News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear fellow collectors

I agree with dond, the ribbon comes after a commerative medal, which shows that the award on the ribbon wasn't as high-esteemed as the other orders. This indicates to me it is a LS medal.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Edited by laurentius

Hi,

intersting bar!

As I am trying to learn more about medal bars, could somebody be so kind to list the awards?

My amateurish try:

EKII_?_PreußischeDienstauszeichnung25Jahre_?_MecklenburgSchwerinVerdienstkreuz2Kl_?_OldenburgFAKreuz_DSWErinnerungsmedaille_DIenstauszMecklenburg?

Thank you, guys!

GreyC

Dear GreyC

The awards on the ribbonbar are as followed: EK2, HoHX, KO4, MMVK, WF3bX, OK, DSWA-gedenkmünze, MLS

The awards on the ribbonbar in their normal names, not their abreviations : Iron cross 2nd class, Hausorden von Hohenzollern with swords, Kronenorden 4th class, Mecklenburg Militärverdienstkreuz, Friedrichsorden 2nd class with swords, Friedrich August-kreuz (the abreviation is OK, meaning Oldenburgkreuz, in the navy it is OFAK), Südwestafrika-denkmünze and a mecklenburgian long service cross.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Hi Laurentius,

thank you very much for the abbreviation and thankfully their full names. Both very helpful. So I spotted a few, and now know a few more because of you.

As he has a Mecklenburg Dienstauszeichnung he will have served with  Mecklenburg units during his military career, right? However, he wears the EKII first and then the other two Prussian ones. Only then the MMVK. So he seems to have been a Prussian in a Mecklenburg unit? Interesting is the OK on top. As part of a Mecklenburger Infanterie or FAR unit he was with the 17th division, the Oldenburger units were in the 19th division. They never seemed to have fought directly together but at least in 1918 were used in the same areas.The Dragoon units of both states shared the same High Cavalry Comand (No2). Maybe he was a staff-member of a higher unit and got the OK in this position.

Best,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Dear GreyC

Unlike the naughty Saxons and Bavarians (and sometimes Wurttembergers) the Mecklenburgians never wore their own awards before an iron cross, This is more of a southern german tradition. I think this is a mecklenburger in a mecklenburgian regiment, they always wore their prussian awards first.

Kind regards, Laurentius