News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two veteranfriends showing my girlfriend there medals

Two veteran friends showed my girlfriend their medals a while back. Just found this picture on my camera and thought I would share this with you..

Left, Ex Colonel and RSM from the KSLI/Trucial Oman Scouts

Right, Ex Major KSLI/Herefords

Enjoy,

Edited by Herr General

Two veteran friends showed my girlfriend their medals a while back. Just found this picture on my camera and thought I would share this with you..

Left, Ex Colonel and RSM from the KSLI/Trucial Oman Scouts

Right, Ex Major KSLI/Herefords

Enjoy,

Couple of cracking groups, I know people who would kill for either of them.

Paul

Couple of cracking groups, I know people who would kill for either of them.

Paul

I'm not seeing a certain medal that should be with the MBE group. Anyone else see what i do?

Cheers

Chris

You mean a jubilee medal? Note the last one- isn't that Oman? I bet he was out of the country in 1977. It screams : "Trumpets Depart" career though: MBE/France star/Def.mdl./39-45/GSM two bars (Palestine/NI)/Africa (Mau Mau) /Cyprus UN/Korea/Korea/LS/Oman! Very, very, very cool. What a life!

Can we see a close up?

:jumping:

That's the one. I don't know how he could get the F & G without the 39-45. I think in theory it is possible but i can't think of how. Anyone?

Cheers

Chris

Do you know how long he was in Europe for? In theory i belive he could qualify for the F&G by entering into the active theatre for one day (or was it 30) where he needed 6 months service in active operations for the 39-45. Perhaps he just didn't stay in Europe long enough to qualify? I can't say i've ever seen a group with a campaign star without the 39-45 though....

Cheers

Chris

Two fantastic groups :rolleyes: But what strike me is .... Both lovingly cleaned and polished as medals should be. Wait till a collector gets their hands on these in years to come and I bet they'll just let them get dull and dirty in the name of preserving them as they were :speechless:

Cheers, Mike

That's the one. I don't know how he could get the F & G without the 39-45. I think in theory it is possible but i can't think of how. Anyone?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes quite possible especially for bomber crews. I know others will say that is not true but I know this is a fact simply because my father and others in the RCAF based in England but flying missions over Germany were NOT awarded the 1939/45 Star.

Years ago there was talk about these veterans trying to get the government of the day to change their decision and award these but since that time they have all pretty well passed away so it never happened.

Regards

Brian

Some info on his carreer;

MBE ( Mil DIV )

Northern Ireland Operations

F&G Star

J NCO 6 CDO 1944-45

Defence medal -

HD (BN) under the age of 18

1939-14 War medal

GSM (Malaya)

SGT 1/KOYLI 1984-50

MID

Distinguished Service as a Acting platoon commander

Korea UK

Sgt 1KSLI 1950

Korea UN

Sgt 1KSLI 1950

AGSM (Kenya)

CSM 1/KSLI 1955-58 (Mau Mau)

Arabian Peninsular Clasp

Air lifted from Kenya for Suez Crises 1956

Arabian Peninsular Clasp

Trucial Oman Scouts RSM and RQMS 1958-61

GSM Northern Ireland

Capt. Majr. and Lt. Col / tours from 1969 - 1980

Un medal (Cypres)

Capt and Lt. Col tours 1972 and 1979

LSGC Regular Army

Awarded when he was a Lt. Col and served 30 years

Tower of Al-Qasmi 2nd class

2002/awarded to a few selected british officers for loyal and distinguished service to the Trucial Oman Scouts in their formation years.

Very interesting. Next time you speak with him you should ask him two questions.

1. Why does he not have the 1939-45 star? ( i suspect he wasn't in Europe for a full 180 days)

2. Is he eligble for the ACSM?

The ACSM is awarded for 1080 days aggregated service in those theatres for which the GSM (e.g. Northern Ireland, Air Ops Iraq), an OSM (e.g. Sierra Leone or Afghanistan) or the Iraq Medal has been issued. An additional 1080 days is required for the award of the Clasp to the ACSM. More than 1 Clasp may be earned.

Here's the set of another friend. A Dutch Spitfire Pilot with 322 squadron. Only three living in Holland at this time...

89q905c.jpg

And a close-up from the MC group

wrct0.jpg

The MC is for leading his platoon in a charge against german possitions in the Schlieffenline. Himself leading with stengun fire and handgranates.

And the Belgium awards are for Night combat/patrol in Antwerp. (Killing germans in close range with stengun and handgranates)

Hmmm why no war medal?

Because he joined 322 squadron 20th of March 1945 and was shot down on April 1st. Two weeks later he was liberated in a Kriegslazeret.

He escaped holland by bike in 1941. Through Belgium, France (spend some time in jail) to spain. With a boot to Aruba. From Aruba to New York, Canada, England. Back to Canada for training, Back to the UK, To Holland and Crashed in 1945...

There is no 1939-1945 Star in the MBE group because he did not have six months service in an operational command, but received the France and Germany Star because it only required participation in an operation on land in France, Germany, etc. (it had no prior time qualification). A group with a France and Germany Star but with no 1939-1945 Star is not an uncommon occurrence. Gunner 1

Some info on his carreer;

MBE ( Mil DIV )

Northern Ireland Operations

F&G Star

J NCO 6 CDO 1944-45

Defence medal -

HD (BN) under the age of 18

1939-14 War medal

GSM (Malaya)

SGT 1/KOYLI 1984-50

MID

Distinguished Service as a Acting platoon commander

Korea UK

Sgt 1KSLI 1950

Korea UN

Sgt 1KSLI 1950

AGSM (Kenya)

CSM 1/KSLI 1955-58 (Mau Mau)

Arabian Peninsular Clasp

Air lifted from Kenya for Suez Crises 1956

Arabian Peninsular Clasp

Trucial Oman Scouts RSM and RQMS 1958-61

GSM Northern Ireland

Capt. Majr. and Lt. Col / tours from 1969 - 1980

Un medal (Cypres)

Capt and Lt. Col tours 1972 and 1979

LSGC Regular Army

Awarded when he was a Lt. Col and served 30 years

Tower of Al-Qasmi 2nd class

2002/awarded to a few selected british officers for loyal and distinguished service to the Trucial Oman Scouts in their formation years.

The last medal is in fact the 4th class or Medal of the Order of the northernmost emirate of the UAE Ras Al Khaima which in 1981, by Emiri Decree No. 15/81 instituted this Order - named after the ruling family of Ras Al Khaima. The Order is awarded for distinguished service to the Government of Ras Al Khaima. and is in four classes and is awarded as follows,

First Class (Breast star and sash with badge) - To Kings, Heads of State, Rulers and their Deputies.

Second Class (Breast star with neck badge) - To Ministers, Ambassadors, members of the Armed Forces and Police above the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.

Third Class (Neck badge) - Senior civil servants, officers of the Armed Forces and Police on the rank of Major and above.

Fourth Class (Medal) - Civil Servant, officers and other members of the Armed Forces and Police of the rank of Captain or below. The medal was awarded to members of the Mobile Forces of Ras Al Khaima. (The Mobile Force merged with the Abu Dhabi Defence Force and the Dubai Defence Force to become the Federal Armed Forces in 1976.) Spink and Son Ltd., in November of 1981, manufactured the following numbers of awards, 10 x 1st Class; 20 x 2nd Class; 40 x 3rd Class & 1000 x 4th Class (Medal).

Owain

• 2 years later...
    • 8 months later...

I agree the single F&G Star in the group is not that uncommon, I've seen quite a few. The condition was that the person had entered operational service during the last six months of the war and therefore being unable to attain the 180 days required for the 1939-45 Star, received only the campaign star for the theatre served in. I've actually seen every campaign star by itself in a group throughout the years, except for the Air Crew Europe Star - which specifically states the 60 day aircrew requirement for the 1939-45 Star had to be acheived first prior to the award of the ACE. I find the single star groups attractive and intriguing as it helps you pinpoint when the person served a bit better. The most common I tend to see are single F&G and Burma, though I've seen more than one single Atlantic as well. Sir Edmund Hillary in fact had a single Pacific Star but now I'm swaying too off topic. An outstanding set of a remarkable soldier.

Jeff

Edited by jeffskea

• 3 weeks later...

I agree the single F&G Star in the group is not that uncommon, I've seen quite a few. The condition was that the person had entered operational service during the last six months of the war and therefore being unable to attain the 180 days required for the 1939-45 Star, received only the campaign star for the theatre served in. I've actually seen every campaign star by itself in a group throughout the years, except for the Air Crew Europe Star - which specifically states the 60 day aircrew requirement for the 1939-45 Star had to be acheived first prior to the award of the ACE. I find the single star groups attractive and intriguing as it helps you pinpoint when the person served a bit better. The most common I tend to see are single F&G and Burma, though I've seen more than one single Atlantic as well. Sir Edmund Hillary in fact had a single Pacific Star but now I'm swaying too off topic. An outstanding set of a remarkable soldier.

Jeff

And I've seen Canadian groups to the 1st and 5th Canadian Divisions which had both the Italy and France and Germany Stars, but no 1939-45 Star.

Michael

Two fantastic groups :rolleyes: But what strike me is .... Both lovingly cleaned and polished as medals should be. Wait till a collector gets their hands on these in years to come and I bet they'll just let them get dull and dirty in the name of preserving them as they were :speechless:

Cheers, Mike

Mike I am one of those collectors. However, I swim upstream most of the time. I clean and polish the medals in my care. :o

The only comment I can make in regards to the racks shown in the photo is; OUTSTANDING GROUPS, the both of them. I can only dream of having such a set in my collection.

Edited by Pylon1357