News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St.Anne

Yankee

Hello Gentlemen

Here is an interesting example of St.Anne

It has been suggested that it could have belonged to an officer of the order itself however I can't find anything written on this design. Any clues???

Sincerely

Brian

Looks like a Jeton rather than an official St Anne order.

I've seen items like this but I think concidered unofficial or post 1917.

Your shown example is different because of the Imperial crown on top.

In Imperial russian the crown could only be added to official Czar approved jetons.

George

Badge of Honour of Order st. Anne for foreighners . 1911 y.

Hi Igor

Thanks for that :cheers: , this never occured to me.

Any idea in what numbers they were issued or just as scarce as a Saint Anne for Non-Christians. Were they issued in both gold & siver-gilt?

Sincerely

Brian

• 1 month later...

very interesting!

So this decoration was only given in a number of 77 awards to british soldiers?

Or are there any other awardings as well?

To the manufacturing - on the last navy bar it seems as if the arms of the st-anne-decoration are not enameld, as they look like painted. Is this only because of the picture or where there different manufacturers?

Christian

very interesting!

So this decoration was only given in a number of 77 awards to british soldiers?

Or are there any other awardings as well?

To the manufacturing - on the last navy bar it seems as if the arms of the st-anne-decoration are not enameld, as they look like painted. Is this only because of the picture or where there different manufacturers?

Christian

Hi Christian

As I understand to the British Navy, perhaps a few found there way to the British Army. The arms are enamel and of the same high quality as the other pre 1917 grades of the order. Unfortunately very little info is out there on this scarce decoration.

Sincerely

Brian

Interesting that ribbon is the same used on the Order of Lenin many years later. Any relationhip at all or just co-incidence? I am thinking in line with the Order of Glory (Soviet) and the St George cross (imperial) both being bravery type awards?

Jim :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I believe a number of these badges were also awarded to French NCOs & rankers. This particular one looks absolutly gorgeous and I would agree it might well be pre-1914. Probably extremely scarce.

I have one such badge to be mounted on the upper part of a sword's sheath. But I have doubts about the fact that it was restricted to foreign recipients. Would any one care to comment ?

Congratulations for this very nice medal

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Order of st. Anne 4th class "for Bravery" on the sword !!!

Great Item !

Can you make for me big pictures ?

Thank you !

Hello Igor

Thank you for your kind comment. Am I right to assume that it was given to Russian troups ? Not necessarily foreign ?

I don't quite understand what you mean by larger pictures. This is the largest this forum is prepared to accept.

I will be very interested to have your answers on the first question and suggestion for the second.

Veteran

• 3 years later...

Posted a new one to the "Prussian" thread with the older type: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/26972-prussian-medals-bar-with-russian-st-anne-medal/

A huge medal bar to Royal Saxon NCO (Vizefeldwebel Ernst Bartsch) with 1911/1917 type of St. Anne medal could be seen in Altenburg castle, Thüringen/Germany in a recent exhibition on royal Saxon awards. It's also in the exhibition catalog, but I'm not sure about copyright in this case.

• 2 months later...

St. Anne weapons were the 4th or lowest class of the Order, at least when awarded to military personnel for bravery (the order was

a specific part of the imperial Russian system of recognizing civil merit and long service; after receiving a first St. Stanislaus cross 3rd Class for faithful service, a civil servant would look forward to receiving a St. Anne 3rd Class cross as his next reward). The progression of awards was sufficiently carved in stone and well enough known that a Russian citizen could look at a government employee's chest and pretty accurately estimate how long he'd been in service...

The badge was affixed to the weapon's handle and the Russian words "For Bravery" were engraved there, too, sometimes on the crossguard, sometimes elsewhere. Probably the most common way to attach the enameled St. Anne insignia was to fasten it onto a metal flap that was then applied just under the crossguard, although other places were also used - I once owned a St. Anne's dagger that had the badge attached in the middle of the ivory grip.

Considering the premium attached to a sword or dagger for being a St. Anne weapon, I have been told that manufacturing the small insignia has become somewhat frequent in modern Russia. I was at the point of buying an unattached example in gold at the SOS two or three years ago when a Russian friend took me aside and told me that the badges on offer were contemporary copies. Apparently there are even better made insignia available now for disreputable folk to start the process of turning an otherwise plain sword into a St. George sword for bravery!

Regards

If I remember correctly a similar example appeared in one of the Graf Klenau auctions in the 1970'ies where it was described as a Chancellors badge, a description that was copied by other auction houses and thus many would still believe this is the case. Igor is correct. This also exists as a minature and would look like this ..

Interesting enough all miniatures I have seen is made of Silver where the actual badge is Gold except for one gilted badge which looked as it had been recently gilted. The normal 4th class would look like this in miniature ...

The Sword decoration could also be worn as a miniature and would look like this nice Gold example (note the "For Bravery" legend below the badge) ...

... unless the actual sword or dagger award was worn as a miniature in which case it could look like this ...

Cheers

• 2 months later...

A little add on Gents ;)

Photos of mint boxed specimen of this ultra rare 4th class of St. Anne for foreigners ;)

Eduard workshop.

Gold.

Marked with “woman head 56” (after 1908) and ВД mark.