News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Flammenwerfer! Flames, skulls and stuff

Nice selection, Paul.

I particularly like the document/photo covers. Great artwork there.

Not a lot on the skull front at my end recently ..................... although I did pick up this dinky little 1:6 scale FK helmet last week. :cheeky:

Shown with others for comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Robin

A brit sub showing its Jolly Roger thought you may like it.

'HMS Talisman. Close up of conning tower and bridge with crew members including Lt Cdr M. Willmott, displaying their Jolly Roger. (Royal Navy Submarine Museum)'

Cheers

Latest pick-up ............... a TK from 1613 !

The flash makes it look blue, but it's actually dark brown ................... copper in excavated condition.

Metal detector find.

Paper thin and about the size of a 1p coin .................. so the stamping/hammering is phenomenal for its size.

Believed to be a trade token from the time when 'official' low denomination coins were in a state of disarray.

A very small one, this patriotic pin is about the size of a €0.02 cent. I could not see what was on it so had to clean it up just to read it, then noticed the hat badge. I have had to use the micrscope thing to get a picture.

It was with the mixed bag of stuff the other day.

Jock:)

Robin

Is there anything out there confirming or denying W1 flamethrower units put the totty on their helmets. Could we put it to bed one way or the other with the W1 thingy coming up if I've missed pics sorry this is a long thread.

I've read the regular troops hated them showing up even more than MGSs squads, have any info in your files etc?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

(Post #121)

... You can see the light-colored blob of the crown badge worn above the cuff by Rohr's man (left), and you can see the Totenkopf sleeve badge, Garde-Litzen, and black shoulder straps worn by the flamethrower pioneer (right) ...

... Sorry my photo isn't better...

I'm afraid,indeed, that the picture does not enable to draw any conclusions. Aren't there just stains or shadows?

Moreover, it would be a big surprise to see Wilhelm II inspecting troops wearing uniform paticularities that would not have allowed. The emperor was very engaged in this matter (see the project below from his very hand) and the military hierarchy always rejected "local" initiatives, for sure especially before being inspected by the emperor himself.

448_Selzer.jpg

Uniformentwurf der Schutztruppenuniform mit eigenhändigen Bemerkungen Kaiser Wilhelms II. Figur Nr. 1 mit dem Säbel von 1849 und Figur Nr. 2 mit dem Klappmesser.

[Joseph Kürschner: Kaiser Wilhelm II. als Soldat und Seemann, Berlin, 1902]

found on the homepage of the Gesellschaft für Heereskunde

Regards

Edited by Gilles

(Post 135) The badge was unofficial, so there are many different styles. They vary in size, too.

This statement is unfortunately not supported by any photographic evidence.

On the contrary, several sources ( Jaeger7's post #133 , Larcade's book with Maurice Sublet's period picture (p.35) as well as the sleeve patch on black velvet (p.36), the patch shown more recently in the book by Laparra & Hesse about the StBtl Rohr ( p. 96 & 113) seem to establish one precise, definite pattern.

Regards

Edited by Gilles

Guys,

Not really clewed up about these, any direction gratefuly received, it was a freeby with the porcelane thing for chickens so I doubt it will be up to much.

The bloke seemed to think it was an OK Brunschwieger badge? Seems to lack a bit of detail?

I am not the worlds best photographer so have tried a few different light/angles.

Cheers

Jock:)

It's a good one.

Unearthed many years ago by builders working on the site of the old LSSAH barracks.

Covered in the German Press at the time.

Just search on 'Berlin Hoard'.

Photo below shows an identical type of skull being worn.

The eyes are very distinctive.

I call it the 'haunted' type. ;)

Nice find.

These are becoming increasingly scarce.

The old book on KR5 shows that this particular type was also worn on that regiment's NCO shoulder boards, whether officially or unofficially. ;)

Also appears in zinc with brass lugs.