News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oscar II jubilee medal 1897

Hello!

Do any of the members have close up pictures of the jubilee medal of 1897? Preferrably the norwegian variant with red enamel. 

I have seen two types of pattern behind the enamel, dots and a ”sunray” type of pattern. The norwegian medal was only awarded 49 times so it is strange with two different patterns. 

Morton & Eden sold a Norwegian type several years ago, seem to recall that it was a dot behind enamel pattern variety.  That image may be available directly from them or on-line.  Don't remember seeing any 'sunray' examples within the past 20-30 years though Kai Meyer may have had one in the 1970's. 

There are 2 types for Swedes, light blue enamel [and ribbon] and dark blue enamel [and ribbon].  The light blue [typical Swedish color] honored royals attending the celebration and dark blue went mainly to royal household staff.  Neither of these have champlevé work under the enamel unlike the Norwegian variety.

Notes in the large Swedish book published in the 1950's provide the number of awards--sorry forgot the name of the book and author, it's in storage.  There might be about 230 light and 260 dark examples issued.  

The one sold at Morton & Eden 2014 was a dotted one.

So you have seen the "sunray" examples?

The award numbers for Oscar II Jubileumsminnestecken 1897 was as following:

Light blue: 232
    Dark blue: 268
    Red: 49 (12 went to the royal family)

Apparently it exists some faked red ones, where they have used a blue enameled one and re-done the enamel in red. 

Could it be "Nordiska riddareordnar och dekorationer" by Arvid Bergman you are thinking of?
    Another book that shows some of the recipients by picture is "Kungl. svenska riddareordnarna jämte konung Oscar II:s jubileums-minnestecken" by Robert Södermark 1907.

Here is my so far only piece, awarded to a female:

P1030558.JPG

Dear fellow collectors,

here is a picture of the medalbar of the last prince of Waldeck-pyrmont, Prince Friedrich Adolf. He was the brother of the Dutch Queen-regent Emma. He doubtlessly had more international familymembers, most likely thje reason he also received the jubilee medal. It is the last medal on the medalbar, sadly, I took the picture from the wrong angle ?. I know that there are pictures on the internet of the bar, where you can see the medal better. In another case in the museum was another version of the jubilee medal, on a female bowribbon, which most likely belonged to his wife.

Kind regards, laurentius

IMG-20190420-WA0012.thumb.jpg.788cc5b331c278cd9372dfe4be0d9c99.jpg

Here are one. Its not mine.

{FB4C5A62-E9A4-45E4-8DBA-6DCDE155679B}.jpg

9 hours ago, laurentius said:

Dear fellow collectors,

here is a picture of the medalbar of the last prince of Waldeck-pyrmont, Prince Friedrich Adolf. He was the brother of the Dutch Queen-regent Emma. He doubtlessly had more international familymembers, most likely thje reason he also received the jubilee medal. It is the last medal on the medalbar, sadly, I took the picture from the wrong angle ?. I know that there are pictures on the internet of the bar, where you can see the medal better. In another case in the museum was another version of the jubilee medal, on a female bowribbon, which most likely belonged to his wife.

Kind regards, laurentius

IMG-20190420-WA0012.thumb.jpg.788cc5b331c278cd9372dfe4be0d9c99.jpg

That medal with the blue, seraphimeblue, ribbon was given to 232 people.

I have never seen a miniature of these. Only heard about them. Are they in your collection?

3 hours ago, Micke said:

Here are one. Its not mine.

{FB4C5A62-E9A4-45E4-8DBA-6DCDE155679B}.jpg

That medal with the blue, seraphimeblue, ribbon was given to 232 people.

That is the one from Morton & Eden auction. 

38 minutes ago, JohanH said:

I have never seen a miniature of these. Only heard about them. Are they in your collection?

That is the one from Morton & Eden auction. 

No its not in my collectrion.

Edited by Micke

Yes, both are in my collection, apart from these I've only seen perhaps 2-3 on auctions in the past 30 years. You may see similar examples in the Royal Castle Collection in Stockholm if the chains (Oscar II etc) is still on display. Interesting enough it took me 20 years to find a dark blue example whereas the pale blue can be found in quantities.

The dark blue, högblått, variant was awarded to the livréet, The staff that working in the royal castle. it was awarded to  268 persons.

Its little strange that there are more pale blue then dark blue out there. Because the pale blue, serafimer blå, was given to persons close to the king and was awarded to less people, 232.

On 11/10/2019 at 09:17, Micke said:

The dark blue, högblått, variant was awarded to the livréet, The staff that working in the royal castle. it was awarded to  268 persons.

Its little strange that there are more pale blue then dark blue out there. Because the pale blue, serafimer blå, was given to persons close to the king and was awarded to less people, 232.

Actually, if you give it some thoughts it's not that strange. A Royal person or a high ranking person like a prime minister or general would need a miniature group on a frequest basis and all would have at least one miniature group (many would have several), whereas a court servant would not need a miniature group in his civil life at any occations (generally speaking). When on official duty they would wear their full size awards!

That's why you do see the miniature Red and Pale Blue badges whereas the Dark Blue miniature is rarer seen!

Edited by larsb001

Thank you for all replies!

I´m a bit surprised that no one seem to own a full size in red enamel to show. 

I´ll let you know when and if I find one for my collection! And if anyone have a tip to where I can find Swedish jubilee medals I would happily listen. Both fullsized and minis. 

I have some full-sized Swedish jubilee- and commemorative medals that I planned on putting for sale on ebay this winter, because I want to refine my collection. One of them being the dark blue enamelled one mentioned above.

Which ones are you looking for in particular?

The ones I need for my collection is the following:

Oscar II 1897 - light blue enamel
    Oscar II 1897 - red enamel
    Gustaf & Victoria 1906 ( I have the medal but not the ribbon)
    Gustaf V 1951
    Carl XVI Gustaf 1996
    Victoria & Daniel 2010
    Carl XVI Gustaf 2013
    Carl XVI Gustaf 2016

And all the jubilee medals as awarded to women with a bow (except Oscar II 1897 dark blue).

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 01:39, larsb001 said:

Actually, if you give it some thoughts it's not that strange. A Royal person or a high ranking person like a prime minister or general would need a miniature group on a frequest basis and all would have at least one miniature group (many would have several), whereas a court servant would not need a miniature group in his civil life at any occations (generally speaking). When on official duty they would wear their full size awards!

That's why you do see the miniature Red and Pale Blue badges whereas the Dark Blue miniature is rarer seen!

Yes you are right.

• 1 month later...

I have seen both the one with dotted surface in the red enamel, like the one right above here and the one from Morton, and one with more like a sun ray pattern in the red enamel. The ones with dotted surfaces are way more common, if common even is a word fitting this red medal, than the one with sun ray. 

Notice hat the dark blue one also has the dotted surface. 

A friend of mine is selling a red Oscar with dotted surface. Feel free to send me a PM if it is of interest. 

Do you know why there are two variants of the red enameled one?

As far as I know all medals where made by C.F. Carlman in Stockholm and I don´t understand why they should have made two different variants when there was so few to be awarded. I suppose all medals was awarded during the same visit to Norway. 

7 hours ago, Micke said:

Hello

I was to Livrustkammaren in the Royal castle in Stockholm. There was two of these medals was shown.

one red and one blue mounted for lady.

IMG_1268.jpg

Thank you for a great photo!

I am quite sure those are the medals that were awarded to Oscar II wife, Queen Sophia of Nassau.