News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for International Brigades in Spain 1936-39

I think this medal has been discussed earlier in the forum so I just show some pics

Instituted May 1974 and awarded to people who participated in the War in Spain 1936-39 in the International Brigades

I have been told that a total of 473 medals was awarded which makes this a really rare medal.

Here is it with the orginal box

Christer

Edited by christerd

• 3 weeks later...

Wow ! That was really bad news , if they are starting faking boxes worth almost nothing what will they do next :banger::banger: Maybe this is the beginning of the end of Bulgarian awards collecting?

As interest raises everything will be like Soviet and Tr items , all crap and fakes :(

How does a real box look like?

And even more scary is the fact that even respected dealers now sell fakes :speechless1:

As usual you cant trust no one...

Thanks William

Christer

Guys,

Talking about fakes, I was told by a reliable source that these (and a few other scarce ones) are being faked. Has anybody already encountered such fakes, or knows anything about their characteristics?

Marc

Medal is uncommon because few were awarded, but there were many manufactured and never handed out to anyone. There are very limited numbers of medals with documents, they are very rare indeed.

The reason you see so many of these medals around - couple years ago Bulgarian Mint sold non-awarded orders and medals to dealers / collectors.

Spanish Brigades medal was one of them, including many other rare awards.

Then these fake boxes began to appear to accomodate non-awarded medals.

William

Edited by new world

:jumping:

Very Nice Bolgarin

I wonder how rare theese are ? 473 awarded I have heard, but in the last two year I have been offered or Seen 4

documented sets for sale. I wonder of there is fake documents out there :rolleyes:

Christer

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

I was excited to see this in the upcoming Ziege sale. But in studying the additional posted images I requested; I have a few concerns. I would appreciate opinions and thoughts before I take the plunge and bid.

To me, the document looks original, I like the entry for name, stamps, etc. But I do not like that the name is one ink and the medal itself is in a different ink and possibly penmanship?

The ribbon is very loose and not as tight as any official piece I have handled yet.

These two things have me hesitating. Your thoughts? Thanks!

I don`t know, but perhaps he has good connections to the East.

But in the last years he has had some of this pairs in his auctions.

For that they are so rare, he offers them pretty often :whistle:

But hey - I am no expert in Bulgarian ODM !

greetings

eitze