News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Those of you interested in this thread may not recognise the attached photo (Beaver, Vol. 3, 'Uniforms of the Waffen-SS', p. 964) as it is in a Third reich-interest book.This particular officer is of the SD in Paris. I am a TR collector but am also interested in the awards that often seen on the tunics of vets from the Great war or the Freikorps period.

I was lucky enough to pick up an example of this award, and the other photo shows it on my Forestry tunic.

Most of the black on the leaves has worn off, but is still on the reverse.

What is the significance of the number '25'?

Hello !

The "25" is the number of the division mobilized by the great duchy in 1914 : 25th Inf. Div, who was part of the XVIIIth Army Corps.

:cheers:

From von Hessenthal & Schreiber:

Guest Rick Research

Yup-- 25th jubilee. It WAS a very odd choice... the year of foundation, 1917, would have been far more appropriate. :speechless:

BTW-- anyone with this would have had a Hessian General Decoration "for Bravery" medal-- so to display accurately you need a Hessian ribbon bar.

Guest Rick Research

I've never seen any authoritative award numbers. There are many many variations-- suggesting perhaps either they were made piece-work by "cottage industry" or the very weak pinned through construction led to so much breakage that there was a steady market for replacements.

Rare, but I don't know numbers. They do turn up.

• 2 weeks later...