News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Awards of Char. Konteradmiral Friedrich von Kühlwetter - Help needed

I found this nice photo of Friedrich von Kühlwetter displaying his awards. The photo caption says it was taken on his 25th wedding anniversary. He was married in 1893, so that means the photo was taken in 1918. Source for the photo: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Friedrich_Felix_Maria_Hubert_v._Kühlwetter_(20.11.1865_-_09.01.1931).jpg

He was retired since January 1912, but during WW1 he was re-activated as z.D.-Offizier and served as Judge at the Prize Court in Kiel (03 August 1914-18 August 1914), then held several commands in Turkey until March 1915 when he was Commanded to the Imperial Admiralty Staff (00 March 1915-08 November 1916).

His commands in Turkey:

- Placed at the Disposal of the Special Mission for the Ottoman Empire (19 August 1914-30 August 1914)
    - German Commander on the Bosphorus (with the rank of Ottoman Generalmajor), at the same time Chief of Staff with the Commander in Chief of the Straits (31 August 1914-23 December 1914)
    - Placed at the Disposal of the Inspector General of Coastal Artillery and Mine Affairs of the Special Command Unit Turkey (24 December 1914-10 January 1915)
    - Chief of Staff of the Special Command Unit in Turkey (11 January 1915-00 March 1915)

He is not listed in the 1916 or 1918 Rangliste, and his entry in the 1911 Rangliste only lists three awards:

- Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 3. Klasse mit der Schleife
    - Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz
    - Königlich Bayerischer Orden vom Heiligen Michael 4. Klasse (mit der silbernen Krone) (the silbernen Krone is visible on the photo, above the second to last medal that I pressume is the St. Michael Orden?)

The excel "seeoffiziere Gesamtliste" reveals two additional awards:

- Königlich Preußischer Kronen-Orden 2. Klasse (27. 02. 1917)
    - Kaiserlich Türkische Silberne Medaille zur Erinnerung an den Besuch Kaiser Wilhelms II. 1889 in Konstantinopel

As he obviously had more awards, I ask for help in identifying the rest of his awards:

Around the neck

- Königlich Preußischer Kronen-Orden 2. Klasse

Medal bar

- Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 2. Klasse

- Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 3. Klasse mit der Schleife

- Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz

What follows are 4 round-shaped medals, my guess is that the first 3 are colonial medals (please tell me if you agree with my guesses, and especially the classes of these medals!)

- Kolonial-Denkmünze ???

- Südwestafrika-Denkmünze in Bronze ???

- China-Denkmünze in Stahl ???

- Königlich Preußische Kaiser Wilhelm-Centenarmedaille 1897 ???

- Fürstlich Schaumburg-Lippisches Kreuz für treue Dienste ??? (cross-shaped medal that very much looks like the Lippisches Kreuz für treue Dienste, does anyone agree?)

- Königlich Bayerischer Orden vom Heiligen Michael 4. Klasse mit der silbernen Krone ???

- Kaiserlich Türkische Liakat-Medaille ??? (the size of the medal indicates it's the Liakat Medaille. is that correct? what would be the class? I suppose Silber. No sword device is visible)

Breast star

- Kaiserlich Türkischer Medschidié-Orden ??? (is the Medschidié correct? what is the class? also, are there swords on the breast star?)

It seems he didn't mount the Kaiserlich Türkische Silberne Medaille zur Erinnerung an den Besuch Kaiser Wilhelms II. 1889 in Konstantinopel.

Thanks for any help!

Untitled.jpg

Friedrich von Kühlwetter.jpg

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

1 hour ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

- Fürstlich Schaumburg-Lippisches Kreuz für treue Dienste ??? (cross-shaped medal that very much looks like the Lippisches Kreuz für treue Dienste, does anyone agree?)

I agree, both the cross and the ribbon show convincing similarities.

I believe your summation of he medal bar is correct. 

Looking at the ribbon I too agree  that the cross at No. 8  is Schaumberg Lippe.

Edited by P.F.

12 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thank you guys!

Pierce, so you agree with all 3 of my guesses for the colonial medals and also the classes of the Southwest Africa and China medals?

Regarding the Colonial Medals- his service record should give you an indication of what types of medals these were.

4 hours ago, P.F. said:

Regarding the Colonial Medals- his service record should give you an indication of what types of medals these were.

There is no exact info in his service record about colonial service.

That's why I asked if you agree with my guesses and classes of the colonial medals based on photographic evidence only.

The Schaumburg-Lippe Kreuz für treue Dienste was awarded on 19.6.1917.  

According to the Hof- und Staatshandbuch des Königreichs Bayern and the Bayerisches Gesetz- und Verordnungsblatt, he received the Verdienstorden vom Heiligen Michael 4. Klasse in 1888. The statutes for the order were revised in 1910, upgrading this to the version with the crown.

I have no information about his service record, but I would agree with your conclusions about the Prussian/German service medals.

• 2 weeks later...