News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

45 minutes ago, Vit67 said:

I wonder, with this set of awards would it be possible to research the owner? I actually have no idea where to start. I would love to try. Any suggestions?

No, researching the owner of this bar won't be possible. Researching is a minute science which requires hours of work in the hopes (often in vain) of finding a name. Given the large amount of missing awards I doubt an identification is possible. If we were to 'fill in' the blanks any name we could come up with would be impossible to confirm. A great bar, but it won't get a name.

Kind regards, Laurentius

I did some mock-up in PS.  Added White Falcon, Saxe-Ernestine House-Order, and Lippe Detmold cross.  Sizes are 99% correct, knowing the measurements of the KVK =47,5mm  and measurements of the other orden we can figure out  size of the awards in the mock up.

Well it looks like there might be no number 5 at all. (the one between Saxe-Ernestine House-Order and Lippe Detmold)

mock_up.jpg

Hi

The research may still be possible. You need to see in the list of the owner of the White falcon knight cross 2nd class with X and the Ernestine knight cross 2nd class with X and the Saxe Meiningen officer cross. After that, you need to write to Solomon to see if the name you found has received the Lippe Detmold cross 2nd class.

But even with the name it is not sure 100%. I don't know if the Oldenburg's list is available. the fun of research begins

Christophe

PS : the list of Saxe Weimar and Ernestine orders are available (see Michael Autengruber or Daniel Krause)

15 hours ago, Vit67 said:

I did some mock-up in PS.  Added White Falcon, Saxe-Ernestine House-Order, and Lippe Detmold cross.  Sizes are 99% correct,

Not sure about that, the white falcon order is still too tall compare to the original stitching trace even without the ring. You also have to consider the thickness of the crown which will cause some tearing sign of the red ribbon that're not there, I think whatever was mounted there must be a lot more flat.

Can you try these two in the mock-up?

07128q00-630x_.jpg

saxe-weimar013.jpg

Edited by lew

29 minutes ago, lew said:

Not sure about that, the white falcon order is still too tall compare to the original stitching trace even without the ring

Detailed inspection showed that the KVK ribbon has very distinctive dent left after contact with the large rounded object, most likely the crown.  ring could've  been removed prior mounting or simply turned down, all medals were stitched around jumprings it would provide decent holding strength.

Also I have noticed that threads for this purpose  were carefully picked according to the medal's color.  That gives a clue for Faithful service award - golden color threads suggests 40 years service award.

I will try to research this bar anyway. We will see where it brings me.  

• 3 months later...

There was Some progress on this bar

1.  I have disassembled it

2. Sourced  some medals (including hilâl-i ahmer madalyasir)

3. Started to mount medals on to carrier ribbons

Need to buy only 5 medals so far: Bulgarian commemorative medal, Sachsen Meiningen für Verdienst im Kriege, Lippe-Detmold kriegsverdienstkreuz, S.E.H.O  and Hausorden vom Weißen Falken (last two  are costly but easy to find)

IMG_20211006_153259.thumb.jpg.664568fec571b5e6a840b9ec293d61a4.jpg

Red Crescent

IMG_20211006_153359.thumb.jpg.5bd7c3b73adb8923fece4eb249be26e9.jpg

When I removed the ribbons inside of some of  them  I found rings belonged to original awards

it looks like they were just ripped off....

this is how I found out which Faithful Service cross supposed to be there....

IMG_20211006_153333.thumb.jpg.69bed968504e44b68c7c28c3f96850bd.jpg

Edited by Vit67

• 2 years later...
    On 07/10/2021 at 23:20, VtwinVince said:

Other than as an exercise in Schnalle construction, I fail to see the point in 'restoring' this particular bar.

Agree. This isn't a restoration project at this point (if it ever was one) with ribbons having now been removed from the bar. This is simply a reconstruction. My concern is that if it's done convincingly enough, somewhere down the line this bar will end up transitioning to an "authentic" bar in some unsuspecting collector's collection and could end being sold repeatedly over time for a lot of money.

The bar should have been disassembled and left that way.

Edited by bolewts58