News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KHALKIN GOL 1939

Guest Rick Research

Recently acquired below "Khalkhin Gol 1939" book.

From collectrussia.com:

""Khalkin Gol, 1939" , by Uslyn Publishing House, Ulaan Baatar, 1989. In Mongolian.

Excellent photo documentary on this key battle against the Japanese, immediately preceding WW 2. Shows great number of pictures of Russian and Mongolian servicemen with close-up details of uniforms and awards, also contains color maps and recent photos of the battlefield.

Shows among other things photos of all recipients of the Title of Hero of the Soviet Union and Title of Hero of Mongolia who received the title for the Khalkin Gol Battle.

Superb reference for pre/early WW2 Soviet uniforms and gear. Scarce and out of print. "

I confirm it's a great book - just wish I could read the text:)

I'll attach some scans - first cover.

• Replies 137
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just trying to put a few things together here....

In the signature thread (posts 22,23,24) there are several documents that have the signature of a mystery man named Sharav...

The dates range from 1950 to 1958.

In the pages Bob has posted there is a Mongolian hero B sharav.

Could this be the same guy??

Is there more text in the book about this man or is that it???

I whipped out the old dictionary and did a translation of the text and here is what I came up with.

It was an easy translation for a change so I'm pretty confident it's right. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, I'm speculating for now until I get my copy of the book, Thanks again UB6356!!

JC

8th mounted Division

23rd mounted Regiment

Platoon commander

V. Sharav

There must be more in the book about him but alas beyond Dutch, English and German I'm not very good linguistically.

However, I've got the blue bible (thanks UB!) in my possession now and would be very surprised if - just like the other heroes - there's not a more elaborate bio on Sharav in it.

I'll have a look this evening and post a scan. Your dictionary can hopefully do the rest:)

• 3 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Gents,

I've scanned this excellent thread to see if anyone had commented upon current value for these badges, uncased and no document, but didn't see any reference to that. There is one I see each Tuesday at the Coin and Stamp Show but haven't asked the price as I am not sure what it should be. I'd appreciate some help here.

Regards,

Gordon

Gents,

I've scanned this excellent thread to see if anyone had commented upon current value for these badges, uncased and no document, but didn't see any reference to that. There is one I see each Tuesday at the Coin and Stamp Show but haven't asked the price as I am not sure what it should be. I'd appreciate some help here.

Regards,

Gordon

Well, here is one for 595 dollars.

http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=19536

That establishes the upper limit :P there should be (but don't seem to be) price differences between the two varieties and do be aware that fakes abound in these dark days, some pretty good if you've never seen the real thing.

That establishes the upper limit :P there should be (but don't seem to be) price differences between the two varieties and do be aware that fakes abound in these dark days, some pretty good if you've never seen the real thing.

I echo Ed's words of wisdom. The seller has a great reputation for having authentic items, but his prices are at the upper limit. With that being said, the repros on these are highly desirable badges are beyond excellent, so be very careful. In this case, I feel that paying a bit more is worth the piece of mind.

Ed,

There are two variations? Can you please illustrate?

Paul

Ed,

There are two variations? Can you please illustrate?

Paul

Think they are shown here, the "badge" mirror-backed and the "order" flat backed. There is also a higher quality sub-variety of type 1 but that is probably just manufacturing variability.

Paul,

I followed your link but it didn't take me to the Khalkhin Gol on the Collect Russia site but to a different badge. I did find the Khalkhin Gol and it was listed for $295.00

Thanks for everyone suggestions re the purchase of one of these badges. There are lots of excellent pictures of the Khalkhin Gol in this thread and I intend to study them, in relation to the badge for sale here, before coming to any decisions to buy or not. This will probably be just an exercise in learning about Mongolian badges. Always a worthwhile exercise for any countries awards.

Rick,

I've looked at the Mongolian books on collect Russia, as well as the Chinese book recomended, but I really balk at paying $40.00 shipping for books that range in price from $20.00 to 39.95. Perhaps I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the fees but I won't do it happily!

Regards,

Gordon