News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show your Sweden miniatures

Johan & Jonas. thank you so far for trying to identify those two groups with the Bravery Medal and this discussion.

I cannot add much more about the regarding the ribbon mounted group. I bought it from Mynthuset in 1995 and they claimed it came from the estate of Janek, but on the other hand they were not 100% sure. I was often in Stockholm at that time and discussed the provenience with Jönsson from Sveavägen who referred to an recent published article in the NNF magazine anout the awards of the Bravery Medal in Gold with Crown. I understood that only a few, 2-3, were awarded with Crown and that Janek should be one of them. I also discussed it with Jan Selin (the older one) who took a special interest in the Bravery Medal, he claimed that Janek would also be a possibility, the same message came from Bjarne Ahlström. But if Janek only got the Silver medal it cannot be him! But with those very few awards of the Medal with Crown I assume an identification could be possible if you have the lists? The miniature itself is different from the others I've seen, the front and back is struck as two separate disks which is then soldered together.

Regarding the chain the Bravery medal is actually gilded Silver (although it may not appear as such on the scan), so actually the Gold Medal and as I understand you this could be atributed to Erik Stålberg? Do you happen to have more info, searching using google doesn't really add much?

Thanks, Lars

Edited by larsb001

Here's some information about Erik Stålberg:

https://dellenportalen.se/personer/erik-stalberg-delsbo/

To find information you can use:

To find people (military photos etc)

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/digitala-forskarsalen

The royal Swedish orders:

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/amnesomrade?postid=ArkisRef+SE%2FKH%2F1&infosida=amnesomrade-militaria&flik=1

Information about persons and the Decorations they got can sometimes be found in the Swedish Statskalender:

http://runeberg.org/

And now some more miniatures:

PXL_20211020_122129357.jpg

PXL_20211020_122148498.jpg

PXL_20211020_122232970.jpg

PXL_20211020_122251730.jpg

PXL_20211020_122211818.MP.jpg

Edited by Jonas E

On 18/10/2021 at 11:49, GM1 said:

Here are some of mine, with the  Royal Order of the Polar Star (in gold),  Commemorative Stockholm Summer Olympics 1912, Swedish Landsturm medal, among others.

Sadly no attributed.

Bert regards,

GM1

K7QeLG.jpg

Mqp7Z7.jpg

i9iOMI.jpg

0z1DZc.jpg

iP2rhK.jpg

L37aU7.jpg

nyp79B.jpg

On 18/10/2021 at 13:50, JohanH said:

Nice miniature chain!

And now it is attributed too... :)

Generallöjtnant Thomas Georg Nyström 

Born: 1865-06-20 in Karlskrona

Died: 1942-11-01 in Stockholm 

image.png.8dcc76637bea5d6e01b549ca9fd65f56.png

Thank to JohanH:

The orders are as following:

Order of the Sword - grand cross (not mentioned in the list because his entry is on the page showing grand crosses)
    RCXIII:sO = Knight of the Order or Carl XIII (Freemasons)
    RNO ( Knight of the Order of the North Star)
    PersLSO2kl (Persian Lion and Sun Order 2nd class)
    KÖFrJO m kr (Commander of the Austrian Frans Josef Order with breast star)
    KBKrO (Commander of the Belgian order of the Crown)
    KDDO2gr (Commander of the Danish Dannebrog order 2nd grade)
    KItS:tMLO (Commander of the Italian Order of S:t Maurice & Lazarus)
    JHSO3kl (Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure 3rd class)
    KNedONO m sv (Commander of the order of Orange-Nassau with swords)
    KNS:tOO (Commander of the Norwegian Order of S:t Olav)
    RPrRÖO2kl (Knight of the Prussian Red Eagle Order 2nd class)
    OffFrHL (Officier of the French Legion of Honour)
    OffFrdel'Ip (Officier de l'Instruction Publique)

f. 65 means he was born in 1865 and the last date (30 6/6) is the date he received the grand cross of the order of the Sword.

Nyström.jpg

Another from my collection: 

A high Belgian civil servant or diplomat with the commander cross of the Polar Star among others. 

Especially the 7th in row is a mistery: the medal of the Belgian Royal Household (under king Albert) - Medal for servants of Foreign Courts or Foreign Heads of State, for services rendered during official visits (instituted, on 21 July 1889, in three classes (bronze, silver and silver gilt)), although the ribbon is from the King Albert Medal.

Cheers

Belgium_1.jpg

Belgium_2.jpg

11 hours ago, larsb001 said:

Johan & Jonas. thank you so far for trying to identify those two groups with the Bravery Medal and this discussion.

I cannot add much more about the regarding the ribbon mounted group. I bought it from Mynthuset in 1995 and they claimed it came from the estate of Janek, but on the other hand they were not 100% sure. I was often in Stockholm at that time and discussed the provenience with Jönsson from Sveavägen who referred to an recent published article in the NNF magazine anout the awards of the Bravery Medal in Gold with Crown. I understood that only a few, 2-3, were awarded with Crown and that Janek should be one of them. I also discussed it with Jan Selin (the older one) who took a special interest in the Bravery Medal, he claimed that Janek would also be a possibility, the same message came from Bjarne Ahlström. But if Janek only got the Silver medal it cannot be him! But with those very few awards of the Medal with Crown I assume an identification could be possible if you have the lists? The miniature itself is different from the others I've seen, the front and back is struck as two separate disks which is then soldered together.

Regarding the chain the Bravery medal is actually gilded Silver (although it may not appear as such on the scan), so actually the Gold Medal and as I understand you this could be atributed to Erik Stålberg? Do you happen to have more info, searching using google doesn't really add much?

Thanks, Lars

Lars, do you know for certain that the full size medal was with crown?

Since private purchased miniatures don’t always correspond exactly to the full sized awarded medal. I think we all have seen examples were the miniature is of a different type or class than the awarded one. 

With such a rare medal as yours it could be that the jeweler only had the new type with crown…

Here are a few more. 

One French that I hope to be able to ID in the future. 

1.thumb.jpg.a2bc41a6260e49cfc9415579fd3e4230.jpg

One Finnish from a person who fought in three wars. Libertywar, winterwar and continuation war.  

2.thumb.jpg.96b186fd87f2f729c8594aed860dfff9.jpg

And the miniatures that belonged to Carlo von Dardel. The Swedish consul in Australia. 

3.thumb.jpg.f5f3cb7f427e98322e1ddf9edf6dcdcd.jpg

11 hours ago, JohanH said:

Lars, do you know for certain that the full size medal was with crown?

Since private purchased miniatures don’t always correspond exactly to the full sized awarded medal. I think we all have seen examples were the miniature is of a different type or class than the awarded one. 

With such a rare medal as yours it could be that the jeweler only had the new type with crown…

Johan, I never saw the full size medal, they clearly mentioned that they have had the full size medal with crown so I never really questioned this, the miniature is clearly made to be crown mounted. But if someone have choosen a miniature medal with crown instead of one without crown I cannot know. I do have groups (not Swedish) were a certain award was replaced by something else, but in those cases the front would be more or less identical so nobody would really spot the difference. However, I wouldn't expect this to be the case with such an award as the recipient would (most likely) attend events where it would be obvious that the man would wear something he wasn't entitled to.

On 21/10/2021 at 11:10, GM1 said:

A high Belgian civil servant or diplomat with the commander cross of the Polar Star among others. 

Especially the 7th in row is a mistery: the medal of the Belgian Royal Household (under king Albert) - Medal for servants of Foreign Courts or Foreign Heads of State, for services rendered during official visits (instituted, on 21 July 1889, in three classes (bronze, silver and silver gilt)), although the ribbon is from the King Albert Medal.

Cheers

Belgium_1.jpg

Belgium_2.jpg

A picture of the reverse side...

Belgium_3.jpg

Thank you for your contributions Their are more then i expected when t i started this topic

I enjoy all those rare items listed by the members They are really very rare and nice an showed the real dedications of those who collected them

I wish I could have contributed more, however i am glad that the topic sparked a very nicely surprising response

Regards

Graf

Here are a few more.

The chain of Olympic shooter Paulus Palén. 

P1050818.JPG.d99f3871e62bacf5b44318fb46aa79ea.JPG

Unknown volunteer from Svenska Brigaden in Finland. 

P1050817.JPG.e9aba40ffde8f27ee3bd158507ed25b3.JPG

Unknown skiier. 

P1050815.JPG.0598f6dfdc0d16db813652c169764b36.JPG

Unknown NCO. Probably a navy guy since alot of russian medals went to naval personnel. 

P1050812.JPG.98fcf5119de8721534c92f19b4461c30.JPG

Unknown person with the Stockholm medal and a Romanian medal. 

P1050811.JPG.2def9017bcd63b2849ac5ee06fef058f.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a bit slow here laterly...

So here are a few more pieces. Nothing spectacular though. 

P1050871.thumb.JPG.1cbe386dbaf0d431e060e8d8e389a5a2.JPG

P1050873.thumb.JPG.a1a78351cccdd1d5419e03ab608a8a69.JPG

P1050877.thumb.JPG.0184fa80bb5af94bf5293fc2fae893d7.JPG

The above miniature from the Royal Patriotic Society is not the more than common Long faithful service variant but the much more rare/unusual variant "För förtjänster om yrkenas förkofran".

P1050879.thumb.JPG.a7374bfb6b2dc2f68b3a0dc8f89fff34.JPG

On 21/10/2021 at 11:10, GM1 said:

Cheers

Belgium_1.jpg

Belgium_2.jpg

Thank to @JohanH and the combination of the Polar Star and White Rose Order I finally managed to identify this miniature chain.  It belonged to Leo van Puyvelde, curator of the Belgian museums of fine arts and one of the monument men during world war II.

More information:

https://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/van-puyvelde-col-leo

Cheers,

GF1

I have confirmation of the following orders by the different Chancelleries:

Grand Officer Order of Leopold (Belgium)

Grand Officer Order of the Crown (Belgium)

Commander of the Order of Orange-Nassau (Netherlands)

Commander of the Legion  (France)

Commander Order of the Polar Star (Sweden)

Commander Order of the White Rose (Finland)

tbc: Dannebrog and Order of the Italian Crown. Doubt about the first one, not sewed... and the ribbon is larger than the rest.

On his Obituary confirmed:

Commemorative medal of the war 1914-1918

Interallied Victory MEdal

Commemorative medal of the 100 years of Belgium's independence.

Cheers,

GM1

4 hours ago, GM1 said:

tbc: Dannebrog and Order of the Italian Crown. Doubt about the first one, not sewed... and the ribbon is larger than the rest.

No mentioning of him in the Danish Court- and State-Handbooks (any class of Dannebrog), so I think your doubts are justified.

The Dannebrog is also the Christian IX version, which would mean he was awarded it before he turned 25... highly unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are two that has a connection to Finland. 

Neither are attributed yet, but I think it would be fairly easy to find the original owners of them. 

The first one probably belonged to a Swedish doctor who made some effort in/for Finland during the war. 

A quick search gave me a possible name that I need to look up further. 

P1050969.thumb.JPG.a27eb04105fd78caa34e3ebcbef09b55.JPG

The other one is a miniature chain that probably belonged to a Swedish veterinary who also made some effort for Finland during the war. 

P1050971.thumb.JPG.64cdce2278e0ab3342d07ad75b79e023.JPG

• 1 month later...
    On 19/10/2021 at 13:04, GM1 said:

Another miniature chain, with the Order of the Sword.

Best regards,

GM1

cadena1.jpg

cadena4.jpg

cadena2.jpg

cadena3.jpg

This miniature chain is attributed to Luitenant General Karl von Kinzelbach (1860 - 1919) from the Royal Wurtemberg army.

Kinzelbach_1.JPG

1 hour ago, GM1 said:

This miniature chain is attributed to Luitenant General Karl von Kinzelbach (1860 - 1919) from the Royal Wurtemberg army.

Kinzelbach_1.JPG

Nice work ID:ing the chain!

Karl Theodor von Kinzelbach received the Commander 2nd class of the Swedish order of the Sword on December 22nd 1909. Then he was listed as "Tysk överste" = German colonel. 

Interesting that the miniature on the chain is of the knight class rather than the higher commander class.

But the knight class miniature was probably easier to obtain than the higher classes. 

Hi Johan,

Yes, good observation. However from the position on the chain one can suspect that it is 2nd Class Commander.

Also on the picture Karl Theodor von Kinzelbach is wearing Colonel uniform.