News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian GTO "Ready For Work & Defense" Badge

I always thought GTO Badges were sports badges, but the seller called it "Ready For Work & Defense" Badge. Is this a translation issue? I believe this is the First Class type badge. I have seen these with Roman Numerals II III for different grades. Nice with the original award booklet.

Nice Badge Stogieman :cheers:

Here is the Class II of the same Badge

Very nice badge looking just like the first class on back, with screw and maker marked washer

sorry for the bad pic, I have to get a new camera that take better pics on close distances :banger:

Christer

And just to confuse things a little bit , :cheeky:

Here is two more GTO Badges !

Both seems to be First Class but the one in the middle is only about 50% in size of the normal one?

I also have a Booklet for the small one, it is numbered on the back with 347

The one on the right is on needle! And it sure looks like its orginal made, in size its beteen the other two....

Seems like we have a lot to learn about theese badges

Christer

Edited by christerd

And here is the booklet for the smaller one , I realized after posting it that it says BGTO ? on that one so it must be another type of Badge

but very similar to the others ?

Cant find it in Riemers Book :jumping::banger:

I have a couple of more badges to show you

I?ll be back !

Christer

Edited by christerd

I always thought GTO Badges were sports badges, but the seller called it "Ready For Work & Defense" Badge. Is this a translation issue?

GTO was a general public physical education program and its name translates into "Ready for Labour and Defence". The name gives away its ambitions: to have the general population in a good physical state, both for work and for defense. It originated in the Soviet Union, but exported after WWII to the communist countries. See on Wikipedia some information on the Russian GTO.

I sold my Soviet BGTO/GTO collection last year, all except the few that I couldn't find at the time, so I no longer have any early examples to share. However, not only were the early examples numbered, many were silver. It is an interesting theme to collect and now -- of course -- I wish I hadn't sold them.

Chuck

I have no further information about those badges, but I think they are different.

I mean, GTO is Ready for.... and is an award badge, the people earn it somehow.

And I think the BGTO is a propagand badge, that could be worn by anyone, not earned - Budi gotov za trud i otbrana - BE ready for..........

• 2 weeks later...