News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Ar Ho and the Prussian ! the second pic shows a type of recruit not unknown in the Prussian Army specially in East Prussian and Pomeranian Regiments . they were Polish yes but also Kashubes, wendes and Pruzzi all with a certain Asian mix or better slavic . The Austro Hungarian Empire was more ,much more interpeoples sic . your pic reminds me a paint of Alexander Pock of a AH Uhlan .

Hi,

I would support Bayern this once ?

G. Steffens had his studio under this address from 1870 to 1885. I would date the photo to the 2nd half of the 1870s. A scan of the reverse could help to narrow it down further. The 1st photo (Ratibor) was taken 1890-1892. I have (in my collection) a dated photo from the studio with a similar design. Two very nice photos!

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hi @GreyC - I forgot: here you are :-) I would love to have it narrowed down as Silesia is not my usual field of collection. If taken in the 1870s be should belong to IR 62, should he? Unfortunately there is no early regimental history as far as I can see...

@Bayern and @The Prussian thanks for the feedback on no. 2 - I was not sure but now am! @The Prussian a very interesting picture with the young man with african roots! I think I have one, too, from ww1 western front but would have to search...

Cheers!

rs.jpg

38 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

I already dated the Ratibor photo in my previous post and offered to try my luck with the Berlin photo if reverse is suplied by you.

Best,

GreyC

Hi @GreyC please excuse me, I misunderstood: The reverse of the Berlin picture is completely blank, sadly, and seems to have been this way since production (no signs of a removed or added layer of paper).

Thanks and best!

ArHo

Hi ArHo,

that´s interesting. Blank reverse are not rare but most studios had designs on them that were / are typical for their times, so that it could have been possible to determine whether it was actually (as I still think) a photo from mid/late 1870s or indeed one from the beginning 1880s. The front-design was popular and was in use from the 1870s to the early 1890s. But the typo is more 1870s.

GreyC

On 27/07/2021 at 01:00, The Prussian said:

Ah, yes you´re right. But it´s more an oversight then detailed uniform parts.

I´m stil looking for a cuirassier helmet we see in the photo.

The Prussian , Try in the site : uniformology.com / RUHL 17 , apart from other countries are plates of the Imperial Chnese Army 1910

• 3 weeks later...
    On 29/07/2021 at 03:50, Bayern said:

Hello Ar Ho and the Prussian ! the second pic shows a type of recruit not unknown in the Prussian Army specially in East Prussian and Pomeranian Regiments . they were Polish yes but also Kashubes, wendes and Pruzzi all with a certain Asian mix or better slavic . The Austro Hungarian Empire was more ,much more interpeoples sic . your pic reminds me a paint of Alexander Pock of a AH Uhlan .

Hello Bavarian,

Slavs are not Asians and do not have asian facial features ? Some Russians have asian features, b/c of admixture with Mongolians, Siberian and other asian tribes/nations. And many russian citizens (with russian sounding names) are actually members of minorities. Former Russian defence minister Sergej Šojgu is half Tuvan (Siberian nation related to Mongols) and half Slav. That's not the case with Poles. But you got the right point - there is small Tatar minority in nowadays Poland, and some of them surely served in Prussian army too.

• 3 weeks later...

Bonjour,

There were other uniforms too.

This is coming from an article in L'Illustration, published 24 June 1905 under the title "Le Péril Jaune".

It places the officers as follows :

"Seven Chinese Officers, who have already spent 4 years in the Wou-Chang Military Academy, started serving in Germany. 3 are attached to Field Artillery, garrisoned at Wesel, 3 other ones in a Regiment of Hussars, in Düsseldorf, and the last one in the Engineers, at Deutz."

The Kürassier looks like the left one of the Hussars ?

Chine.jpg.c5fe3d871bd61c4e7a98c40e361c3d73.jpg

Cdlt,

Jérôme

Edited by Djedj

All very interesting. Of course we know of the close connections between the Chinese and German armies, and the same with Afghanistan. I guess you could call these cases of 'reverse cultural appropriation' with Asians trying to look like White people LOL.

It appears that such "adaptation" of the local uniforms was the rule for the Chinese officers detailed by European Armies at that time - until end of 1909 apparently.

The Austro-Hungarian press would precise :

1792273050_ChineDragon.jpg.8a13c56c768d71ac208fe071295a4371.jpg