News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oberst/Oberf?hrer Friedrich von Raben's Ribbon Bar

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I don't remember ever seeing this one before.

Now Charles, I know you always have your hopes up, but I don't want you to be crushed by the tragic disappointment here:

It's not from Baden.

It's from W?rttemberg.

Luckily for us, Daniel has done the dementedly time consuming cross-checking that has never been done before.

1) Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class 1914

2) WM3 19.7.15 as Hauptmann in Wtbg RIR 121

3) WF3aX 31.8.18 as Hauptmann in Wtbg IR 180

4) WD1 circa 1917

5) HOH3X in Prussian Milit?r Wochenblatt 4.12.17 and in Wtbg Personal Nachrichten 31.12.17

6) PK4 (before the war)

He also got the pinback JO gazetted 22.9.18 as Hauptmann in Wtbg IR 180

Entered W?rttemberg army as a Kadett 21.3.99

Leutnant 18.8.01 P4p in Wtbg Inf Rgt 120

Oberleutnant 18.8.10 Y5y

Hauptmann 8.10.14 Y6y

char. Major aD ca 1920

This is certainly a ribbon bar worn during 1918.

Born in Gm?nd 17 August 1879, died 1937 (Daniel has the info so you will have to wait for more there)

Oh. :catjava:

Didn't I mention his name? :rolleyes:

Well, I hope you won't cry yourself to sleep tonight...

SA Obergruppenf?hrer Friedrich von Raben.

No, I have not been possessed by Evil Ricky. It's just been a very very long time for Charles to get one named, and it deserved a little "presentation." :cheeky:

:cheers:

Oh Rick,

Your right, I wrote Baden because I've been searching for a certain ribbon bar combo. I knew this was a W?rttemberg bar because of the multiple W?rttemberg ribbons but my brain refuses to cooperate. It's a nice bar but really too worn for most people to collect.

Guest Rick Research

Oh, I think guys who turned into Brown Shirt Lieutenant Generals would be an exception. He would have been wearing the same combination on the Night Of The Long Knives in 1934. :rolleyes:

Thanks Rick,

Was SA Obergruppenf?hrer Friedrich von Raben present at Night Of The Long Knives? I'm going to do some searching to see what info comes up on the net for this man.

An SA General's ribbon bar! I think it's the first time I see one. :jumping::cheers:

Really strange that I can't find ANY information on v. Raben. I suppose he is the brother of Ernst v. Raben, colonial officer in Kamerun?

congraulations to Your nice bar!

Actually he was not OGruF, he was Oberf?hrer, so a colonel plus.

There was a very impressive article about the v.Rabens in the German Collecors magazine.

I hope the Author will forgive me that I post a Portrait out of it here:

Best regards

Daniel

Well done Daniel. I remember this article in O&E. In the picture 16 the ribbon bar of von Raben is the same than this one. so he wore 3 differents ribbon bars. I prefer not posting the photo without permission of the autor. If you know him can you post it for Charles please !

Christophe

Well done Daniel. I remember this article in O&E. In the picture 16 the ribbon bar of von Raben is the same than this one. so he wore 3 differents ribbon bars. I prefer not posting the photo without permission of the autor. If you know him can you post it for Charles please !

Christophe

It would be very nice to have the article to read. What are the chances of getting a copy?

Christophe, it is a nice bar isn't it?

Please forgive my ignorance, but why is the HOH3X in 5th place?

Some W?rttemberger liked to wear their homestate's awards in first places, outranking anything but the IC2. I've got a quite similar bar on a photo, with additional Braunschweigers and again, the HOH behind W?rttemberg's long service cross:

Guest Rick Research

Oops. Had a 'senior moment" up there. The PRUSSIAN version was called the Milit?r Wochenblatt, so I've fixed that. :rolleyes: Bavaria and W?rttemberg both called their equivalents of the London Gazette the "Personal Nachrichten," listing promotions and awards for decades. Unfortunately, while they kept up with promotions during the war, awards were on a "space available" nature, so many never got printed.

• 2 months later...

Well guys,

I have a copy of the article on Friedrich von Raben and his militay family. I need to find a way to translate it but it's a scan. Is there any way to find the article online?

Moderator, can we rename this thread Friedrich von Raben or something? :speechless:

Baden Bar doesn't seem appropriate :blush:

Editing a post in Oberst/Oberf?hrer Friedrich von Raben's Ribbon Bar

Oh thanks :jumping:

You r right... it spoils the surprise!! :cheeky:

Edited by ccj