News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Long Service awards..

John, that's a very nice collection of medals.

Dave, how comes I didn't see any awards when I was last in England? Where were you hiding them, with your daggers?

Tony

Tony mate,I have stacks more but its all in storage......I'm only "allowed" a small collection in the house!

Dave

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

That is a nice one, Gerd.

The same service for both men.. Probably from the same regiment. :cheers:

Thanks, John. Thats absolutely possible. What i found strange was that there is no eagle on the ribbon, but this was worn this way, i am sure about that. The guy, i got it from, got it directly from the wearer.

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

That is quite an OLD cop bar! In the military 1897 (Wilhelm I Centenary Medal) but not a career active duty NCO (Reserve-Landwehr Medal), which is where most German policemen were recruited from.

He flubbed the mounting precedence with the EARLY Bulgarian Silver Merit Medal and the Swedish Vasa Order's Medal in the middle instead of at the end where foreign awards belonged-- but this is the first time I have ever seen either of those on a German medal bar. :love::jumping:

He saw some combat (even 1 day's worth) in WW1-- probably called out as a Feldgendarme, and may have gotten the Saxe-Coburg Ernestine House Order Medal then, for war merit (no swords/date bar).

And there he was, 40 years on, with the M1937-39 Red Cross Medal-- must have been a 60-ish Meister-Hauptmeister Warrant Officer sort.

All my Polizei stuff went to a friend who collects only that, but I've been lured back. All I have at the moment aside from photos is this 25mm width ribbon bar, with the full sized embroidered ribbon device.

Hello,

Police long sevice awards rank as some of my most favorite awards. Here is my contribution.

Here is an example that is rather tough to find on a bar. The 8 year Police award. I have noticed that most medal bars have the 25 year or 18 year. I wonder why the 8 year is so tough to find on a medalbar?

Regards,

Jody smile.gif

Edited by JBeltram

Guest Rick Research

Most policemen in 1935 were ex-WW1 veterans who had "permanent civil service status" after 12+ years service (most already 18+ by then). In 1935 those with under 7 years of police service, who had entered during the 1920s directly from civil life, were transferred to the army or air force for whatever remained of their 12 years enlistments.

I have been trying to fnd out for years now when--or if-- police long service awards were halted during WW2 (military ones ceased being processed in 1939 and were last handed out in 1940, civil service awards ceased 30 January 1943, et cetera).

IF they were suspended in, say, 1943, only policemen who had joined in 1925+ would not have reached 18-- and those who joined 1928 on had all already been reassigned to the Wehrmacht. That leaves only those few years 1925-27 for entrants who earned an 8 but didn't reach an 18.

Likewise, for all the various Nazi Party members who flooded the police from 1935 on to replace the mandatory transferees... they would only have been eligible for an 8 in 1943, and only earlier (as I suspect your 3 medal bar wearer was) if their SA or whatever service time was rolled over into Police after they switched to the public rather than Party payroll...

so if awards had CEASED by then...

absence of DATA is driving me :speechless::speechless:

Most policemen in 1935 were ex-WW1 veterans who had "permanent civil service status" after 12+ years service (most already 18+ by then). In 1935 those with under 7 years of police service, who had entered during the 1920s directly from civil life, were transferred to the army or air force for whatever remained of their 12 years enlistments.

I have been trying to fnd out for years now when--or if-- police long service awards were halted during WW2 (military ones ceased being processed in 1939 and were last handed out in 1940, civil service awards ceased 30 January 1943, et cetera).

IF they were suspended in, say, 1943, only policemen who had joined in 1925+ would not have reached 18-- and those who joined 1928 on had all already been reassigned to the Wehrmacht. That leaves only those few years 1925-27 for entrants who earned an 8 but didn't reach an 18.

Likewise, for all the various Nazi Party members who flooded the police from 1935 on to replace the mandatory transferees... they would only have been eligible for an 8 in 1943, and only earlier (as I suspect your 3 medal bar wearer was) if their SA or whatever service time was rolled over into Police after they switched to the public rather than Party payroll...

so if awards had CEASED by then...

absence of DATA is driving me?:speechless::speechless:

Hi Rick,

Very interesting and I think you are on to something. Rick would you please e-mail me at jodybeltram@cox.net I need to ask you something.

Many thanks,

Jody :)

• 4 months later...

Boxes again :love:

In these you have the 8 Year hinged and unhinged box, the same appllies with the 18 Year medal, but in this instance you have a wide box and the normal width, lastly the 25 Year comes in just the hinged box with the wide version and normal width.

Then you have these too.

• 2 months later...