News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian State Security

Bob

Not long ago, a well known dealer sold one (WITH DOC) for $795 and right now there is another one from another well known dealer for sale for $970 (WITHOUT DOC).

That's how I based "my" today's value info.

Dolf

Thank you. The reason I asked is that I might have a chance to buy one numbered 4XX.

Dear All,

Again, thanks a lot for your advice. I finally picked up the KGB badge and would like to share some images. First is the case. Is this a standard case for this badge?

Congrats Albert :beer:

Apparently a D 03b on Dr. Battushig's reference book. Unless it's a D 03a! Honestely never really understood the real difference(s) :unsure:

Yes, as far as I can tell from others I've had and seen, this is one of the usual Mongolian boxes.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Congrats Albert :beer:

Apparently a D 03b on Dr. Battushig's reference book. Unless it's a D 03a! Honestely never really understood the real difference(s) :unsure:

Yes, as far as I can tell from others I've had and seen, this is one of the usual Mongolian boxes.

Dolf

After long discussions on this topic with Bat in UB, I think we can conjoin D03a and D03b into a single Type 1 badge (low 14, high 975). The gilt is so thin (as on the Udarnik badge) that it often fades away.

The case seems normal Mongolian.

Nice one. :beer:

After long discussions on this topic with Bat in UB, I think we can conjoin D03a and D03b into a single Type 1 badge (low 14, high 975). The gilt is so thin (as on the Udarnik badge) that it often fades away.

The case seems normal Mongolian.

Nice one. :beer:

Ed,

As I never had one of these on my hands, the two only possible differences I thought there was (from pics, here, on Dr. Battushig's book, and elsewhere) between D03a and D03b were:

- D03a would be slightely bigger, mainly on the width.

- D03a would have a different color on the reverse.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying this. On the contrary of most Mongolian awards it's nice to see there is one less variation :P

Dolf :beer:

The difference was, apparently, intended to be silver as against silver-gilt. If you squint real hard, even the most faded-out "silver" badge has some traces of gilt in the cracks and crannies.

Yes, it is nice to see varieties becoming FEWER. Not many cases of that, I fear, though some things we presently think of "varieties" at present may well be only random variation in manufacturing batches. "Islands" of deviant manufacturing within an otherwise unbroken type. More knowledge, more knowledge, . . . !

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...