News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for a Veteran of the Armed forces of the USSR

Guest Darrell

• 1 month later...

Gentleman,

Whilst on the topic of veteran medals, I have come accross medals for Veteran of Labour both with a dark patina applied to the obverse of the medal as well as with no patina at all (i.e. obverse and reverse both silver cloured). There is no mention of this medal with no patina in the "Red Bible" and yet these medals seem to be around. Can anyone help with this?

Cheers!

Guest Rick Research

Yes, I have both types. I think just a manufacturing variation like the differences with the Ministry of Defense 1970 jubilee badges.

Or maybe the spray on finish machine was broken on one day? :cheeky:

There are not only the variations "with patina" or "without patina". Veteran of Labor medal has more prominent variations on the obverse. If anyone interested I can post some comparative pictures at the evening to explain what I mean.

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Don't suppose anyone might by chance have an extra of one of these Veteran medals? I had one that I got when I first started out in Soviet awards but now it's turned up missing. I've gone through everything several times and can't find it. I can only imagine it was somehow lost in the move (which is not likely as it was in a small riker mount with other medals all of which are here) or was stolen. Again I can't see how but I just can't imagine what else happened to it.

If you by chance have a spare please nudge me with a PM and hopefully we can work something out.

Mucho thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi all,

Don't suppose anyone might by chance have an extra of one of these Veteran medals? I had one that I got when I first started out in Soviet awards but now it's turned up missing. I've gone through everything several times and can't find it. I can only imagine it was somehow lost in the move (which is not likely as it was in a small riker mount with other medals all of which are here) or was stolen. Again I can't see how but I just can't imagine what else happened to it.

If you by chance have a spare please nudge me with a PM and hopefully we can work something out.

Mucho thanks! :beer:

Dear Dan,

sorry .... , one of my medals is (with document) in the "Kandybin-group" http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11948 and the other one (without documents) is in the collection of my 7-year-old daughter Milica, a keen violinist and something like a "Wunderkind" (already winner of some competitions), who is fancy about orders & medals since her early time and has an rather impressive (for her age) collection of Soviet and YU Awards.

But - as Ed already noted - such a medal costs almost nothing. Have a look at the website of Alexei: http://home.netcom.com/~merezhko/medals.html - USD 16,- for Medal + doc is not too much ;) .

Coming back to the discussion at this thread:

I don't believe, that such "golden" veteran medals ever existed till 1991. I assume, that this "gold-wash"-type of the medal has been a "marketing-trick" of our well known forgers in eastern Europe ;) .

I also don't believe - as Gerd Becker already noted -, that Stalin forced all the veterans to exchange their Belgrade-Medals to MMM. I think, that's bullsxxt :mad: . Belgrade is Belgrade & Tito is Tito. What has the liberation of Belgrade to do with the greed of Marshal Tito for western money & credits some years later :speechless: ? That wouldn't have been comrade Stalin's style, to take away the Belgrade-Medals from the chests of the veterans ...

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Ed, Christian... many thanks for your help on this. Wanted to let you know I managed to get one which I hope will be here by the end of the week (knock on wood)!

Just wish to high heaven I knew what happened to my other one. I really can't believe it was stolen as there were much more expensive and desireable items than that and yet everything else is accounted for. And as it was sealed in a small riker with other medals and all those are accounted for... I can't see it having gotten lost. But I've searched high and low and it's just not here. So no idea. If it ever turns up all the better I guess but for now I've filled the empty spot again:

Thanks again! :beer:

Hi all,

It finally hit my mailbox... here are some scans:

Obverse is nice and dark and back is bright silver. Wish to high heaven I knew what happened to the one I had before but glad I was able to fill the void after I discovered it was gone. :jumping::jumping:

Dear Dan,

congratulations - that's an extremly cute looking medal :cheers: .

I like the strong contrasts at the av. :love: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hi Christian,

Mucho thanks my friend! :beer: I too love the contrast on the obverse... really brings out the inscriptions and overall design. :love:

Glad, you found one, Dan. :cheers:

Here is a ribbonbar to a general with this Medal

Hi Gerd,

Many thanks my friend! :beer: Love your bar... and to have one that actually belonged to a General is nothing to sneeze at. Be great if you could trace who it belonged to but figure that would be a tough one. But it's terrific for sure! :love::jumping::jumping: