News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

Well, 81mph is too fast for a regular surface ship, and too slow for an aircraft, so it must be some sort of torpedo boat or hovercraft. There is mention of an early hovercraft (the L-5) developed by Vladimir Levkov in the 1930s that reached a top speed of 81mph during trials, and it mentions that 20 prototypes were built, but since the AK-230 30mm cannon wasn't developed until the 1950s, it cannot be this model. Still, my guess is that it is some type of hovercraft or fast attack torpedo boat.

Edited by Harvey

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windu,

Link of source is not obligatory for the answer. Respondant is to provide reply to main question and background information where possible.

It is up to the person asking the question to supply the source of the info or additional background info when this has not been provided.

Regards,

Jim :cheers:

Like Harvey, I was thinking hovercraft - Way too slow for an aircraft (would be shot down!!) and way too fast for a regular hulled vessel! So I'll try to provide a reply...although its probably not it due to different specifications!

Soviet built Hovercraft known as project 1232.2 or Pomornik class Amphibous landing craft, also called Zubr (Bison) by the Russians.

Some online specs:

Displacement (tons):

480 tons standard

535 tons full load

Speed (kts):

60-63 knots

Dimensions (m):

56.2 meters long 22.3 meters beam 2.0 meters draft

Propulsion:

5 gas. turbines x 10000 hp; 3 four bladed variable air props., GT generator: 4x100 kW; 300 n.m/55 kts; endurance: 5 days

Crew: 21-31 crew

Missiles:

2x22 140mm Ogon launchers (132 missiles)

4 x 4 SA Strela-3 total: 32

Guns:

2 x 6 AK-630 gattl. AA (6 x 30 mm; r: 6'000rds/m/mount; 6000 rounds)

Military lift:

3 T-80 tanks or 8 BMP-3 or 10 BTR-80 APC or 140 assault troops with 130 tons cargo

Electronics:

General detection radar

Navigation radar

Electronic Countermeasures System

Pic to follow:

Edited by JimZ

This is a picture of the Zubr Class hovercraft (docked)

I am not sure how many were actually built but its in the 18 - 20 range as some were scrapped before completion.

Guns are not what Windu suggested and speed is lower I believe.....

Ok...

So I guess its the Aist class (Project 12321)

And the British "twin" is SR.N4 Mk 2 Mountbatten class hovercraft

Same weapons you propose, same speed range, same capacity with estimated 20-24 in production....

....guess its it now.

Finally.. :)

You're correct Jim..! Your point! :cheers:

Prototype built in 1970, total 20 produced until 1985..

I think it's the fastest Military Hovercraft on earth, isn't it?? US-LCAC or other Military Hovercrafts aren't as fast as it, am i correct?

I ever read in a magazine that the 2 main propellers' machine based on Tu-95 'Bear' propellers' machine..

Windu

The score is presently as follows:

10 points - JimZ

7 points - Harvey

5 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

Question 29 is next ......

Question 29

Ok - I have decided to make you suffer with this question. Its really an easy question and we are speaking of a famous and symbolic monument. But I feel we need a bit of a weekend challenge here.

Below is a sattelite image:

I am looking for a particular monument in this image although there could actually be several. But this is a special one!!

Question:

1) To whom is the monument dedicated?

2) What does it symbolise?

3) Where is it located (area and village/town/city)?

4) Can you post an image of it?

No specific form to the reply other than the above four questions which you can reply to in any format or sequence.

No other hints will be provided (as yet). I will however provide closer zooms until the monument itself becomes visibly clear from the top - either one zoom per 24 hours or one zoom per 2 attempts at an answer to the above question. HOWEVER - FOR EVERY ONE ATTEMPT BY A NEW PARTICPANT WITH ZERO POINTS, ANOTHER ZOOM WILL BE UPLOADED.

There is a logic to this madness and clues do exist for the more observant.

Warning: If you decide to try to match the google map over the USSR ... good luck! :cheeky:

Enjoy hunting!

Edited by JimZ

Yes, it's a big target! Can be 'sitting-duck' if it has no special ability..

Hey Jim, what's wrong with my avatar picture?

She's very cute, isn't it?? :P

If McDonalds or Starbucks pay me $5 a year, i'll use their symbol as my avatar..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Windu

P.S: don't worry, i think i'll change my avatar soon..

But still haven't decide what's the picture.. :speechless:

LOL - never said she wasn't :)

I Know Mervyn had a go at your avatar too.... Well I thought that with the right incentive and for the common good, you might reconsider. ;)

Well....If you will not gain every one a free zoom...at least try a guess so that with the next one, I'll start zoning in.

I know its a stab in the dark at the moment....but if I had to go too close, it'd be waaaay too easy for anyone.

Take care!

Ok....You probably need a nuke to hit a monument in as wide an area as that without knowing where it is!!!

Just because its Friday and just becasue I'm going home.....some more focus!!!

Is this what you're looking for, Jim? If so, I'll provide more details.

And yes, I did do a Google Earth search - not as hard as I would've thought; only took a few minutes to narrow it down to the area in question.

Question 29

1) To whom is the monument dedicated?

It is dedicated to the victims & liquidators of the Chernobyl disaster.

2) What does it symbolise?

It symbolizes the nuclear catastrophe of Chernobyl, and also the symbolic heroism of those who gave their lives fighting the fires and trying to protect others by cleaning up the site.

3) Where is it located (area and village/town/city)?

It is located in Moscow's Mitino cemetery, where some of the firefighters who battled the flames and later died of radiation exposure are buried. It is about 13.5 miles northwest of downtown Moscow, between the towns of Otradnoye to the west and Gavrilkovo to the east.

4) Can you post an image of it?

See above post for image.

The score is presently as follows with Harvey scoring an additional point:

10 points - JimZ

8 points - Harvey

5 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

2 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

Question 30 is next ...... Harvey............

Edited by JimZ

Ok, this one may be a bit tricky, but maybe it'll keep y'all occupied for more than 15 minutes...

1. WHAT IS IN THE CENTER OF THIS STRUCTURE?

2. WHO LIVED HERE?

3. WHERE IS IT LOCATED?

Edited by Harvey