News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone,

Last year I purchased an Imperial German medal bar that had lost its medals. I'm sure someone had removed the medals and sold them as singles thereby destroying the group. Since I already had replacements for the missing medals I decided to purchase the bar.

The next step would be to reaffix the medals to the bar. How hard could that be, I'm thinking. Once the bar arrived I could see this was going to be quite the task as I had forgotten about the metal plate upon which Imperial medals are mounted. Using curved sewing needles I was, after a lot of tedious work, able to once again see the bar as it may have once appeared.

I'll post the ribbon bar, as it looked when it arrived, first and then the finished project.

Regards

Brian

post-1801-092924000 1295378483_thumb.jpg

This is the finished project. I don't know how many times I had to remove a medal and try again but finally I managed to complete it. The medals are not even at the bottom but I had to stop somewhere and I like the way it turned out. I've seen a lot worse work on original period groups.

I chose the 15 Year Long Service Cross as I had it on hand and from what I understand it cold have been the one on the original. In researching period groups containing the Long Service Cross I noticed that some were mounted with the number of years service as the obverse and others were with the Imperial Crown as the obverse. I decided to mount it with the crown showing.

Considering that I paid way too much for the ribbon bar I'm not sure I would do this again, (we all know I probably will), but it was a fun project and I didn't stab my finger even once with the needle. :whistle:

I hope you like my newest addition to the collection.

Regards

Brian

post-1801-088063600 1295379231_thumb.jpg

This is the finished project. I don't know how many times I had to remove a medal and try again but finally I managed to complete it. The medals are not even at the bottom but I had to stop somewhere and I like the way it turned out. I've seen a lot worse work on original period groups.

I chose the 15 Year Long Service Cross as I had it on hand and from what I understand it cold have been the one on the original. In researching period groups containing the Long Service Cross I noticed that some were mounted with the number of years service as the obverse and others were with the Imperial Crown as the obverse. I decided to mount it with the crown showing.

Considering that I paid way too much for the ribbon bar I'm not sure I would do this again, (we all know I probably will), but it was a fun project and I didn't stab my finger even once with the needle. :whistle:

I hope you like my newest addition to the collection.

Regards

Brian

I think you did an outstanding job restoring this medal bar. It looks great!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that pays too much for incomplete medal bars. :speechless:

(I guess that is what is keeping me from getting that last award to complete it.)

Congratulations with this nice piece! You did an outstanding job!!

Good idea to restore destroyed (can't recall a good english word for it right now after having drunk 2 Westvleteren Trappist beers) bars with medals you have already.

Keep up the good work!

Poulton

Very nice job Brian!!! Glad to see this lovely bar back to life!!!

And I'll grab the opportunity to ask:

I also got one destroyed bar (in much worse condition, but it was cheap :whistle:) and I'd like tor estore it.

It's bavarian from franco-prussian war and there should be prussian combatant medal on left, centenary medal on right - but I'm not sure what goes in the middle: bavarian long service (could be a medal or cross, or both?) or 1866 war cross? or something else?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Edited by Valter

Hello Valter.

Thanks for posting this interesting medal bar, I wish I could help you with the identification.

Perhaps you should post this on the Imperial German section so some of the more informed members can see it and perhaps tell you what is missing.

Regards

Brian