News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussia: Royal Houseorder of Hohenzollern, Cross of the Commander with swords

• 2 weeks later...

The Ludvigsen volume gives award numbers for both pre- (mainly 1860s/1870s) and WW1 awards by years, the Geile work on Prussian WW1 awards gives the WW1 awards, those to the army only, with names, ranks, and dates.

However, we have to keep in mind that from late 1916 on, they were produced and usually awarded in silver gilt! Once, when I had a damaged  example, I discussed this very issue with Daniel Krause, who assumed there were ca. thirty commanders and roughly a dozen grand commander crosses in real gold awarded in WW1...

3 hours ago, David M said:

wht about during the exile of the emperor?

We could find in the Doorn archive:

HOH2bX

27.1.1924 von Dommes, General á la suite Generalmajor, Potsdam

25.8.1925 Mewes, Flügeladjutanten Major

14.3.1926 von Kleist, Flügeladjutant Oberst

24.12.1927 von Unruh, Generalmajor, Regensburg

27.1.1928 von Sell, Freiherr

HOH2aX

15.6.1928 Graf von Platen-Hallermund, Vizeadmiral und Hofmarschall, Berlin

With a total of 151 persons over all classes to be found and a total of 349 awards declared by the Royal House of Hohenzollern towards German authorities in 134 we can estimate a number of about 10 HOH2a/bX.

Two of them (v. Gontard and Mewes) are to be seen here:

v. Gontard, v. Dommes, v. Ilsemann and Mewes.jpg

Edited by Komtur

Thanks for these most valuable additions! However, the crosses awarded in Doorn era would probably have been gilt only, made or supplied by Godet, and came in another style of boxes.

See also the excellent article  Die Vergabe des Königlichen Hausordens von Hohenzollern durch Wilhelm II. im Doorner Exil | geschichtlich – bildlich – statistisch by Tilo Wahl, published in the DGO yearbook 2012, pages 2 to 22.

;)

Edited by saschaw

I have an entry that on 27-01-1928 L.A.C.O. Müldner von Mülnheim Major a.D. and Referent bei der Generalverwaltung unter Belassung seines Dienstverhältnisses als persönlicher Adjutant des Kronprinzen received the HOH2bXaR

7 hours ago, David M said:

I have an entry that on 27-01-1928 L.A.C.O. Müldner von Mülnheim Major a.D. and Referent bei der Generalverwaltung unter Belassung seines Dienstverhältnisses als persönlicher Adjutant des Kronprinzen received the HOH2bXaR

I have him too, but didn´t mention him because of the am Ring. ?

• 1 year later...
    3 hours ago, David M said:

Because there is no grandcross, right?

There is the Großkomturkreuz and the Stern der Großkomture, classes quite similar to a grandcross. But the Hausorden von Hohenzollern (1. Abteilung) has some anomalies. Whereas most of the grandcross (or first) classes of German orders belong of both, cross and star, the Großkomturkreuz and the Stern der Großkomture des Hausordens von Hohenzollern were single awards. Indeed the single Stern der Großkomture often was awarded after the Black Eagle Order.

Königlich HOH1 Doorn SZ 1.jpg

31249_186286-00021.jpg