News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian Partisan Badge

Stogieman

Just received an unnumbered screwback Partisan in great condition. The nut is quite interesting - it is the same as one in a previous post but someone has deliberaely "wiped out" the legibility of the obverse of the nut for some reason. It is still readable - in relief - on the reverse.

I'm always surprised about the size of these Mongolian awards / badges. They tend to appear much smaller on a picture then they wind up being in reality:)

• Replies 206
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly enough the Partisan badge in Battushig's book also has the source markings "erased" on the obverse of the nut - could there be some "political" reason to do so or just a coincidence?

Setting aside the fact that many (most?) Mongolian awards make their way to us with screw-backs that may not the their originals . . . .

The same "erased" plate is also seen in the first type of the herder badges and on many other early badges. While I doubt there is any political agenda at work here, it is not an uncommonly observed item. The signficance? I have no clue.

As we start to think beyond types and the Battushig "alphabet" (C, D, E, F, etc.) and start to think about the badges generationally (for example, which have what I think of as the "pin and spring" reverse pin?), new sorts of patterns may begin to emerge?

Guest Rick Research

The coiled solder filled wire "tubes" and pin is typical of Chinese awards, at least of the Civil War period. Must have been a common style in that part of the world, though seems excessively labor intensive and delicate/difficult to make.

• 3 months later...

Interior, part 2. Oddly, it seems to be a 31 October 1966 document, the same date as what I always assume to be the inside-the-front-covber next-of-kin inscription?

Some (though I guess they don't frequent this forum) may question the photo, but it seems legit (and is over-stamped) to me.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

:off topic:

There's a goat tax in Mongolia? :Cat-Scratch:

Animal herding has been, until the 1970s, the major sector of the economy, so any sensible State taxes those sectors of the economy that exist. Glad someone finds basic economics so entertaining.

Animal herding has been, until the 1970s, the major sector of the economy, so any sensible State taxes those sectors of the economy that exist. Glad someone finds basic economics so entertaining.

ODMs comprise a major portion of my discrentionary income spending. I'm very glad there's not a "medal tax"! :cool:

• 5 months later...

Interesting differences here Ed... Especially given that the simpler one seems to pre-date the hard-bound one.

Yes, Rick. Much to sort out. Need to get all these documents in front of me all at once.

But the faces . . . the FACES . . . Mongolian history in images?!

• 4 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

As I have now finished, and submitted, my article for the JOMSA on the Order of Combat Valor, I am now turning to my next project, an article on this fine little badge. Can anyone add new information to the pile of conjecture I have to work with.

As they congeal, I shall post my theories here for comment by any who still frequent (infrequent?) this forum.

• 6 months later...

Time for an exciting update!!! I just got in badge # 17 and it's also made from the same recycled material as the badge I posted a year or two ago...

Here is what I thought it was.......