News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian State Security

Bob

Interesting example and especially since we have a 1991 Date! Please note that we have badge #201 (!!) being awarded. Further documentation that these were probably made in one big lot and then handed out over the entire life of the Republic!

I'm not sure this is a badge number, there are 2 types of more recent KGB badges, see post 1 for one of these, and these are unnumbered!!!!.

I cannot imagine that these are from the last 10 years only.

Moreover on the 80th anniv badge from 2001, we see that the KGB has switched to an eagle as symbol.

I believe, but a good translation should be able to tell us more, that the numbers on the doc are not a date but more something in the line of : by decision 201, of March 18, 1991, blabla received the KGB badge"

As usual just my 2 cents

Jan

Edited by vatjan

• 3 weeks later...

Alexei just sold a fabulous T2 with matching (early style) document with a green cover and emblem on it. Outstanding piece! Anybody here the lucky dog??!! :jumping:

Yes :P

Edited by Bob

Found out that this booklet apparently belongs to a a D05.

Really? Were documents still issued in Mongolian script after 1960?? The post-1960 arms are used on D 05, but the post-1940 arms on D 03a and D 03b. Would have expected a Cyrillic document that late?? I would surely have expected Cyrillic was "gifted" by the Friendly Northern Neighbor in 1941, but Mongolian before that.

While we're on this, how different are D 03a and D 03b as varieties? Are these true varieties or is this just a case of a very thin gilt coating on a silver base evaporating or being absorbed and appearing now, after some 65 years, to be silver? Is D03b just well preserved, while D 03a has has the thin gilt float off into the atmosphere. This process is quite common in many pof the Indian awards that I focus on, and I wouldn't be surprised if Central Asian chemistry worked in a similar fashion to the South Asian.

Really? Were documents still issued in Mongolian script after 1960?? The post-1960 arms are used on D 05, but the post-1940 arms on D 03a and D 03b. Would have expected a Cyrillic document that late?? I would surely have expected Cyrillic was "gifted" by the Friendly Northern Neighbor in 1941, but Mongolian before that.

Huh? I was referring to the red booklet.

• 4 weeks later...

Any indication of any match between badge number and a number given in the two documents, in either script??

What are the numbers and types, by the way?

To be honest, I am increasinglky unsure that the guilt and silver varieties may not in fact be the same, with a thin gilt evaporated on some, as the numbers -- so far -- overlap with gay abandon. Until we can get some SOLID dates on these, we are at sea (a hard thing to do in Mongolia).

Any indication of any match between badge number and a number given in the two documents, in either script??

What are the numbers and types, by the way?

To be honest, I am increasinglky unsure that the guilt and silver varieties may not in fact be the same, with a thin gilt evaporated on some, as the numbers -- so far -- overlap with gay abandon. Until we can get some SOLID dates on these, we are at sea (a hard thing to do in Mongolia).

The one with red booklet is a D05 and does not have a number (as per design). The D03a (with old booklet) is number 163. I also have another one of these (number 819) without booklet.

Some additional ones most of which you'll recognize. 2 NIB's - 50 and 60 year of state prosecution - very light badges.

Also have the 60 years (D09)with document but I believe it's already posted in this thread or elsewhere.

Guest Rick Research

The "163" badge's matching Book bears that number and the date "Year 24" (1944) "Month 7 Day 17." :beer:

• 4 weeks later...