News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Order of 9 September 1944

Guest Rick Research

• Replies 180
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Petr, I checked all of mine as well as all my example/archive photos. Never seen in silver. Identical in gilt, plain disc in gilt/brass only. Having said this, the disc looks correct to me in everyway, just a different color! Stamps/markings etc. all look correct.

More clues! I am posting this pix and hopefully will have these pieces for deeper examination.... perhaps we have some more clues to the presence of this odd mark on the reverse of this one:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop...st&p=265961

There seems to be more transitional elements than we originally thought....

Type 1a, Type 1b (screwbacks/neck orders)

Type 2a, ribboned with screwback

**Type 2b(?) Riveted (??)

Type 2c, dimple back

Type 3, smooth back

Type 4, smaller suspension

(Going from memory here..., sorry for any ommissions)

Note the presence of what appears to be rivets in the center where the post/nut used to be!!!

Pieces have arrived and they are definately riveted centers. I assume manufactured after the screw/nut pieces of type 2a. Rivets are hollow and same color as base/planchette. Scans & comparison shortly...

Hi Petr, I checked all of mine as well as all my example/archive photos. Never seen in silver. Identical in gilt, plain disc in gilt/brass only. Having said this, the disc looks correct to me in everyway, just a different color! Stamps/markings etc. all look correct.

The same screwbacks are characteristic for early emisions-oops,mistake :speechless: - issues.

Edited by Anatoly13

Excellent! Thank you Anatoly, so the disc is good and an early one. I have none of the first types with initials (yet!). How do you feel about the theory that these were prototypes and not issued? Do you know of one that is documented?

Approximate dates this eariest type was awarded?

Thanks! Rick

Everything that I know about this issue is that nobody knows they were awarded or not. :banger: And the document cannot serve as the proof even if it will be on sale with such order because this orders are without numbers. ;) so it is possible to put any document to any award of this early time period.

Scan of the reverse of the latest discovered variation. To me, it looks like a disc with a small, round-headed rivet through the center to assemble the components. My Twin thinks the center is a tiny screw post with the disc spun on to assemble. I'm not really ready to attempt to disaassemble these!

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Just after Christmas I was given an opportunity to purchase this odd example of a first class award. Hollow, substantial weight difference from an awarded Type 1, per him, only one confirmed award and only a dozen known examples. Note the lack of enamel on the reverse center disc. I debated for a bit, but eventually passed as a little too oddball/exotic for me (but mostly because he had a pretty interesting group for me as well!)

I am curious if anyone has ever seen one of these before? If I can confirm the details, I will adjust our Typology thread accordingly.

Hello Petr, Happy New Year.

What about the lack of gilding on the piece?

Also, the detail on the swords looks different to me. (Look at hilts)

The other thing I see is a two-part, hollow order; not the solid piece as normally issued?

• 2 weeks later...