News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Red Bible Has Arrived!

• Replies 150
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see what lies inside that excellent cover

How could I not give into that request??? Here's the first page! :P (So now you know what's inside the cover...) :cheeky: (Sorry, I'm being cheeeky...)

I actually wish I could e-mail the book out to everyone, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to sell any if I did that!

Dave

Edited by NavyFCO

How could I not give into that request??? Here's the first page! :P (So now you know what's inside the cover...) :cheeky: (Sorry, I'm being cheeeky...)

Well Dave...I said it was a "teaser trailer" .... I just did not know how right i was on the first of the two words!! Good one.

Jim

Just got my first proof of the book today. It looks GREAT. There are a few "oooops" things I found in it though, so I'll fix those. My proof with the final cover on it isn't due for another two weeks or so, but once that's in and if it looks good, I'll have my first batch printed up. I've discovered that the company takes about 1 month to fulfill an order, so I expect to have some books to offer sometime around early to mid December (just in time for Christmas!) :beer:

I have also contemplated a "Deluxe" version with photos in it (the current one has no photos, unfortunately) but I have yet to find a printer that can get me copies for less than around $85 per copy (contrast with $40 per copy for the print only model) so for now, the print-only version will have to suffice. :cool: I've been looking through my copy, and I'd definately buy one! :cheeky:

Dave

Dave,

At some point I would like to see a version with pictures. $85 is right in line if not below the price of any good referrence book. Just some food for thought. I await the opportunity to purchase your current work.

:beer: Doc

Hi Dave,

I too would love to be able to get one of the ones with pictures as I know that will add so much to it. I'm going to be saving my pennies. Had one job fall through but going to go try for another which if it works out I'll have alot less time but more $$'s to dedicate to the hobby which will be nice. And of course your book is at the top of the list. Who knows... I might get one of each... with and without pics! :P:beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

At some point I would like to see a version with pictures. $85 is right in line if not below the price of any good referrence book.

Thanks Doc :beer:

Actually, I don't really consider it a reference book. I consider it more of a memorial to the brave men whose deeds are memorialized in the pages of the book. It is their deeds that wrote the book - I simply compiled them in English for we westerners to read. :blush:

Interestingly enough, it might just be that I have owned all of the groups in the book, but reading through it this evening I am not certain that photos would really add all that much to it. It's kind of hard to explain, but I think folks will see what I mean once they get copies and and read through it. We'll see what the consensus is after the first 10 or 20 books are sold. :beer:

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Geez .. what's going to be more valuable in 20 years? The medals or the "Out of Print" books? :unsure:

Hey, just try to find much less buy some of John Angolia's early books! :o Methinks the books have been a good investment for some time. Only problem with mine is that I've read them so much and they're so dog eared that they'll not grab the top prices. :( But I've loved them and devoured them and they've been very entertaining and educational for so many years that I've already gained so much... anything else would be icing on the cake. But I fear I'll be dead and gone before they'll get sold... unless my son Nick decides to jump into all this whole hog.

Dan :cheers:

OY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o

Don't worry about it too much. I had one listed for less than half of that on Amazon and it never sold (there was one listed for way, waaaay, waaaaay more than this one currently at the time I listed mine.)

I was hard pressed to get $150 from one minty copy I had and $75 from a used one. I really doubt this guy will get his asking price... though it only takes one buyer!

Dave

I know we spend a great deal of effort trying to keep researchers "under cover"... will this book and that back cover photo blow opportunities down the road???

No, especially considering that the researcher is planning to launch his own website on Soviet awards research here in the not too distant future.

Dave

Now his own website as in "Service Available"

As far as I'm aware, it will be a "how to" and "service available" website. :beer: That way, no more cloak-and-dagger or anything like that... just go to www.xxxxxxxx.com and folks can be on their merry way to research!

:jumping:

Interesting....so I ask....why do some members get a rap on their knuckles or have their posts/threads removed when mentioning or questioning researchers. After all hosting your own website does sounds pretty transparent to me .... I still fail to understand why researchers should get in any trouble unless the information is still classified and is not authorsied to leave the archives.... and if russians (or some specific ones) are authorsised to carry out research, then it also makes commercial sense that these services be sold to those in other countries or who do not have access to archives ..... Just wondering really!

I still fail to understand why researchers should get in any trouble unless the information is still classified and is not authorsied to leave the archives....

As I understand it, it's legal to do the research in the Archives. You simply walk in, request an award card and/or citation or service history, and you can read it there in their "reading rooms." Even when I was there as a foreigner ten years ago the research assistants were quite accomodating (at least as far as they could reasonably be...) :P

However, to most "average" people, the personnel records are still off-limits, as are any classified award cards and/or citations (the latter includes most modern citations that you see...) The researcher has the ability to legally obtain such documents (after they are santized and declassified) and then forward them on to you. How they can get them, I am honestly not sure, but they can.

Is there a risk that the Russians could close down all research? Not really. (Although anything is possible over there, but it's not likely.) However, I think there might be some risk to getting out the personnel files and the formerly classified materials, and that's the part that's worth being cautious with.

Hope that helps.

Dave

One other thing to note... While it's worth protecting sources because of some of the formerly classified items and personnel files, I don't think it would take anything more than a blinding flash of the obvious to anyone concerned with the Russian archives to know that things that probably shouldn't (according to their rules) be released out of the archives are being released from the archives. All one has to do is search through the researched groups part of this forum or visit a few dealers at the SOS or OMSA show to see multiple examples of what types of items aren't supposed to be out, but are.

Dave