News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Honorary EKII 1914 to a foreigner?

Helllo, 

This is the Norwegian (then) lt.col. G.Schnitler, who was the Norwegian military attaché in Berlin from 1917 to 1919. At that time he visited both the eastern and western front, and it is said he vas at the front during the great retreat in France and Belgium in the last stages of WW1. 

As a military attaché from a neutral country, I really doubt he participated in any fighting. But still, it clearly looks like he is sporting the 1914 EKII, no? And the last two medals on the right are the Preussian Red Cross medals of 2nd and 3rd class, agree?

The two medals to the left, are the medal for merit in gold and military journal price medal, both Norwegian. 

Schnitler.jpg

I have found no information so far indicating he was injured at the front, but his right eye does look more wonky than on earlier pictures of him. Unless it is just the poor quality of the picture, maybe he did take a blow at the front when he was out and observing, and the Preussians felt a bit sorry for the whole situation and gave him the EKII.

I understand than that it was not common for military attachés to be awarded the Iron Cross? What would a more suitable order be? Order of the red eagle? 

Do you guys agree that the last two medals are Red Cross? 

Did you order his book about WW1? He wrote several books, and that one is supposed to be one of the better ones. Feel free to report back if you find something intertesting :)

Interesting picture and history

I suspect because he was awarded the two Red cross medals the EK2 was given for some contribution, not participation in combat action.

It was common for German Officers to be given Orders and red Cross Awards for their contribution to a friendly country

Why not to be other way around

Thank you for your feedback on the red cross medals. 

If the EKII was for some sort of contribution, which is very posible given the red cross medals and his keen interest in Germany, should it not have been on the non-combatant ribbon? If so, could it be that he changed the ribbon to the more common type himself? Maybe he didn't quite understand the differences in the ribbons and thought he as a colonel of course should not have the non-combatant. 

4 hours ago, Kvart said:

Thank you for your feedback on the red cross medals. 

If the EKII was for some sort of contribution, which is very posible given the red cross medals and his keen interest in Germany, should it not have been on the non-combatant ribbon? If so, could it be that he changed the ribbon to the more common type himself? Maybe he didn't quite understand the differences in the ribbons and thought he as a colonel of course should not have the non-combatant. 

Very good points

On 22/06/2023 at 21:17, Kvart said:

should it not have been on the non-combatant ribbon?

Maybe, but even Germans who never saw the front-lines were awarded combatant EKII so often, that it indeed became an issue in the military and then as a result, the practice was at least followed to a lesser extent.

GreyC

22 hours ago, GreyC said:

Maybe, but even Germans who never saw the front-lines were awarded combatant EKII so often, that it indeed became an issue in the military and then as a result, the practice was at least followed to a lesser extent.

GreyC

Good point

The Dutch military attaché,  a neutral country in WW1, also received a EK2 on a combattant ribbon. His successor also. 

In total I found 4 Dutch officers who received a WW1 EK2. All issued on combattant ribbons.

Regards

Herman 

Oh yeah, look at that. He even has the Turkish red star. And the 2nd medal from left looks Swedish? 

But then we know for a fact that honorary EKII 1914 to foreigners did happen, and even to people who where not close to the front lines. Thanks! 

IF he has a swedish medal, I´ve found something...

The german casualty lists mention a Hauptmann der Reserve Joseph POUSSETTE

Born in Spanga, Stockholm, Sweden, served with Inf.Rgt.92

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/4040405

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/7651012

From the 92th regimental officers list:

Screenshot(1222).png.1f4fd223b883dfba073e984581ec5e53.png

Poussette, Josef, born in Spanga (Sweden), swedish Hauptmann d.Res.

CHECK THIS OUT:

https://slakthistoria.se/livet-forr/livsode/farmors-kusin-stred-i-persien

In the winter of 1915-16, attended the Joseph Pousette of the conflict, as was the establishment of the people's struggle for freedom, or ”holy war.” He was leading a military unit, composed of the constabulary, members of the national party as well as the professionals come out in the past. The mixed team was guerilla warfare against the Russian elite, which had both cavalry and artillery. The fighting that took place to the north and to the south of the road Kazvin-Hamadan-Kermanshah-the united states, was, however, at the end of Pousettes the strength to go into the mesopotamiskt area. From there it travelled to the swedes, to the city of Berlin. The establishment of the adventure was over.

Back in a German uniform

Also, Gustav Edwall made his way to Germany for a short stay in Sweden. He was sent back to the far East, in the German uniform, and was rewarded later with the iron cross for bravery in the field. Pousette fought for Germany in both the eastern and the western front. In 1917, he was imprisoned by the british in the region of Ypres, and was first released in August of 1919.

Isabel Edwall, which is followed by Germany, and served as an interpreter, and she was multi-lingual and is fluent in French, Turkish, Arabic, and Persian, but he is also, since English, German, French, Italian, and English. After the end of the war in 1918, king Gustav of passbyrån at the Swedish legation in Berlin, germany. The couple's son, Nils, was born in 1918, the Swedish king worked for the Swedish Electrolux AB in the German capital.

When it is no longer permitted for foreigners to work in Germany, and returned to king Gustav, to Sweden. Dating back to 1930, he served as PRESIDENT of the Hälsingborg Maltbolag, and in the company of the Peace. Five years later, he died.

Was in the army

After the first world war, Joseph Pousette rejoined the army as a first lieutenant in the then 23, in Östersund, sweden. In 1926, he was the captain level, and in 1934, he became a major. Over the years, in 1923, 1929, and in 1930, he was assigned to monitor the training of the German army. Then, in 1925, he was married to Helene Edwall, but the couple had no children. Joseph died in the 1950s.

If the photo is for sale, please let me know...😉

Edited by The Prussian

17 hours ago, JohanH said:

I can verify that it is Joseph Pousette on the photo.

Here is another one of him. 

I have so far found 16 Swedes with 1st class IC and 31 with 2nd class. 

Pousette Joseph 18880428-.jpg

Good research Comgrats

• 3 weeks later...

That was a lot of EKs to Swedes!

I have found only three Norwegians, and only EKII:

- colonel Gudmund Schnitler, military attaché Berlin1917-19

- colonel Ebbe Carsten Morten Astrup, military attaché Berlin and Vienna 1915-17

- commander Christopher Bremer Vahl Meyer, naval attaché Berlin and Vienna 1917-19

3 hours ago, Kvart said:

That was a lot of EKs to Swedes!

I have found only three Norwegians, and only EKII:

- colonel Gudmund Schnitler, military attaché Berlin1917-19

- colonel Ebbe Carsten Morten Astrup, military attaché Berlin and Vienna 1915-17

- commander Christopher Bremer Vahl Meyer, naval attaché Berlin and Vienna 1917-19

Good work