News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unidentified WW1 Luftstreitkraefte Signatures

• 4 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...
    • 1 year later...

These two are from a silver box signed and engraved by 36 men on the lid.  34 are ID'ed as PLM Flieger.  Only these two remain unidentified.  Can you help?  The first is in the centre below Bongartz.  The second is at the bottom below Richthofen and Boelcke.  Thanks!

DSC02600.thumb.JPG.24a10d8b71fcf92ec488be09b6591dc6.JPG

DSC02602.thumb.JPG.fecf54bf9f3df07c20e3112519222041.JPG

The second signature is a bit difficult for me, but I tried looking up the first.  It should have been relatively easy, but I'm not coming up with a match.

I'm not convinced that first one (or the second) is a pilot or an observer.  This box has the signatures of PLM winners to flieger AND U-boat.  However, after looking at aces for a match I did look up some obvious U-boat commanders and I didn't find a match.

Yes, thank you, Claudius.  The types of PLM winners are all segregated.  36 PLM winners to Flieger on top--34 confirmed!  It would be odd if 2 out of 36 are non-Flieger.  But it is beginning to look that way.  The front of the box has the U-boot and the two sides Army.  Maybe they are Army names?  Thank you for trying.  Maybe I will post the unidentified U-boot names and you will spot somebody.  Rgds

1 hour ago, Luftmensch said:

Yes, thank you, Claudius.  The types of PLM winners are all segregated.  36 PLM winners to Flieger on top--34 confirmed!  It would be odd if 2 out of 36 are non-Flieger. 

Ahh, a very good point.  I'll go back to looking at the fliegertruppen for a match.

But it is beginning to look that way.  The front of the box has the U-boot and the two sides Army.  Maybe they are Army names?  Thank you for trying.  Maybe I will post the unidentified U-boot names and you will spot somebody. 

Sure, go ahead.

Edited by Claudius

• 7 months later...
    2 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

Referring back to my own post (no.27) from 2014, could the name be Hptm von Hünersdorff ?

I am pretty sure it is Erich Carl Benno Heinersdorff, *29.5.1874 in Culm, †22.5.1930 in Hamburg; Hptm., IR 147, Maj.a.D., zuletzt Okdo. d. 18.Armee.

Kurt v. Hünersdorff from the 1.GFußAR was still an Oberleutnant, receiving the Charakter as Hptm.a.D. on 31.3.20.

• 4 years later...
    24 minutes ago, Soderbaum said:

Hi Dave

Yes that is the signature for Anton von Brederlow, he left as commander of FA 17 on 19.05.1918.

Gunnar

Thanks!

If you have any summary career details you can add, we can add him to the signature database. This is all I have:

Brederlow, Anton Joachim Werner von
    * 16.11.1887 auf Groß-Saalau
    † 13.12.1946 in Lauenburg an der Elbe

18.08.1908 Leutnant mit Patent vom 17.09.1906 im Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 16
    28.11.1914 Oberleutnant
    18.04.1916 Rittmeister

Kommandeur FFA 17

Kommandeur Jasta 17

Rittmeister a.D.
    Oberstleutnant [d.R.] der Luftwaffe

For some reason, various online sources call him "Heinz Anton", which is incorrect. His brother Hans-Wittich from the reserve of DR 2 was also an aviator and later a Luftwaffe Major d.R.

Hi Dave,

Yes most sources published until today have mixed up Anton with the service of Hans-Wittich, partly due the fact that they served together in some units.

I have read the BAMA file for Anton von Brederlow. Unfortunate it does not contain any KRL ? Anton started his aviation training already late 1911 (cannot find date in MWB) at FlgSt Darmstadt. Those who temporarily trained as flyers often went back to their Regiment, so I think that also Anton did that, as he did not received his FzAbx until spring 1914. He was "back" at FB 3/3 Darmstadt late 1913 or early 1914. I do believe that his War units roughly were like this: 

FFA 27, BOW - x.

FFA 69, at least from 03.1916 until ca 01.06.1916

Com KG 4/21, ca 01.06.1916 until 07.11.1916

Com Js 17, 11.11.1916 - 04.05.1917 when WIA

FEA 8, 06.1917 - summer 1917, after Lazarett

FEA 11, summer 1917 - x

Com FA 38 (ex FFA 69), at least from 11.1917 - 03.1918 

Com FA 17 (not FFA), 12.04.1918 - 19.05.1918

Com JGr 11, 19.05.1918 - x

Com Js 17, ev. 08.1918 - EOW

known awards: 

Fz.Abz 03.1914, EKII 13.09.1914,Gr.Hess.Tapf.Med 20.09.1914,EKI 27.01.1915,EB 29.12.1917,BulgTapfMed IVKl 10.02.1918,Bulg.FzAbz  05.03.1918,Hohx 13.04.1918,ErAbz 1919. Also probably VwAbz

Gunnar

Gunnar,

This is the document from which the signature came. Note the unit. Maybe Brederlow's file got it wrong.

1838075430_GrauertFlge.thumb.jpg.f30503ea420ad38f27da07380326ea7d.jpg

Further to the above: I just went back and checked Grauert's Personalakte. His Dienstlaufbahn has FA 17, but the KrRL-Auszug in his file (from AFP 19) has FFA 17. So the Luftwaffe clerk transcribing for the DLB got it wrong.

Edited by Dave Danner

Hi again Dave,

No the notes about Anton service as commander of FA 17 is correct. Note that it did not exist any FFAs from 1917 until EOW, the last units were renamed to FAs or FAAs early Jan 1917.

However it is not unusual to see that some units used an old (wrong) Stempel. Maybe they were too lazy buying an new Stempel with the correct unit name..

It is some times tricky to understand the unit name for an German aviation unit because also German clerks also made frequent mistakes due the renaming ?

Gunnar

Edited by Soderbaum

• 1 year later...

Hi Mattyboy

The signature should be Oblt Steppuhn. I do think his first name is Hugo who received the Hohenzollern award. 

Btw, FA 44 had become an Armee Flieger Abteilung around 1 Oct 1918, so the paper and Stempel is wrong. Steppuhn was leader of the Tagesstaffel. The unit "now" had over 20 a/c. I dont knew who took over after Heyder.

Gunnar

Edited by Soderbaum

• 4 months later...

Hi Mattyboy

It is interesting that Ludwig Siebringhaus signed this document as Hptm, because he already mid 1917 signed similar documents as Major. So apparently his possible promotion to char Major aD was retaken ?

He died 1961 according to an reference at BAMA in Freiburg. I have been unable to find his exact date and location of death, anyone who can help ?

Gunnar