News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It ?s a Fake?

NOT a fake. That is a pillowback style cross made by the maker "AWS". ( A. Werner & S?hne, Berlin )

These are a hard to find variation and usually bring a premium on the market. They can

be found in screwback and pinback versions and can be found with silver or brass frames.

I have one just like yours with a brass frame and iron core.

Congrats on finding a very nice cross.

Edited by gregM

Please explain the story/holes on the bottom one. Very interesting!

no real story, it's merely an EK1 that has had the pin and catch removed so that the cross could be sewn flush onto a tunic or coat; sometimes individuals would do this so that the cross would not snag on something and get ripped off. pilots were known to have done this due to the close confines of a cockpit. the obverse on this cross shows a lot of exposure to the elements.

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

The obverse explains it. In the first photo, the holes appeared not to go all the way through, which left me trying to figure out how the attachment worked. I've got one where the holes were punched through the frame, but this is the first I've seen where the holes were punched through the iron core. Very nice and interesting.

• 1 year later...
    • 9 years later...

Hi GregM,

As you stated in one of the posts

"NOT a fake. That is a pillow back style cross made by the maker "AWS". ( A. Werner & S?hne, Berlin )

These are a hard to find variation and usually bring a premium on the market. They can

be found in screw back and pin back versions and can be found with silver or brass frames.

I have one just like yours with a brass frame and iron core"

I got the same brass core model. After looking in all existing materials

I came to a conclusion that the Bras core screw back model never had a big plate only the screw which is also made of brass

On some other forum sites the owners of this model were not happy that the "big disc" is missing.

All crosses I researched none of them had any sign of previously existing big plate plate/disc  The patina on the back, on all of them, showed very even pattern

Best

034.JPG

035.JPG

036.JPG

• 3 months later...