News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Chris,

Nice photos and quite a cross-section of Bavarian soft caps. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the deal is with the Prussian Jäger Feldmütze and the Bavarian cockade?

Chip

3 hours ago, Chip said:

Hi Chris,

Nice photos and quite a cross-section of Bavarian soft caps. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think the deal is with the Prussian Jäger Feldmütze and the Bavarian cockade?

Chip

Hi,

that is one of my Favourites :-) , It is hard to get a good shot of the color, but it is not Prussian bluegreen ....

Admittedly with the stamp it is not a one looker, but with some research it fits perfectly.

The maker stamp is a München firm. Basically the only question mark is the "XVI 1916" stamp... And once that is solved, it becomes a very interesting Feldmütze indeed.

If you read the Alpenkorps list of battles for August September 1916, you get this....

4.-19.8. Fighting at strongpoint Thiaumont
    8.8. Retaking strongpoint Thiaumont
    9.-15.9. Transport to Romania
    26.-29.9. Battle at Hermannstadt

There is a big "but" here.... the list of battles is the battles of the Alpenkorps... but it misses a couple of weeks where the Alpenkorps command were separated from their fighting units

In the last weeks of August the fighting troops of the Alpenkorps were just a ragged bunch of survivors... What the German command did was the following... The XVI was just to the North in the Argonne, so the fighting troops of the Alpenkorps transferred under the command of the XVI to reform, and the fighting troops of the XVI were sent to Verdun under Alpenkorps command to continue the fight.

As the Argonne was relatively quiet, the 2-3 weeks here were used to fully reequip the Alpenkorps fighting units with replacement troops and equipment while the XVI troops were at Verdun.

Then after the first week of September the Alpenkorps command with it's newly reformed and kitted out combat units transferred to Romania.

To do this the Uniforms, headgear, equipment needed must have been delivered to the XVI in advance to be issued to the Alpenkorps. So we can really pinpoint the 2-3 weeks that this was issued in.

For me the only down side is, a Bavarian Jäger Mütze stamped 1916 would be a Grail piece, if it still had the dust of Verdun in its seems... and this one obviously missed it all by weeks :-( ... but still, it was really interesting doing the detective work on this, and a nice moment when the "Ahhh... of course!" lightbulb went off.....

7 hours ago, ccj said:

The first one is a real beauty... I like them all but the first one has a perfect shape and look.

i would like to have your carmine piped cap. 

Hi, it is staff officer though, not field clergy ;-)

It has long been my thought that forces in the field that required new clothing issue items were supplied by whichever corps depot had the stocks on hand. Particularly convenient were the border corps that were the closest to the fighting. It doesn't make sense that every unit at the front had to be resupplied by its original corps Bekleidungsamt or a field depot representing each corps. I think that is one reason why we regularly see  caps with corps markings that don't make sense with regard to the field unit.

Of course, original issuing for recruits in the homeland would continue to be from the corps B.A. and would be marked thusly.

1 hour ago, Chip said:

It has long been my thought that forces in the field that required new clothing issue items were supplied by whichever corps depot had the stocks on hand. Particularly convenient were the border corps that were the closest to the fighting. It doesn't make sense that every unit at the front had to be resupplied by its original corps Bekleidungsamt or a field depot representing each corps. I think that is one reason why we regularly see  caps with corps markings that don't make sense with regard to the field unit.

Of course, original issuing for recruits in the homeland would continue to be from the corps B.A. and would be marked thusly.

Indeed... I cannot remember the exact date of the change but for the first couple of years of the war the "Armeekorps" had fixed divisions, and when they moved to a new sector the Armeekorps and divisions moved as a set. Later this was seen as not practical. The Armeekorps, or the later formed generalkommandos usually stayed in place with all their Korps troops (Fuss Arty etc) and became the experts of their sector. The Divisions however moved freely from sector to sector coming under the command of the Armeekorps in place. I am strongly of the opinion that this is why you see a change with the award process of the Iron Cross. Early in the war the Awards were approved by the General commanding a Corps, later in the war it was the general commanding a division. I believe this was because it was impossible to keep up with the administrative hassel of getting awards approved for a Division who had already moved 500 miles away. Of course, the Corps commander was still approving awards to Corps troops.

The next batch... obviously there is no way of knowing how long this edelweiss has been on, but it "feels" good....j1.thumb.jpg.ebb50c643239f8b61a533e13c05a90b1.jpgj2.thumb.jpg.5d4e3ef8cda3a15b37fe9228052b42d2.jpgk1.thumb.jpg.bc3b1a4c3f84061199964d30c09a35b7.jpgk2.thumb.jpg.6d2571ae3e4f13ec9b3b692150255554.jpgg3.thumb.jpg.4fe899ea94a3af5ec52927971980d9e0.jpgg4.jpg.1a72b594a92a74db13925ff72a455df5.jpgl1.jpg.4c9e8b9b0315a942d66db0d7fa075bbd.jpgl2.thumb.jpg.90277c404923ec7296da50d4c903f301.jpgl3.thumb.jpg.d25a88afc40e2f5df4af2b72939759c1.jpg

5 hours ago, Chris Liontas said:

Beautiful Chris! What kind of camera are you using?   

The iron cross label is a killer!  I don’t think I’ve seen that before.  Very nice! 

Hi, I will tell you the secret.... ;-)

I got an LED light box on ebay... takes 10 secods to set up... then use any camera. that should work fine for almost all photos.

I wanted to get as much focused depth in the photo, so...

I went a step further, I have a canon SLR with an automatic release in a tripod. I have it on f16 to get as much depth as possible and a 135mm lens, So I am about 2m away from the lightbox....

it is in fact really easy.... here is the lightbox I bought.... it has built in lights....

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Portable-Fotostudio-Schiesszelt-16-Zoll-Kleine-faltbare-LED-Light-Box-Softbox-J9/132749366350?hash=item1ee87a944e:g:yh0AAOSwkjBbeJoJ

On 23/08/2018 at 02:16, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi, it is staff officer though, not field clergy ;-)

Staff officer is what makes the cap special to me. I collect staff items

On 23/08/2018 at 20:40, Chris Boonzaier said:

Indeed... I cannot remember the exact date of the change but for the first couple of years of the war the "Armeekorps" had fixed divisions, and when they moved to a new sector the Armeekorps and divisions moved as a set. Later this was seen as not practical. The Armeekorps, or the later formed generalkommandos usually stayed in place with all their Korps troops (Fuss Arty etc) and became the experts of their sector. The Divisions however moved freely from sector to sector coming under the command of the Armeekorps in place. I am strongly of the opinion that this is why you see a change with the award process of the Iron Cross. Early in the war the Awards were approved by the General commanding a Corps, later in the war it was the general commanding a division. I believe this was because it was impossible to keep up with the administrative hassel of getting awards approved for a Division who had already moved 500 miles away. Of course, the Corps commander was still approving awards to Corps troops.

The next batch... obviously there is no way of knowing how long this edelweiss has been on, but it "feels" good....j1.thumb.jpg.ebb50c643239f8b61a533e13c05a90b1.jpgj2.thumb.jpg.5d4e3ef8cda3a15b37fe9228052b42d2.jpgk1.thumb.jpg.bc3b1a4c3f84061199964d30c09a35b7.jpgk2.thumb.jpg.6d2571ae3e4f13ec9b3b692150255554.jpgg3.thumb.jpg.4fe899ea94a3af5ec52927971980d9e0.jpgg4.jpg.1a72b594a92a74db13925ff72a455df5.jpgl1.jpg.4c9e8b9b0315a942d66db0d7fa075bbd.jpgl2.thumb.jpg.90277c404923ec7296da50d4c903f301.jpgl3.thumb.jpg.d25a88afc40e2f5df4af2b72939759c1.jpg

Hello Chris!

A very nice collection!

The Edelweiss is not an "official" one, but the "long" ones were worn too by german troops (inofficially)

Alpenkorps ( Edelweiß, Gebirgsstiefelhose).JPG

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...