unit in Europe", by Joe Wilson, 2007.

Would the first guy have been a member of the "redball express"? He was a black driver and somewhere I read something about a "redball express" ?

That was my thought as well.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you! For an American who has all of his familiy members both close and extended to have served in WW1, WW2, Vietnam, etc... I cant tell you how much your gesture means. No one asked you to, and no one told you to - yet remembeing those who may have been forgotten over the passage of time - Thanks.

When you can - could you please post some photos

Edited by hunyadi

Thanks Guys. It is just a small thing to do in return for the sacrifices these guys and there families made! Please don't forget that I am not the only one. Almost all of the more then 8000 graves have been adopted by Dutch persons. Just this week 400 new persons adopted a grave!

I just hope that I am able to find more info about these two persons!

That's a nice gesture. I also adopted a grave at Henri-Chapelle cemetery few months ago. It is the grave of a WWII US B17 gunner killed on december 25 1944... It is the less we can do for our american friends !

Guest Rick Research

Again, thank YOU. :beer:

My great uncle Karl is among the millions from the FIRST World War with "no known grave" in France.

My great-uncle Walter is in an American military cemetery in Normandy from the SECOND World War. After the war, his widow was asked if she wanted his body returned or left in France--and she decided that the world's memory was more importnat than her feelings. She died without ever being able to travel to visit his grave, and both his little daughters have also grown old without ever being able to visit their father, either--

so you have no idea how much this is appreciated.

Today I will visit these two graves to lay flowers together with some good friends who in the last two weeks also adopted graves. We will be there with some 7th armoured veterans. I will post pictures tonight!

That's a nice gesture. I also adopted a grave at Henri-Chapelle cemetery few months ago. It is the grave of a WWII US B17 gunner killed on december 25 1944... It is the less we can do for our american friends !

Thats right Bernard, did you do research on this gunner ?

Overview shot

4uy1mae.jpg

The graves

4tqfx8g.jpg

6hclspi.jpg

6fgnxty.jpg

A friend of mine, a Dutch veteran is introduced to the organizer of the ceremony. The Military Attache of the American Embassy. ( very nice fellow who just returned from Afghanistan )

4le017p.jpg

Who can tell me what this person does? He wears a kind of castles as insignia.

54cb49x.jpg

Vice-admiraal ir. Michiel van Maanen (IGK) with a veteran from the 7 armoured divison

4vdiff9.jpg

Mr. Schreuders, former commandant of the Royal Military School and chairman of the Korea Veterans. He wears the bravery awards "The Bronze Cross"

62p4duu.jpg

Military attache from China?

541z2f6.jpg

It was a very nice day. The ceremonie and Fly over was great. I spoke to a lot of Dutch and American veterans. I also spoke with the American Ambassador Mr. Arnell and his wife and a few Dutch officials.

Thats right Bernard, did you do research on this gunner ?

Yes sir ! I even had information directly from the family. His nephew is still alive. He sent me pictures and stories about his uncle by letters. He asked me to meet in the USA but unfortunatly I am not rich enough to go there :banger: