News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Franco-Prussian War Commemorative Medal

Hallo Troy, :beer:

Its the: Kriegsdenkm?nze 1870 / 71 f?r K?mpfer,

mit Randinschrift "AUS EROBERTEM GESCH?TZ" 1871 - 1872.

OR

1871 / 72 Franco-Prussian War Medal for Combatant,

with the side engraving: loose translation "From our Enemy Weapons made".

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Thank you Kev for that, and thanks SPM, I have looked again at the edge of the medal and it is indeed smooth with no writing on it. When you say non-officially awarded period copy, who would have been awarded this, and who did the awarding?

Hello again Troy:

Sorry, sometimes my command of the English language suffers a bit!

I meant to convey that the medal was not an awarded example. This item would have been purchased by the recipient of an awarded medal as an extra piece to wear on his mounted medal group, or to replace a lost original, for example. The piece is a "copy", but it is something that was made during the period in which a recipient of the official medal lived. It therefore has collectable value (although perhaps a little less than that of an officially-awarded medal).

I hope that this clarifies the situation.

Congratulations on owning an interesting piece of history!

Best regards,

"SPM"

Probably older than 100 years, actually.

I'd like to think it was worn with pride. I can never resist bringing up a joke, so here it is (its shamelessly copied from another forum, I can't remember which):

Four Generations of German's are sitting around a table. A young child asks one, "what did you do in WWII, dad?" He just points to his Iron Cross. He then asks "What did you do in WWI, Grandpa?" He just points at his Iron Cross. Finally, he asks, "So what medals did you get in the Franco-Prussian War, Great Grandpa?". He says, "None." After a moment, he finishes "But we won that one!!!"

Now that I have that out of the way, I have to ask, was it common to make medals of captured artillery? I could swear I've heard of it in other conflicts (I'd say Napoloeonic era but I couldn't imagine Boney melting down any cannon). I'm just wondering because the Germans were very effective during the war when it came to artillery, and I was wondering if making the medal from captured guns was some kind of direct sleight (beyond what it normally would have been). I should note, though, the only French victory in the whole war was thanks to a clever French artillery officer sneaking up on a bunch of waiting Bavarians and raining hell upon them from the heights.

~TS

Guest Rick Research

We find many many Franco Prussian medals that are in mounted medal groups without the captured cannon rim. I suspect that the solder used on the ring (government low bidder? :rolleyes: ) was at fault and many of them simply fell apart in the wearers' own lifetimes.

I've never figured out any way to DATE the replacements, aside from what else is mounted on a medal bar. There would have been a diminishing market for such veterans' replacements into the 1930s. Given the old fashioned style of enlisted medal bars with awards swinging on reverse hooks, there would have been a LOT of bashing around for bars worn for decades and decades.

Digressing-- the British were, at least until recently, still making Victoria Crosses out of Russian cannon captured in the Crimean War!

The Bible speaks of beating swords into plughshares, but making an enemy's weapons into medals also serves as effective disarmament! :cheeky:

We find many many Franco Prussian medals that are in mounted medal groups without the captured cannon rim. I suspect that the solder used on the ring (government low bidder? :rolleyes: ) was at fault and many of them simply fell apart in the wearers' own lifetimes.

I've never figured out any way to DATE the replacements, aside from what else is mounted on a medal bar. There would have been a diminishing market for such veterans' replacements into the 1930s. Given the old fashioned style of enlisted medal bars with awards swinging on reverse hooks, there would have been a LOT of bashing around for bars worn for decades and decades.

Digressing-- the British were, at least until recently, still making Victoria Crosses out of Russian cannon captured in the Crimean War!

The Bible speaks of beating swords into plughshares, but making an enemy's weapons into medals also serves as effective disarmament! :cheeky:

When exactly did the British stop doing that with the VC? I'd like to imagine that it must have bugged the hell out of the Russians whenever it was brought up, especially when the two nations ended up as allies.... :rolleyes:

~TS

Hi,

My two are here. Left one with the text on the rim. Right one without.

02055095a5136f_l.jpg

and here is noncombatand one without text. My question: is there also noncombatants medals with this text or all "AUS EROBERTEM GESCHUETZ" one awarded just 12th and 14th June 1871 parade?

019934698449f0_l.jpg

and here is noncombatand one without text. My question: is there also noncombatants medals with this text or all "AUS EROBERTEM GESCHUETZ" one awarded just 12th and 14th June 1871 parade?

No, this text reffers to Bronce from the captured guns, and as the steel medals are made from steel :P there isn't. But your's is though an awarded one. These are always made from steel, so they are magnetic. Many of the period copys are from silvered brass. The rings aren't magnetic, but have the typical look ... compare to the Bronce ones and you'll see what I cannot manage to express in English at the moment ... :banger:

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have that out of the way, I have to ask, was it common to make medals of captured artillery? ~TS

Victories were determined by the number of cannons and flags captured so making a medal to commemorate your victory out of a captured cannon was just another "in your face" to your foe. Look at the Victory Column in Berlin. It is lined with cannon captured from the French. After WW2 the French wanted to tear it down but the Americans and Brits wouldn't let them.

Edited by dond

After WW2 the French wanted to tear it down but the Americans and Brits wouldn't let them.

Correct. So the French took the four panels which are mounted around the base of the column which depict victories in the wars of 1864, 1866 and 1870. The whole matter was really quite distasteful and ultimately the French were more or less shamed into returning them in 1987.