News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgium Croix de Guerre

Guest Darrell

Thanks for your answer, both for the shop where to go, and for the answer.

I sometimes see people being decorated ?nd wearing their decoration...

Then Dutchies aren't that miserly.... :P

I saw Soeur emanuelle being awarded the grandofficer of the crown, heard of the tennis-godesses being awarded the grandcross of the crown..

And yet.. Simple men still have to buy their national orders, or did King Albert II ask for the cost-price of it?? :blush::P

Us, Dutchies, we receive a certificate ?nd the decoration.

We can't buy our decorations in a certain store, as the decorations are being stamped by the royal mint...

Except for internet (2nd-hands stuff ) But the decorations have to be returned to the chancellery or must be paid when the decorandus has died...

You could try with Fibru in Brussels ... try Google for their address etc. Never went there myself but they should have some "stuff".

National orders : no, it's the other way around ... a certificate is delivered but the recipient has to go and buy the actual decoration.

Cheers,

Hendrik

heard of the tennis-godesses being awarded the grandcross of the crown..

And yet.. Simple men still have to buy their national orders

I agree this is a very sad state of affairs : so called VIP's get these as a gift from the government but your average war veteran does have to purchase his well earned medals out of his own pocket ! "The grateful fatherland" seems intent on only delivering decorations for free when favourable publicity can be gained in the press !!! :angry::violent:

However, it's nice for collectors that there are few limits to buy for their collections :P

Enough said on this I think ... it doesn't pay to go all political :sleep:

Cheers,

Hendrik

Her a luxure miniature in gold of the Belgian War Cross 1914-1918 with diamonds and gem stones

oh "luxury" what an understatement :love:

What does it's ribbon bear?? Pure gold lions??

Maybe a picture of its ribbon?? That would be very appreciated!!!

Question:

I'm a bit confused. Are the silver lion devices awarded to replace 5 bronze ones (and gold to replace 5 silver ones) (like the palms are)

OR is the difference in the lions gold, silver and bronze just to indicate the different level af the mention in the order of the day for the division, brigade, rgt.?

Thanks for clarifying

Question:

I'm a bit confused. Are the silver lion devices awarded to replace 5 bronze ones (and gold to replace 5 silver ones) (like the palms are)

OR is the difference in the lions gold, silver and bronze just to indicate the different level af the mention in the order of the day for the division, brigade, rgt.?

Thanks for clarifying

The fact is;

the difference in the lions is just to denote the level in which they have been mentioned in the order of the day.

Where as the palms just denote the number of mentioned in despatches at army level.

:beer:

Jacky

Edited by Jacky

By the way,

Nice groups of both of you!!!

I like the Article 4.

Mine has a shorter ribbon ?nd a silver palm A ( to compromise for it's shorter ribbon) :P

The Knight leopld II with palm ( ?nd Diamonds) and its counter part, the croix d'guerre with gold palm (?nd diamonds & Gems) is very very nice to see...

I see he also was entitled to the IJzer-Cross... Do you have one spare for me ?? :rolleyes:

:beer: to both of you

Edited by Jacky

Question:

Thanks for clarifying

More on this in post no. 7 of this topic : http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=7...indpost&p=38826

Cheers,

Hendrik

Well, my newest addition to my collection with respect to this thread :P

Croix d'Guerre WW2

Yes... A pink ribbon ?nd a LIIIL palm :blush:;)

Despite the HIGH PRICES :angry: they tend to ask for them

I got them for a reasonable price.. Which is all a student can wish when he wants to collect medals..... :blush:

Well enough chitty-chatty,

lets see the scan.....

Edited by Jacky

Just heard something from a well known guy....

Well known for those who know this site;

MEDEC

Yes... Mr van Brempt

He told me that Hendrik's Croix d'Guerre 1954 couldn't be true...

IPB Image

due to

Oorlogskruis 1954.

Ingesteld bij K.B. van 3 april 1954

Op het lint kunnen palmen en staafjes gehecht worden waarop het jaartal of de naam van het oorlogstoneel gegraveerd is.

So, generally speaking

Only palmes and bars with a year or name of battlefield could be worn with this Croix d'Guerre d'1954

Anyway... still a beautifull cross :D

Edited by Jacky

Just heard something from a well known guy....

Well known for those who know this site;

MEDEC

Yes... Mr van Brempt

He told me that Hendrik's Croix d'Guerre 1954 couldn't be true...

IPB Image

due to

So, generally speaking

Only palmes and bars with a year or name of battlefield could be worn with this Croix d'Guerre d'1954

Anyway... still a beautifull cross :D

Jacky,

Your comment is not exactly fair :( ...

Hendrik, on his site exactly said :

"The 1954 War Cross (Croix de Guerre)

Intended for award in the "next" war, this medal was instituted on 3 April 1954. The criteria for the award (either to individuals or to units) would allow for this decoration to be bestowed for hostilities in foreign theatres of operations as well but so far no such awards have been noted. The obverse of the cross shows the Belgian Lion whereas the reverse has the national coat of arms in its central medallion. A palm without royal cypher has been foreseen in case of a mention in despatches and also bars bearing either the year or the theatre of operations of the armed conflict have been instituted. The small lion device in the picture seems to be added by an enterprising manufacturer but is not official. Different manufacturing types exist as can be seen from the size of the central medallion on the crosses below."

Ch.

Hi Chris,

I just say that his Croix d'Guerre 1954 couldn't be true (correct)

And yes, he mentions it on his own site, correct and well-known as he is with his own stuff :beer::jumping:

But I just mention it here, because he didn't mention it when he posted his picture on this thread...

Post 16

Hendrik,

no offenses!!!! :beer: I still like the cross and your site :blush:;)

• 10 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

May I ask if the 2 medals I have here are from different eras? I notice one has the top of the crown cut out and the other has it solid, then there is the ribbons, one red and the other more salmon pink.

Any help appreciated.

C

Yes, concerning the crosses and crowns themselves,

in Belgium, people get a certificate and have to buy their own decorations, which are for sale at jewellers!!

in rough lines, they are all the same, but small differences happen to occur.

About the ribbon, if you could peer carefully below the palm or on the inside of the folded ribbon, you will see the true colour, I'm inclined to say that the right ribbon is faded.

Thanks for the replies.. I already poked about under the ribbon and device, but this is the colour of the ribbon.. maybe it got put in someones pocket then through the washing machine :rolleyes: I don't know, but thanks for helping.

C