News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arab exotica

Ed_Haynes

Indeed a very informative thread, thank you :beer:

Some of the Orders and Medals are very well designed and the quality of some is excellent. I never cared much about Arab Awards, but i will keep my eyes open in the future.

Ed, you show a miniature of one of the Orders, do you know, how these were worn? Similar to english mini-groups with ribbon?

best,

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Yes, Gerd,

Most Arab miniature groups were worn English-style (Egypt, Iraq, the Gulf, etc>), while a few others were worn French-style (Tunisia, Algeria, Syria, etc.). Depends, of course, on who the imperial overlord was. While Libyan miniatures are seen (will put a few up), it is unclear whether they were worn Italian or British style.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. I have collected German Imperial Minis and of course like to see, how Minis were worn in other countries. I didn?t even know, it was also done in Arabian Countries. Btw, i have seen the beautiful Mini-group, which you posted on the other thread "Awards of the Indian "Princes"". The quality is just great, comparable to german imperial manufacture, maybe even a tad better. Are they 16mm like their german counterparts?

Please go ahead and post your Mini-groups too. I would love to see them.

best,

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

• 10 months later...

To "bump" this, to respond to a query raised in another thread, and to get it back on track:

An Iraqi medal group. I think you guys can identify the medals from the specimens already shown here? :P

Wow Ed,

That is a great bar!!! :love: It is the first Iraqi Bar I have seen. Do you have any background information on the original owner?

Regards

Paul

• 3 months later...

The metal part of the ribbon looks like:

al-Jamhūrīyah al-`Arabīyah al-Yamanīyah (At least my wife thinks it looks like that... :rolleyes: )

The medal text is too blurry for chances. Possibly Medal for ...(Victory???) But nothing for sure. A better pic would help.

Not much but something. :unsure:

/Kim

Hi Chris,

I do not have the royal version of the Wisam Nigam al-'Askariia / Military Star, but:

The Military Star of Fuad I was originally intended for award to Egyptian and foreign officers for mention in dispatches or distinguished service in the field or before the enemy, with courage and a spirit of self-sacrifice. In broad terms, the Military Star can be seen as having been patterned after the British Distinguished Service Order. It was, of course, redesigned with the fall of the monarchy. With the redesign and restructuring which came with the 1952 revolution, the award came to be awarded to any officer for exceptional service with courage and a spirit of self-sacrifice. Whenever possible, the award is to be personally presented by the president of the republic. The star can be awarded posthumously or to foreigners. Established: By King Ahmad Fuad I in Royal Order of 6 December 1919, revised and redesigned on 9 July 1953 and amended by Law No. 12 of 1972. Obverse: A five-pointed gilt star, enameled white. The center is enameled blue with crossed swords in gilt, surrounded by a red circlet with a gilt wreath. Above all a gilt crown. Suspended from a straight bar suspender. After 1953, the 45-mm star has been of bronze with blue-enameled points, with the center swords replaced with the Egyptian eagle (after 1971, hawk), and the suspension crown removed. Each point has two crossed swords. The suspension is a ornate enameled bar in the form of a pair of "Pharonic" falcon's wings, with a disk in the center bearing a pair of crossed swords. Reverse: Until 1953, a gold Arabic inscription on purple enamel. Afer 1953, Arabic name on white enamel. Ribbon: 37 mm, moir?, five equal 6 mm stripes of blue, yellow, black, yellow, blue, with thin (1 mm) yellow edges.

Only this b/w drawing, but I think better than nothing. The ribbon is the same as in the republican version:

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhhh. Interesting. I am thinking Sudan, but let me look.

Ed,

This is Yemeni - the Decoration of Seventy (Nowt Sabaeen) - post unification and replaces, probably, the Order of Seventy, a YAR instituted Order. Named after the siege of Sana'a during the post 1962 Revolution civil war.

Regards,

Owain

Ed,

This is Yemeni - the Decoration of Seventy (Nowt Sabaeen) - post unification and replaces, probably, the Order of Seventy, a YAR instituted Order. Named after the siege of Sana'a during the post 1962 Revolution civil war.

Regards,

Owain

Correction - the suspension bar has the Yemen Arab Repiblic and thus is pre-unification but otherwisde it still repalces the Order of the same name.

Owain

A Cute Arab Box - part 2

The coat of arms.

Ed,

The box inscription reads Order of War Wounded - a post unification award - a neck badge and even large larger than the Order of Duty illustrated.

Owain

EGYPT -- Medalyet Falasteen / Palestine Medal

Awarded to Egyptian armed forces personnel who served in the 1948-49 Arab-Israeli War. In 1953, with the revolution, the design of the medal was altered, with the earlier reverse being worn as the obverse of the medal. Established: 1948?, revised ???? Obverse: 36 x 45 mm, bronze, seven-sided, with unequal sides, seeming "off balance" to the left (until 1953). first variety: King Faruq facing left [not, as it has sometimes been described, Nasser!], between the Egyptian parliament building (to the right) and the Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem (to the left); above "Medalyet / Falasteen", or "Palestine / Medal". second variety: three soldiers, with civilians gathered around them, dated "1948-1347" or "1948-1347" (the reverse of the pre-1953 variety). Reverse: first variety: three soldiers, with civilians gathered around them, dated "1948-1347" or "1948-1347" (the obverse of the post-1953 variety). second variety: blank. Ribbon: 35 mm, equal stripes (5 mm each) of green, red, yellow, red, green. A brass lotus blossom has been observed worn on ribbon bars representing this medal, though it is unknown what this represents.

-- first variety with the king on the obverse

-- second variety with the old reverse moved to the obverse

Ed,

There is also clasp awared to this medal, slide on to the ribbon, for those who returned to the front for a second time.

Owain

• 1 month later...

A Cute Arab Box - part 4

Republic of Yemen

Order of Duty

A military award, established by Resolution No. 1 of 2 January 1973.

(And, yes, just a bit "over the top".)

Hey Ed.....I just got an "Over the Top" as well yesterday. I had no idea what it was but it was just so big and loud I bought it. Syria 50th Anniversary of the Syrian Army in the case. This thing is very heavy as is the box (surprisingly solid). Just big and loud....he has another Friendship Medal in a nice Syrian case....but not big and loud enough.

• 1 month later...

What a fantastic display of Arabic Orders and Medals! Glad to know that Ed. is rebuilding his site. It was a great loss to many when it was vandalised...I personally used it quite extensivly, it was a great source of knowledge which was not readily available elsewhere. Thanks to Ed and the others for the excellence of the pictures and information available.

regards,

Jim Morrison

• 3 years later...

Hi all:

I hope you don't mind, Ed, but I'd like to post my two examples of exotica...

These are both Afghan decorations from the pre Republic period and have been rather elusive in information. The one on the left is the fourth class of what has been variously described as the Order of the Afghan Throne or the Order of the Star. I'm not sure which is correct, though I am leaning towards Order of the Star. The one on the right is a complete mystery. It's the second class of some sort of order, but I have never seen another one like it nor do I have any clue as to what it was called. I can say that the badge is silver (marked 925 on the reverse), in three pieces and the seal is gold. One thing that's interesting is that I've seen that wreath design on a grand cross set of the Order of the Star (here's one on a commecial site: http://www.najafcoin.../Images/af4.jpg). Other than that, it's a mystery.

Hello Eric,what you have at right is the Nishan-e-Minipal 2nd Class, the Order of the Homeland of the Kingdom of Afghanistan,instituted in 1960.It's very hard to get such piece.Even Gustav Tammam doesn't had one.

I'am lucky to have one,despite if mine is ribboned with the usually found black/red/green ribbon.

Your piece is with the correct ribbon.

On the later post I will include the piece that is in my collection.

Emmanuel