News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Distinguished Service in the Protection of the National Frontiers

Nice one Paul... I like the earliest examples from the 1950's.... missed a nice one Igor had. I have no logical connect with BG items, but for some unknown reason they appeal to me...... (cringe, cringe, cringe goes the Guru)

LOL... I know what you mean. This medal holds a strong appeal with me as well.

Kinda symbolic... the patina gives the effect of the guard standing watch before the "storm". Gray and dreary!

I waited for a real silver version.

Beautiful example Dolf!!

Paul,

They are all beautiful :love:

One of my favorite Soviet Medals, along with the Medal for 20 Years of the Worker's and Peasant's Red Army, the Partizan Medals, the Medal for Bravery, the Medal for Strenghtening Military Cooperation, the Defense of Stalingrad, of Leningrad, of Sevastopol, of Odessa Medals, the Medals for Distinguished Military Service... well, I love them all I guess ;)

Dolf

• 9 months later...

I am not an expert on these at all, but your medal seems to have a real lack of detail. Again, I am not experienced enough to give it a yeah or nay, but the quality does not seem to be there, based upon the photos. I would love to hear the opinions of more experienced members.

Regards

Paul

Gerd,

Why do you say that? OK, I am a little uneasy about the Partisans but with the Borderguard Medal and the Protection of Public Order you'll need to be a bit more specific. The ring may look so-so, but the sharpness of detail (or the lack of it) could be due entirely to scanning effects. Here is a coin, two different scanners - and even the Queen looks different! If I did not know it was the same coin I would have said the second one is made of cheap metal, is lacking in detail, the face is distorted (especially the cheekbones), the hair is wrong and so on and so forth.

Hmm, I do hope that my coin is genuine :unsure:

Sergei

Gerd,

Why do you say that? OK, I am a little uneasy about the Partisans but with the Borderguard Medal and the Protection of Public Order you'll need to be a bit more specific. The ring may look so-so, but the sharpness of detail (or the lack of it) could be due entirely to scanning effects. Here is a coin, two different scanners - and even the Queen looks different! If I did not know it was the same coin I would have said the second one is made of cheap metal, is lacking in detail, the face is distorted (especially the cheekbones), the hair is wrong and so on and so forth.

Hmm, I do hope that my coin is genuine :unsure:

Sergei

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-2353-1171372678.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-2353-1171372656.jpg

Hi Sergei,

you are right, i should be more specific.

The ring of the border guard medal doesn?t look good and the detail is just not good enough in my opinion. Look at his left foot(right from my Point of view) of the soldier and his coat for an example and compare it to an original medal. The accuracy of the letter from the text on the reverse isn?t too good either. Look at the "Д" and the "й"

The Protecting the Public Medal has exactly the same problems.

ok, this is just my opinion and maybe its really just the photo, but i am still don?t think, that these are original. Better photos may convince me otherwise.

Gerd

Gerd,

Thanks. Great, a very detailed explanation. :beer:

I do not own a Borderguard/Frontier medal so it's useful for me too. I do have a Public order one but I bought it so cheaply that I started to have doubts the moment I opened the parcel. Will need to scan it and post it here.

Sergei

Gerd,

Thanks. Great, a very detailed explanation. :beer:

I do not own a Borderguard/Frontier medal so it's useful for me too. I do have a Public order one but I bought it so cheaply that I started to have doubts the moment I opened the parcel. Will need to scan it and post it here.

Sergei

You are welcome, Sergei. Unfortunately i don?t own a Borderguard Medal myself, but i have handled a few and they were allways very sharp strikes with beautiful detail. Honestly, i wouldn?t buy one of these myself without consulting a few experts before. There are an awful lot of copies and reproductions of these medals out there, its crazy...

Gerd