News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well, Germany did have some advisors/pilots in Iraq in 1941-42 (I think), but this seems like it's more likely a modern-day imitation of the cuff titles intended as souvenirs for international troops serving in Iraq right now. During Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm, the US Marine Corps locally used a globe-and-anchor on palm tree insignia that was reminiscent of the Afrika Korps insignia. This may be a similar influence from the Wehrmacht.

I.M.H.O. its pure fantasy, another item designed to separate gullible fools from their money.

Abd al Ilah and Nuri as Said both were proponents of close cooperation with Britain. They opposed Rashid Ali's policies and pressed him to resign. In response, Rashid Ali and four generals led a military coup that ousted Nuri as Said and the regent, both of whom escaped to Transjordan.

Shortly after seizing power in 1941, Rashid Ali appointed an ultranationalist civilian cabinet, which gave only conditional consent to British requests in April 1941 for troop landings in Iraq.

The British quickly retaliated by landing forces at Basra, justifying this second occupation of Iraq by citing Rashid Ali's violation of the Anglo-Iraqi Treaty of 1930.

Many Iraqis regarded the move as an attempt to restore British rule. They rallied to the support of the Iraqi army, which received a number of aircraft from the Axis powers. The Germans, however, were preoccupied with campaigns in Crete and with preparations for the invasion of the Soviet Union, and they could spare little assistance to Iraq.

As the British steadily advanced, Rashid Ali and his government fled to Egypt. An armistice was signed on May 30. Abd al Ilah returned as regent, and Rashid Ali and the four generals were tried in absentia and were sentenced to death. The generals returned to Iraq and were subsequently executed, but Rashid Ali remained in exile.

As there is no nazi motif on the item, I still say its a pure fantasy item.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Well, Germany did have some advisors/pilots in Iraq in 1941-42 (I think), but this seems like it's more likely a modern-day imitation of the cuff titles intended as for international troops serving in Iraq right now. During Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm, the US Marine Corps locally used a globe-and-anchor on palm tree insignia that was reminiscent of the Afrika Korps insignia. This may be a similar influence from the Wehrmacht.

Exactly. I dont think that these were made to deceive at all. I feel that they were made for Iraqi War vets from the current conflict as souvenirs. I was in the Marine Corps during the Desert Storm era and remember the Eagle Globe and Anchor emblem on the palm tree, and thinking how cool it was. I heard that they banned it's use at some point!

I don't know... I rather like them. And if Paul's right it might be one of the few things I'd like to get an example of from that conflict depending on the price. Are they available and what do they go for, if you don't mind me asking?

Please PM if more comfortable doing it that way.

Thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 years later...

Gentlemen, here's a fantasy "Afghanistan" cuff title I have, inexpensive addition to an ISAF Bundeswehr collection ! looked kind of neat when I pinned it to a current BW Army service tunic !

I could of bought the "Iraq" version shown for 7 Euros from the same outlet in Germany.............http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-7645-0-23411300-1387664982.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-7645-0-74951200-1387665029.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-7645-0-97715500-1387665835.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-7645-0-04766000-1387665859.jpg

Prost ! Steve.

Edited by SteveL

I am sure that the Iraq title is modern (as is the Afghanistan), because the Germans wrote the name of Iraq as "Irak"; Iraq is rather the English spelling.

Also, the Germans referred to the present Iraq as Persien [Persia in English].