News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Did Everything Get Collected and Identified?

I have been a regular watcher/contributor of this forum for a long time. It seems to me it has gotten boring of late. It appears everyhthing been collected and identified? What happened to Rick? Did he get sucked into a Massachusettes black hole or something? I miss the random medal bas and the IDs of who they belonged to. It always amazed me.

Rick hope you're well.

Dan in Montana

Both good and evil Rick are not around these days. At first, I thought they had gone to another forum, like when they left the WAF to come here. But I am told that that is not the case. I think we all miss Rick L.'s musings, but nothing lasts forever. :(

Chip

Hello Dan,

I have been in contact with Rick but I'm not at liberty to discuss the siuation. Having said that, I do hope he will be able to return in time, the sooner the better.

As to the forum having become boring of late, I am fairly new to the GMIC compaired with many, however, I would respectfully suggest that the members all research and post as much as they are able in order to liven things up. The forum, any forum for that matter, relies on the membership to keep things interesting.

So, I'll throw down the gauntlet and challenge the members who have been quiet to post some well-researched and perhaps unusual items from your collections. :cheers:

Alea iacta est!

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

ohhhhh...the Ricks have been busy!

It is quiet but frankly the last 4 months for me have taken off in a variety of ways. I hope to be more active once the holidays are over.

NO! not everything has been identified!!!!! I am still trying to identify a WW1 Austrian Oberlieutenant wearing a Bavarian Order of Military Merit possibly 4th Class with swords. I guess no one has an award roll for the Bavarian Order of Military Merit 4th with swords. Also no one seems to be able to Identify his mysterious Breast Badge. I guess if it is not German, no one cares. George in Eureka.

Edited by army historian

Hi George,

I don't think it is a matter that, "...if it is not German, no one cares". I've found that if any of the members can identify something they will, even if it is not within the scope of their interest and/or collection. I know it can be frustrating to post something for identification and get no responses but several posts stating , "can't help you there", seems like a waste.

Having said that,...can't help you there. :unsure:

Regards

Brian

The Bavarian MVO rolls are worked on. But - how can this guy then be identified? There were, at least, dozens of Austrians to receive this order, if not hundereds. I have no idea if it will work...

Sometimes it just takes patience in this hobby. :sleep:

looks like an austro-hungarian combat leadership badge

Yes Eric, it does look like a Hungarian 1922 Combat leadership badge - except for the knob at the top of the badge in the photo. Thanks Captain Albert

Also I apologize if I offended anyone - yes it is frustrating sometimes - I have been working on this photograph off and on since 2005.

Edited by army historian

Hi George,

I wouldn't worry about offending anyone as your statement simply expresses the frustration we have all felt at one time or another.

Sometimes it is a good idea (probably in my opinion only)to revive a post from time to time in case a new member or one of the more seasoned members has resently attained additional information. It's easy to forget about a post asking for help with identification after a time so a gentle reminder once in a while may be worth while.

Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...

looks like an austro-hungarian combat leadership badge

Thanks Eric, I spent a lot of time and eye sight trying to compare the badge in the photo with various Stormtroopers, flying, and other badges. I have come to the conclusion it is a 1922 Hungarian Combat Leadership Badge. You were correct. Cheers Captain Albert :cheers:

Hi George,

I wouldn't worry about offending anyone as your statement simply expresses the frustration we have all felt at one time or another.

Sometimes it is a good idea (probably in my opinion only)to revive a post from time to time in case a new member or one of the more seasoned members has recently attained additional information. It's easy to forget about a post asking for help with identification after a time so a gentle reminder once in a while may be worth while.

Regards

Brian

Right on! I started thumbing through the lists a long time ago, got distracted by family matters and totally forgot!

What REALLY sticks out is the Bavarian Ludwigs cross. So this guy had the SL the Carl troop cross and the war medal and nothing else. That screams staff/rear eschelon dR doesn't it?

NO LS or commemorative medals? Hmmmm.....