News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello everyone, I was researching the medals that Father Rupert Mayer won in the WW1, I know that he was awarded three times (1st and 2nd of the Iron Cross ), as he lost his leg in combat, I suspect that the third decoration is the wounded badge, but I didn't find anything about it, also, as he died in 1945, it is likely that he had the Hindenburg Cross, could anyone confirm for me what his medals?

Beato Rupert Mayer.jpg

Hello, Father Rupert Mayer was a divisional chaplain in the Bavarian army (8. bayr. Reserve-Division).
    He was born in Stuttgart / Württemberg, on 23.1.1876
    Awards:
    Bavarian MVO 4th Class swords and 4th class crown + swords on ribbon for war-merit
    Württemberg Friedrichsorden 4th class
    EK1
    EK2
    Austria Militärverdienstkreuz 2th class
    He was seriously wounded by an artillery shell and lost a lower leg .
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Mayer

Edited by spolei

On 20/04/2024 at 01:49, spolei said:

Hello, Father Rupert Mayer was a divisional chaplain in the Bavarian army (8. bayr. Reserve-Division).
    He was born in Stuttgart / Württemberg, on 23.1.1876
    Awards:
    Bavarian MVO 4th Class swords and 4th class crown + swords on ribbon for war-merit
    Württemberg Friedrichsorden 4th class
    EK1
    EK2
    Austria Militärverdienstkreuz 2th class
    He was seriously wounded by an artillery shell and lost a lower leg .
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Mayer

His medal bar would indicate that he didn't get the Austrian MVK 2, but the Order of Franz Josef (Knight) on Kriegsband for combat service.

12 hours ago, bolewts58 said:

His medal bar would indicate that he didn't get the Austrian MVK 2, but the Order of Franz Josef (Knight) on Kriegsband for combat service.

Here two copies of the Stammrolle. Both say Ö MVK2, but on the picture he had a knightscross of the Franz-Joseph-Order

Pater Rupert Mayer (1).jpg

Pater Rupert Mayer (2).jpg

Edited by spolei

It's the unofficial 8th Bavarian Reserve Division badge. In the first photo he is wearing on his collar (the correct location for it). In the second photo, he is wearing it above the EK1.

8th Bav Res Div badge.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

32 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

I think, P.F. means the "badge" he wears BELOW the EKI on the photo which we see in the show case.

Could we have a close-up please?

I think it may be a Papal States order such as the Order of St. Sylvester. Close-up shots are needed to be sure.

Posted (edited)

It doesn't appear to be any papal decoration, none of the Vatican's official decorations have this format, they are all breast stars, in addition it appears that he is also wearing the Prince Alfons commemorative badge, correct?

Edited by Flávio P.Z.Peixoto

14 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Check this out...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/393891922824

I don´t have an idea... Maybe the Militär-Sanitäts-Orden?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militär-Sanitäts-Orden

The medal was received from 1914-1921. Maybe he received it after the war?

Great find! 

I don't think it is the Militär-Sanitäts-Orden (I don't think this came as a pin-back award).

Perhaps it could be the Fürstlich Hohenzollernscher Bene Merenti? 

HHO.jpg

Hello!

Ah, ok. My fault. I thought the ribbon belonged to the cross...

But a closer look proofed, that I was wrong.

The ribbon really looks like the Prinz Alfons!

The cross could be the Bene Merenti, but I don´t see the black edgings of the cross-arms, but that can be an optical illusion.

Unfortunately I couldn´t find any infos about awards he received after 1918.

He could habe worn it with the reverse to the front because he was a fan of Coco Chanel, who was also a opposite of the Nazis. Just joking.