News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

From a bavarian officer's album ca. 1866-1900

Hi all,

I recently got some friendly, very efficient help in Identifying a bavarian officer from imperial Germany here:

There is a small number of nice CDV-photos in the album where this one came from, that show bavarian army officers I would love to see identified, too. So I thought it would be good to start a thread for these photos and I will add them here when I find the time to take pictures good enough to show. Looking forward to any input on these!

And here is the first man... A senior officer, Oberstleutnant? Picture taken in Straubing, I think it is a "5" on the Epauletten. This picture luckily has a name on the back but I cannot decipher it - it is a dedication "to his beloved old friend Elsässer" (who owned this Album), written on 18. May 1901.

Cheers
    ArHo

Straubing (3).jpg

Straubing (2).JPG

Straubing (1).JPG

Wow, that was fast - and obviously too easy ? - thanks Glenn!

Now here in contrast is a really tricky one which, I am afraid, perhaps cannot be definitely solved at all (or only with another, named picture to compare) - an officer from Amberg with his wife. Unfortunately no name, no medal bar and the numeral / symbol on his Schulterstück is impossible to identify, even with a magnifyer, so I can only assume he also belonged to KB6IR. Any guesses?

But anyway - I really love the medals of his wife, awarded for her service as a nurse or the likes in 1870/71 as she has the noncombatants commemorative medal for that conflict. ? Have a nice sunday!

AmbergPairA.jpg

AmbergPairAB.jpg

Hi Arho,

difficult to be certain without awards but I am going to take a guess at the then Major Albert Schenk of 6. Infanterie-Regiment around 1897/98. Pictured here as a Generalmajor about 10  years later.

Regards

Glenn

1032912816_schenkalbert1.jpg.f7e3e7991fe84aefb7739e10b40cfaac.jpg

On 01/12/2019 at 13:02, ArHo said:

Wow, that was fast - and obviously too easy ? - thanks Glenn!

Now here in contrast is a really tricky one which, I am afraid, perhaps cannot be definitely solved at all (or only with another, named picture to compare) - an officer from Amberg with his wife. Unfortunately no name, no medal bar and the numeral / symbol on his Schulterstück is impossible to identify, even with a magnifyer, so I can only assume he also belonged to KB6IR. Any guesses?

But anyway - I really love the medals of his wife, awarded for her service as a nurse or the likes in 1870/71 as she has the noncombatants commemorative medal for that conflict. ? Have a nice sunday!

AmbergPairA.jpg

AmbergPairAB.jpg

Very nice.
    The first medal is the bavarian Zivilverdienstmedaille.

• 2 weeks later...

Glenn: Thank you - great! I am very sure that's him (The Nose and ear are too similar for any coincidence) - now I will do some research on his wife :-)

So first of all here ist one man I was able to identify (I hope...): It should be Oberstleutnant Jakob Hitzler 6. IR, Erlangen (father of Jakob Ritter von Hitzler, t 1915, Militär-Max-Joseph-Orden). I like his set of battle-clasps of which I could until now only decipher "Paris". More to follow...

Best

Hitzler (1)a.JPG

Hitzler (2)a.JPG

30 minutes ago, dedehansen said:

Hi ArHo,

maybe theses?!

614266769_0GefSpg.jpg.940a181e588761c39c6a922e8daf4668.jpg

Kind regards
    Andreas

Wow, thanks @Utgardloki@spoleiand especially @dedehansenfor your input! I'll have one on you guys tonight ?

@dedehansen I think you nailed it! I took some time to check and it looks like the 12th bavarian IR took part in all these battles, great! I combined my and your picture to make the similarities clear - if you dont want that please tell me and I will remove it. Cheers

GefechtsspangenHitzler.jpg

Hi Arho,

I tend to agree that it is indeed Jakob Hitzler. It would pre-date his 1 January 1902 award of the BMV4a. He is shown in the 1871 Militär-Handbuch as an Offizier-Aspirant (Junker) in the 7. Infanterie-Regiment. However, there is another possiblity: Oberstleutnant Benno Brünn, Landwehr-Bezirkskommandeur of Kaiserslautern around the same time and who had exactly the same decorations and wore the number 6 on the epaulettes. Oberst Brünn was a Junker in 2. Jäger-Bataillon in 1871.

Regards

Glenn

On 15/12/2019 at 19:53, Glenn J said:

Hi Arho,

I tend to agree that it is indeed Jakob Hitzler. It would pre-date his 1 January 1902 award of the BMV4a. He is shown in the 1871 Militär-Handbuch as an Offizier-Aspirant (Junker) in the 7. Infanterie-Regiment. However, there is another possiblity: Oberstleutnant Benno Brünn, Landwehr-Bezirkskommandeur of Kaiserslautern around the same time and who had exactly the same decorations and wore the number 6 on the epaulettes. Oberst Brünn was a Junker in 2. Jäger-Bataillon in 1871.

Regards

Glenn

Very nice Glenn! Well so it means: keep on searching - perhaps there is a picture of Hitzler in one of the regimental histories (I will try to order them in my library).

Cheers

Well and - before I post the last images from this album - here he is: Meet Mr. Martin Elsässer from 1866 to ca. 1890. I love this series which shows this proud bavarian officer changing with the years... ?

Elsässer1866-1890.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And the first part of the rest, three gentlemen from Amberg...

As always I am very grateful for any help on these men!

All the best for 2020

ArHo

Amberg 2.jpg

Amberg 3.jpg

Amberg.jpg

And the second part of the rest - a man with a medal bar from Erlangen (Major upwards), an Oberstleutnant with 13 on the Schulterstücke (?) from Ingolstadt named "Schenk" (?) dated 6.10.1901 - and a group of four men, from IR 12 (?), taken in Ulm.

Again, thanks for any help and have a good start in 2020 wherever you are on this planet.

Alles Gute

Erlangen.jpg

Schenk Ingolstadt (1).JPG

Schenk Ingolstadt (2).JPG

Ulm (1).JPG

Ulm (2).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

No one? I would still be grateful for ony info - these are the last, promised ? And I will try to pay back by being a productive member of this community, of course!

Cheers

48 minutes ago, ArHo said:

No one? I would still be grateful for ony info - these are the last, promised ? And I will try to pay back by being a productive member of this community, of course!

Cheers

Unfortunately there are some guys whose identity is lost forever... especially pre WW1 officers...

24 minutes ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Unfortunately there are some guys whose identity is lost forever... especially pre WW1 officers...

I know, I know, you are right - but, you know, "hope dies last"... ?

I managed to identify some early birds (around 1860) during the last years myself but I cannot access the bavarian Militär-Handbücher I would need for this album (they are not online yet for the 1880s+)

Grüße!

58 minutes ago, Glenn J said:

ArHo,

we have met Albert Schenk earlier in this thread. Unfortunately one cannot perform miracles on identifying obscure officers wearing just the Überrock.

Regards

Glenn

No problem at all Glenn - like I wrote I am extremely grateful for all your help until now! Thanks to all of you I now know much more about these men than I ever hoped to...

Best

ArHo

Edited by ArHo