News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Combination Woven German miniature ribbons

Hallo Gentlemen;

here is a mini woven two-place ribbon in my collection, a very small snippet for a WW1 Friedrich-August Medal and the Hindenberg Cross of Honour.

It measures 22mm wide and 65mm long :jumping:

Please feel free to add any examples you may have from 2 - 6 combinations :speechless1 :

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hello Kev,

Nice thread => here is my one and only addition, but nevertheless a nice one (all do is say it myself :beer: )

combination from:

1) Sachsen - Albrechtsorden (Ritter 2 e Klasse)

2) Preussen - Eisernes Kreuz 2 e Klasse

Cordial greetings,

Edited by Stijn David

[attachmentid=38589]

Hello everyone:

Here is my contribution. This is a combination of seven (7) awards. It is 43.5mm wide, and unfortunately not very long, but interesting none-the-less. Sorry, but it should really be turned-around 180 degrees to be viewed properly in the order of precidence.

OK, let's have a contest, who can tell me first what the awards are (I know, but thought it would be fun for others to guess)? Please no entries by Stogieman or Rick Research or their immediate families!

Rick, here is where you come in, please tell me to whom the ribbon belonged. I have an idea, but it is just speculation. Note that I have two other examples possibly from the same recipient which I will post.

Thanks,

"SPM" (still around, but busy at work!)

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Some of you are prolly tired of seeing this, as I drag it out at the slightest provocation, but one lives in hope of an eventual ID. It doesn't really look like a multi-award ribbon, but it doesn't look like anything else, either. All I can say for sure is that it's been on the EK for a long time and it's got a fold consistent with being on a bar. Can soeone help me end this agony? BTW, the EK is an MFH with silver frame and nicely blued core.

Gentlemen,

Having been away from the Forum because of a family crisis, I will celebrate my return by probably making a fool of myself; but here is a guess at Rick?s version of SPM?s ribbon combo.

1. Baden Fidelity Order

2. Baden Karl Friedrich Order, knight

3. Baden Zahringen Lion, knight

4. W?rttemberg Order of the W?rttemberg crown, knight

5. W?rttemberg Olga Order (?)

6. Saxon Duchies Ernestine Order, knight

7. Saxony (Weimar) Order of the White Falcon, knight

How did I do? :unsure:

Wild Card

Some of you are prolly tired of seeing this, as I drag it out at the slightest provocation, but one lives in hope of an eventual ID. It doesn't really look like a multi-award ribbon, but it doesn't look like anything else, either. All I can say for sure is that it's been on the EK for a long time and it's got a fold consistent with being on a bar. Can soeone help me end this agony? BTW, the EK is an MFH with silver frame and nicely blued core.

Hallo Tom Y, :beer:

looking at the weave of the ribbon itself it reminds me of something I once saw at a flea-market in Bavaria, Germany, the object, I was looking at was an original Hindenberg Cross for Combatant, but the ribbon appeared to have been copied and hand woven, when I asked about the object the seller told me he had found it amongst his Grandfathers effects which had originaly come from Czechaslovakia.

The quality of the work i,e. copying of the colours, was very well done but the material used, (maybe wool) left a very uneven apperance across the surface of the ribbon.

Maybe some of the other members might have encountered this, another example is to compare the quality of the ribbon on the Czech version of the Inter-Allied Victory medal from WW1 again it appears very rough when compared with the ribbons of other countries Victory medals.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Excellent job Wildcard!

I will consider you the winner as we have no other takers! Position #5 is probably a Hessian Ludwig's Order however. It is probable that there is nothing as lowly as a Knight's badge that was part of this grouping, the context leads me to believe that the recipient probably had Grand Cross badges of the listed Orders. OK, Rick and Stogieman, you may now participate!

I am beyond my "per post or global limit", so the other photos will have to wait (sorry).

Thanks!

"SPM"

Hi Christian!

Nice combined ribbons. :love:

Also my brother has some WWI.... but more WWII ones.

Here the WWI.

Ciao,

Claudio

Hallo Claudio & Christian, :beer:

very nice combination ribbons, :jumping::jumping:

perhaps we can save the WW2 ones for that particular section of the club (WW2)

Many thanks for sharing your ribbons :cheers:

Kevin in Deva.

Guest Rick Research

Christian and Claudio!!!

:jumping::jumping::jumping: I absolutely LOVE those "overlapped" ribbons that were obviously meant to be worn from a tunic buttonhole-- mimicking TWO ribbons worn that way!

I have never seen "live" examples of that style before this Happy Day! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

The tiny ones from 1939+ that Claudio has posted were probably intended for lapel roll wear.

Hi SPM,

I agree. Of course, most, if not all, of these ribbons most likely represent awards higher than knight?s grade. :speechless: I?ve been away too long; don?t know what I was thinking. :banger:

I considered the Ludwig?s Order; but went with the Olga Order because of it?s proximity to the W?rttemberg Crown ribbon; it could go either way, but I think that your are probably on target. Maybe one of our learned members can identify this combination and give us the answer.

Thanks for the challenge :cheers: and best wishes,

Wild Card

Dear Wildcard and Daniel:

Thanks for your comments regarding the ribbon. Rick Research wins the prize (he has AMAZING powers which us mere mortals can only dream of obtaining!) for guessing who a probable recipient was. The ribbon belonged to Grand Duke Friedrich I of Baden (or possibly another important male member of the Grand Ducal family). Unfortunately, there is no way to be certain. This ribbon came from Autengruber a few years ago, about the same time that Baden Grand Ducal awards started appearing on the market. So, if one puts this together, it is likely that Friedrich I was the recipient.

Yes Daniel, I am very interested in more examples, so let us see them! I have two more examples, but can't post them (I went for quality instead of quantity and used-up my image allowance!).

The first example consists of the Baden House Order of Fidelity, Order of the Zahringen Lion, Russia, St. Vladimir Order, and Russia, St. Anne Order.

The second example consists of the Baden Order of Fidelity, Baden Military Karl Friedrich Merit Order, and Order of the Zahringen Lion.

These all came from the same source and were undoubtedly from the Baden Grand Ducal Household, but alas, there is no way to be certain that they belonged to Grand Duke Friedrich I.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Hi SPM,

that combined Baden Ribbons were originally used for that old style miniature Barettes.

They needed just some centimetres but had to wove a good metre so we have some remaining pieces around.

Here are the other examples from my collection:

Dear Daniel:

Thank you for showing us your ribbons! I have identical samples of ribbon that you show in post #21 and in post #23. You are right about the barettes, that was a very popular style during the early to mid-1800's.

I am fascinated by these ribbons and I find them rather uncommon. WWI examples are not rare, but are not too often seen either. These pieces are a fascinating diversion for the ribbon collector. Who ever thought that a few inches of silk could signify historical social status and brave deeds to the extent that these little gems do!

Gru?,

"SPM"