News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

AUSTRIA. NO 4 INFANTRY REGT. 200 YEARS JUBILEE 1696-1896 MEDAL

numis

Based on your title and a simple 5 min Google search (which you could easily have done yourself based on the text on the medal) I found this: 

https://tompress.shop/de/produkt/oesterreich-ungarn-1896-jubilaeumsmedaille-zu-200-jahre-des-ir-nr-4-hoch-und-deutschmeister/

https://www.suedsteiermarkversand.at/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3656

If that is what you have, its a nice medal but neither rare nor expensive.

Kind regards, 

Sandro

Best of luck, you now know what it is called in German, so you can no doubt do your own search  now. And oh, “thank you” is common courtesy here - it is, after all, a Gentleman’s club ....

IR4 is one of the most famous regiments in the Austrian-Hungarian army. Your query is a bit generic, but perhaps this offers some responses/can help you find what you are looking for:

https://www.dorotheum.com/en/l/6704934/

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.u.k._Infanterieregiment_„Hoch-_und_Deutschmeister“_Nr._4

Kind regards,

Sandro

Edited by GdC26

• 2 weeks later...
    On 02/01/2021 at 10:54, numis said:

Thank you for the actual informational content/ part  of your postings Sandro.

You're welcome. As Chris points out, perhaps you'll get further input if you actually contribute info or pics yourself. I see you say you cannot post pics, but it must surely be possible to contribute info. Questions, of course, are not for the benefit of all, answers are - so if you have those to share (and you claim to have written books, if I understood you correctly, so you must have some) please feel free to do so, even in response to post off others. 

Kind regards,

Sandro

• 3 months later...
    1 hour ago, numis said:

In reply to Chechaco1: yes .However , the specimen you illustrate seems to lack the suspension

I think the plug makes that fairly obvious. Often widows or other relatives removed the suspension to convert them into "pocket pieces". One could easily restore the suspension. Any how with or without suspension a rare wee beastie.

P

23 hours ago, paul wood said:

I think the plug makes that fairly obvious. Often widows or other relatives removed the suspension to convert them into "pocket pieces". One could easily restore the suspension. Any how with or without suspension a rare wee beastie.

The lack of sharpness compared with the Dorotheum example, even taking into account wear, makes me wonder if this is not a cast copy*.

The plug hole is strange. All the examples in this thread have a suspension attached (soldered?) to the top of the medal rather than having a hole piercing the medal. Has this hole been made in a medal which had the top suspension removed? Furthermore, the plug appears to be of the same metal as the medal. In addition, it is almost invisible on the reverse.

All of this makes me wonder whether it is a cast copy of an original which had its top suspension removed and a hole drilled through it (why?).

* it has a number of the characteristics of an electrotype copy but I can't believe that anyone would go to the trouble.

Edited by Trooper_D

Everything is fine there, it's a stamp, the ear was broken off, the medal was mocked. The ear was soldered. But in what box the medal is now - I do not remember. This regiment is mentioned in Hasek's novel The Brave Soldier Soldier Schweik.

The ribbon, if I'm not mistaken, is blue and there is a red-white-red stripe in the middle

There are a fair number of pictures of this medal in the network. The one I showed is a stamp. I distinguish, holding in my hands, the casting from the die. But, in this case, I'm sorry, I'm not interested in further proceedings in relation to mine. )))

яф1.jpg

яф2.jpg

яф3.jpg

яф4.jpg