News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals for Distinguished Military Service

• Replies 78
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As they all look the same, I see absolutely no reason to post my (undocumented :( ) pair. The legit documents are, to my experiernce, far rarer than the badges (though they have recently, and strangely, skyrocketed in price).

I am not sure what endless threads of identical (non-varietal) posts acomplish (expect to shout "I have one too" -- big whoopie.)

Guest Darrell

So there were no variants in these? Also, I would love to see some documents if someone has some to share!!!

Likewise should have a couple in about 1 weeks time ;)

Guest Darrell

Thanks Darrell and Riley!!

Darrell,

Are you getting both of them? Are they documented?

Unfortunately not ... but I never really got into documented "non-serial" numbered medals. Too iffy if they really belong to the documents. Not that I dont have some or am getting them .. but just my take.

Yeah, since you'll never know that they match up -- absent solid provenance, and then you'll only have a strong belief -- I too tend to view the unnumbered medal as a specimen and the corresponding certificate as a ("a" not "the") document to the corresponding medal. To turn that around, you can prove (by document) that Comrade "A" was awarded the "B"; what you can never know (not even, to be honest, with the most solid provenance) is whether the "B" that you have with it is his "B". It is so much easier with named and numbered medals. Provenance (and old original mounting) increases the odds, but never to 100%. Documented unnumbered medals that come paired-up from the friendly dealers should never, I think, be seem as anything other than a "marriage", as a sum of their parts.

This is a first class document, I found it with a First class medal. I can't nor wish to prove that the medal came with the doc and was mainly interested in the paper work anyway...the extra medal was a bonus.

Chris

So there were no variants in these? Also, I would love to see some documents if someone has some to share!!!

I have a set that do not have the small nut on the screwpost. The screwpost seems to be soldered in place.

Everything else looks to be the same. :blush:

Sorry, but I can't post images here yet.

According to AVERS 6 there are three variations of both first and second class.

1. without nut

2. with nut

3. with a pin instead of screwpost

If anybody has any interesst of number of each variation let me know and I'll post.

/Kim

If anybody has any interesst of number of each variation let me know and I'll post.

Please do post that information, Kim. I'm never certain, though, where the Avers series comes up with its easy and overly confident statements. What are their sources?

Does Mondovor deal with this award? I can't recall (and navigating the Russian can grow frustrating for a Russian-illiterate like me).

Ive never seen any other variations of the medals, but I will have a look at mine when I get home to clarify.

Order of Victory,

Thank you for posting your books. I have never seen an original before(documents for this award) yet yours definately look the part!

Both of mine have a screwback post with a nut!

Of course Mondvor! :speechless: Why run to the bookshelf when the best reference is on line....

Ed I agree that AVERS is a somewhat suspect source. But take it for what it is.

1st class

1. version 6 000

2. ver. 20 000

3. ver. 1 000

2nd class

1. ver. 20 000

2. ver. 100 000

3. ver. 1 000

Perhaps Andrew (MONDVOR) can comment on these numbers. Are they just a guess or ...

Here is the mondvor direct link:

http://www.mondvor.narod.ru/MOtlSluz.html

/Kim

Thanks, Kim. While for Folks Like Me, McDaniel and Schmitt remains the source of choice, I do realize that in many ways it has been aging. While I rarely consider ANY on-line source to be up to muster when compared to something published, Mondovor is a good and valued source, from people who do their homework.

Thanks again!

Guest Darrell

Well another trickled in today. This is the 2nd Class (Silver) version. The Gold should be here next week ... :beer:

1. Obverse:

Guest Darrell

Take off the screwplate Darrell, please. What's the base of the post look like?

Not that that means a thing, just curious if it's solder or a small nut.

Here you go Eric:

a. Screwpost square: