News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxon Medal bar with RARE mounting style

Another recent pickup in Germany. This is a 4 medal bar for a Saxon EM, I think. The medals are the 1914 EK2, Saxon-Albert Medal with swords, Hindenberg and Saxon Landwehr LSC 2nd class. What is very rare is the mounting style. The ribbons kind of hook on to separate attachments. Really cool!!

Guest Rick Research

Evil Ricky had one once... wonder who he sold it to?

Apparently one tucked the exposed "girders" up out of sight under the civilian jacket lapel.

It's a wonder this Leutnant's Albert Order didn't have its enamel battered to bits swinging around on this straaaaaaaange style. (Tuck those rings back inside the ribbons and that will prevent SOME movement.)

The Saxons originally wore "Austrian" trifolds, but switched to the "normal" German style pretty much by after 1871. Sometimes anachronistic WW1 awards on trifolds show up from "True Green" Saxons. So this is a "nationalist" fashion statement as well!

WoW! Thanks Paul for showing this very unusual mounting!!

My first glimpse of such an arrangement....cool!

And Rick, your one looks pretty cool too! with its 'stealth' hanger....

Thanks gents for sharing!

Keep them coming...

Cheers,

Paul.

The Saxons originally wore "Austrian" trifolds, but switched to the "normal" German style pretty much by after 1871. Sometimes anachronistic WW1 awards on trifolds show up from "True Green" Saxons. So this is a "nationalist" fashion statement as well!

Bear with me, but that period falls into a "dead spot" in my studies. What would the connection have been?

--Chris

Bear with me, but that period falls into a "dead spot" in my studies. What would the connection have been?

--Chris

Saxony was one of the south and central German states who sided with Austria in the conflict with Prussia in the middle of the 19th century. Until the 1860s, Austria probably had more influence on south German military developments than Prussia.

W?rttemberg, BTW, also had a form of trifold at use in various times.

Concur with Dave on the trifold/influence posture. I've also seen quite a few W?rttemburg awards on trifolds over the last few years or so, including a drop-dead gorgeous Friedrich's RK w. Swords on the traditional trifold w. snap!!