News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris,

it is the insignia as worn by members of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 185. In June 1917, the regiments of the 208. Infanterie-Division each received a white cloth distinguishing mark of differing patterns:

I.R. 25: an horizontal bar surmounted by an upright bar

I.R. 185: an horizontal bar surmounted by x (as illustrated)

R.I.R. 65: an horizontal bar surmounted by a cross

F.A.R. 267:an horizontal bar surmounted by a triangle.

Foot Artillery: an horizontal bar surmounted by a square

Your PLM holder is Oberst Paul Krause, commander of I.R. 185.

Regards

Glenn

Congratulations! The pictures are very rare! I have only two photos of the 208.

Once of the RIR65 and one of the staff of the division (just a single horizontal bar). Note the 208 sleeve insignis for the Fernsprech-Abteilung of the Inf.Div. 208.

I still have another question to the photo of the car. Could this insignia stand for the Kraftfahrer-Abteilung of that division? A horizontal bar with a surmounted circle? I´ve never read anything about that, but it could be...

Hello Odulf!

Wonderful photo! Chapeau! Thanx for showing! The 1 must not stand for january. It could the 1st photo of his collection...

Sure is, the order to wear the special insignias came out in june 1917. Unfortunately we only see the front of the soldiers, because those insignias appeared on the back of their helmets too! I´ve never seen a photo of that, but it´s recorded in several histories

Edited by The Prussian

• 6 years later...
    On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2011 at 09:32, The Prussian said:

Once of the RIR65 and one of the staff of the division (just a single horizontal bar). Note the 208 sleeve insignis for the Fernsprech-Abteilung of the Inf.Div. 208.

Gruppen-Fernsprech-Abteilung 208 (Oval-Abzeichen, 208.Inf.Div.).JPG

Look at that, he seems to have some sort of Helmet cover?