Guest Darrell

Belgium Croix de Guerre

Anyway...back on topic. :whistle:

This brings up the point: Why is it, that we do not see a lot of Belgian Croix de Guerre with multiple devices like the one shown above by Herman?

Tim

Because there aren't many Belgians who got multiple MID's.

Jan

:lol: Hi Jan,

Why did I know that would probably be the answer!! :beer: Had to be some though!

Tim

Kicking a dead horse I know, but...another one. This one is another earlier piece (IMO) based on the type of double A on the reverse and the cutout palms.

Timcheers.gif

No lions, no gold, no silver. Nothing special, just a Croix de Guerre (Oorlogskruis) w/ Bronze Palm for Army-level mentioned in dispatches

What do you think of this "post 1954" cross. Are these mere attempts at producing one? Are they actual production items that simply haven't been awarded?

Hello,

here you can see 3 different crowns on the CdG..

The middle one is from a French medalmaker 'Delande' approx 1930's

sd5i.png

even the lions on the centerpiece are a bit different...

Detlev

Very nice Prosper! Always nice to have some history behind the item. :cheers:

Nothing as nice here; another example of the WW1 CdG. I suspected this one might actually be a more modern strike (50's-60's) probably for a veteran's replacement piece. Confirmed with Hendrik and Bjorn that my suspicions were correct. Still, nice and posted here for example purposes. Note the pattern on the cross arms.

Tim

post-548-126430228069.jpg

Hi Tim,

I'm trying to identify the exact maker of the CdG in a photograph of my Great-Grandfather. It's very difficult to make out the precise details, though the outline is reasonably clear. My ultimate goal is to buy one exactly the same (his medals are now lost). All the versions that I see on the internet seem to be slightly different in one way or another. The one you show above, that you think is a veteran's medal, is similar in many ways to his, but I find it hard to believe his is a replacement. What characteristics makes the above a replacement veteran's medal?

Thanks,

Carey.

Hello Carey,

Well, the thread is a bit old but let's show some comparisons and see what you think.

First, a group of CdG and from this distance, does any one stand out a bit different from the rest?

2.JPG

If you click on the photo, you can see it enlarged and maybe see some difference?

Now, if you look at all of them, minor differences in some details which are probably attributed to manufacturer's but all except the one in question has more of a pebbling in the cross arms. 

Here's a close up of that one and one of the others with the pebbling.  Note also the overall finish of the one in question, to me and some others it appears more modern.

f1.JPG

f2.JPG