News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear fellow collectors,

I bought these pictures a few months ago and I managed to identify them with the help of the Freiburg archdiocese archive. Benno Friedrich Kramer was born in 1888 in Hechingen and died in Jungingen in 1949. When he died he was spiritual counselor, papal secret chamberlain and chaplain of the Malteserorden. His work as a priest was interrupted by service as a 'feldgeistlicher' from 1914 to 1918. During this time he received the EKII, HEK3x and the ÖFJ3. Would it be possible to find out the exact dates? Attached you'll find his pictures and his record.

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurentius

Kramer Karteikarte.png

20211011_165307.jpg

20211011_165323.jpg

20211011_165316.jpg

9 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Kriegserinnerungsmedaille (Österreich) with swords to the right

It is, combined with the ÖFJ it gives me the impression he did something with the Austrians too.

7 hours ago, Komtur said:

HEK3X

Kramer, Benno, Lazarett-Pfarrer in Roulers, Etappeninspektion 4. Armee am 22.10.1916

Thank you Komtur, you're a great help

The people at the archive managed to find out his personal papers which they have given to me. These five pages largely contain information about his military career, although it was written after his death by someone only vaguely familair with the inner workings of the military apparatus, hence a few mistakes.

432593735_Screenshot_20211012-155053_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.a5c87c8a51cce4331ee9590105147ee9.jpg

Under 9. we can see that Benno Kramer had part in a fight on the ukrainian front, the name is indecipherable to me sadly. This explains both the Franz-Joseph Orden and the Austrian commemorative medal. Furthermore he was present at Langemarck-Ypern, St-Quentin and the battle of the Somme. Some of the heaviest fighting on the western front took place there. It is a comforting thought to know that he was there to give peace of mind to the soldiers not far from death.

1134296665_Screenshot_20211012-155058_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.feb3a53470709c32ce57745afe8368b4.jpg

This document Shows his decorations. Note the many mistakes. He received the Hohenzollernerische Ehrenkreuz 3. klasse mit Schwertern, not the Hohenzollernerische Hausorden. If it weren't for the Fürstlich added as an adjective one might believe he received the HoHx. It is also described that the received the 'offizierskreuz' 2. klasse of the 'Hoher Österreichischer Franz Josephs Orden' which is also wrong. He received the Ritterkreuz 4. klasse. These mistakes appear sloppy, but wouldn't lead a experienced collector astray. The last description however would put a researcher on a wrong path. He wore the Austrian commemorative medal with swords. He did not have the Austrian bravery medal with swords and crown. 

Although they only had five pages his personal files give a small insight into his daily life. This combined with his eulogy and other information I found out paints a picture of a kind, compassionate man devoted to his parish. All one could wish for in a priest.

Kind regards, Laurentius

• 9 months later...

Thanks, Laurentius, that's an unusual portrait and an even more interesting research!

:beer:

On 12/10/2021 at 22:27, laurentius said:

Note the many mistakes. He received the Hohenzollernerische Ehrenkreuz 3. klasse mit Schwertern, not the Hohenzollernerische Hausorden. If it weren't for the Fürstlich added as an adjective one might believe he received the HoHx. It is also described that the received the 'offizierskreuz' 2. klasse of the 'Hoher Österreichischer Franz Josephs Orden' which is also wrong. He received the Ritterkreuz 4. klasse. These mistakes appear sloppy, but wouldn't lead a experienced collector astray.

The "Fürstlich Hohenzollerischer Hausorden" is actually not wrong, but its grade should indeed be named "Ehrenkreuz" instead of "Ritterkreuz III. Klasse". Your Austro-Hungarian Franz Joseph order's grade, however, is wrong as well. It's just "Ritterkreuz", and not "Ritterkreuz 4. Klasse". Indeed, the 4th class is the order's knights' cross, or lowest grade below Grand cross, commander and officer. It seems being 100 % accurate is quite complicated, same for them back than as for us today...

;)

Edited by saschaw